Animated ship GIF tutorial | GIF heavy | Taking requests.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Creating a seamless GIF animation for your ships!

If you cannot create one yourself I can create one for you! PM me with a request and a link to your ship.

Hello there! Today I'm going to try create looping gifs!

Things you will need:
    - Starmade
    - Video capturing tool (I used FRAPS).
    - Video editing tool (I used Adobe Aftereffects).
    - Photo editing tool (I used Adobe Photoshop).
    - A Decent PC to capture gameplay on.
    - Xpadder
    - A gamepad

1. Set up a button on your gamepad to be horizontal mouse movement. Use a button to ensure movement is a constant speed.

2. Set up your game for recording, this means running in windowed mode. I used a borderless window at 1920x1080 resolution.

3. Get into the ship you want to record, move to a location away from everything.

4. Hold both shift keys and scroll backwards to zoom out till the ship fits entirely on your screen from any angle. Doing it this way allows the free camera to be stuck on and ensures you wont cut off part of your ship.

5. Start your video capture, hold the button on the control that you assigned to mouse movement for a few full rotations, just to be sure.

6. Once you have your video file, open it in your video editing program, trim the video so it loops seamlessly, This can take a while!

7. Once you have saved the seamless video loop, open it in a decent photo editor. Photoshop CS5.5 allows you to import videos to layers. (file > import > video to layers)

8. Select all the animation frames and resize them to at least 1/4 of original size. Add any labels, text or logos that you want.

9. Export as an animated GIF (file > save for web and devices in photoshop)

Here are some ships I've done.

Lucem, super smooth animation (374 frames):

Others (120 - 170 frames):

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    If you have a numberpad, you can use mouse keys instead of xpadder and a controller, they are located here in the control panel Control Panel\\Ease of Access\\Ease of Access Center\\Make the keyboard easier to use

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    If you dont mind, I would love to have one of these for my ship, but I dont have any of the tools (or a computer that can do this). If you can, it would mean alot to me. PM me if it is a yes.

Reaction score
    I couldn\'t stop laughing! I don\'t know what\'s so funny about rotating Starmade ships. Very nice.