Android

mou

Reaction score
    Starmade runs java with shine engine
    Android can run shine engine and run java
    So I guess it shouldnt be that hard to adapt starmade on android
    Sure it takes lot of time but I m pretty sure starmade will come one day on android
    What you guys think?

Reaction score
    Playing graphically-intense games on a 4 inch wide screen sucks monkey cajones.

Reaction score
    Personally i dont see this happening. game dosent properly scale windows even on minimal 800x600 resolution, so i would be near imbossible to fit it smaller mobile phone screen. But just for curious thing it would be fun to see how crappy fps it would get.

Reaction score
    Pretty sure that starmade doesn\'t use the same \"Shine\" engine you are thinking of.

Reaction score
    Perhaps for the \"Steambox\" is what was meant? Possibly on a tablet?

mou

Reaction score
    screen size not a problem here, sounds like you never played a game on your phone

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think this could work... You guys are thinking of running starmade as it is now on an android device. That wouldn\'t work. Of course it wont run well because its a PC game. But think of how minecraft has minecraft pocket edition for mobile devices. Thats what i want to see. A similar starmade moblie verion.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don\'t think that is best idea. Pocket edition misses majority of the features from original game. I think best way would be making some kind of Android port that would be compatible with PC game (so you can join same servers etc.), just with lower graphics and draw distance.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Minecraft Pocket edition is a complete re-write from the ground up of Minecraft. So it lags behind the main release, has fewer features, and is not server compatible. In other words, it\'s the worst possible way to port something to Android.

That being said, just because StarMade is Java, and Android runs Java, doesn\'t mean you can just run one on the other. OddHACE is quite right, the UI would have to be re-designed. But that\'s not the hard part. The root problem is that, Shine or no Shine, underneath it all, it uses OpenGL. and OpenGL on Android is rather different than OpenGL on a desktop. I\'ve torn my hair out trying to write OpenGL code that runs on both Desktop and Android. It\'s almost a completely different implementation.

I\'d love to take a hand at some aspects. Does anyone remeber the girl who wrote a Second Life client? It had no graphics, but you could log in, check inventory, chat with others, and do many basic things. That sort of StarMade client would have some use. You couldn\'t play with others the same, but you could socialze with them, catch up with your faction, etc, while on the road.

Unfortunately the source code is obfusticated. That makes any 3rd party trying to add value to StarMade an exercise in frustration. My ship viewer/editor is taking ages to do because of this lack of vision by StarMade. But that\'s a whole other conversation....

mou

Reaction score
    did you even see graphics of games on smartphone today? dude my phone for example have 1.4ghz 4 cores and 2 gb ram and tegra graphics

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    i would love to see ship creator on android it would be more than epic for starmade :)

Reaction score
    Yeah.. ARM processors aren\'t comparible to desktop / laptop ones.

I\'m not saying there couldn\'t be a version of the game (or even just ship editor or something), but the CPU on a phone has much less power than those on computers.