An Idea for Turning Speed

Reaction score
    Radioactive carbon based sour fruit entity is absolutely correct^^

Reaction score
    All that is needed is a \"Turning boost block\". I don\'t think we need to go crazy with the physics here.

Reaction score
    I\'m not saying that the thrusters would actually have to be placed like that, since we currently can move in any direction with thrusters facing one way, but it would make it more realistic and balanced.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    We have to take care about these balance problems:

• Bombers don\'t want to fight the main guns. They want to attack in blind spots.
    • Battleships should not hunt a small little fighter. Currently they hunt a single fighter like a criminal-vessel where the pilot commited 100 worst-case crimes.
    • Big ships should be faster, but small ships should not be outmaneuvered by them.

I think if battleships want to turn as fast as fighters, they should have little less thrust efficiency (reaction weels for example increase weight)

The argument about require resets is also _invalid_, because (not only would it make the game too complicated or even laggy but also) turning speed of the ship is \"borrowed\" through an inverse turning (less mass * more speed) of an Reaction-Weel-element from the Reaction-Weel-element.

You don\'t want to turn forever, right?

______BTW_______

What I guess (not think to know) about \"quantum?\" physics currently (correct me if I am wrong):

Reaction weels increase weight, right?

Thus everything flying around a center of mass may increase weight too?

Example on electrons/atom-cores: Electrons only fly at the speed of light around the core. Increasing the velocity vector means, that electrons hit the light-speed-barrier and have a longer time \"behind\" the core.

To avoid hitting the light-speed-barrier, they may go into a higher orbit, where they have more time ->per cycle

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Why? Because a bigger ship has higher mass. So it takes more thrust to obtain a similar movement. The proportion used for the linear increase should be balanced to make smaller ships have a higher turn speed (withou making big ships have the same rotational speed as the earth).

Reaction score
    Yea 500m/s

Add planetary, solar and galactic vectors then we are at ~550km/s (?) :D

+1 for turnrate buff block that debuffs linear acceleration

Moar details:

The argument, that you need reaction weels the size of a battleship is _invalid_. We currently don\'t have fluids which turn without friction! We could use them as near-light-speed reaction weels.

wat?

You need counter mass to turn your megaton vessel. Fluids without friction? Wat? Reaction wheels are massive disks of metal driven by electric high torque, low rpm direct drives and mounted on special low friction bearings. No suprafluidic stuff. Since youe have friction, you will have a difference in rpm of ship and wheel, the more often you turn. Same with gyroscopes for navigational purposes. Need reset/calibration/compensation annually. But not in a game i hope.

We have suprafluidic stuff, but no proper applications yet.

This is all very fascinating, fancy stuff, yay.

But we just want to give some game-relevant contructive ideas and mention their possible problems if getting too detailed and are not designing a new suprafluidic vortex reaction control system ( which I just patented ;)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    ( which I just patented ;)

Yay :) We need an ingame pantent agency too :D And a lot of patent-trolls and patent-dodging pirates !!!

We currently don\'t have fluids which turn without friction! We could use them as near-light-speed reaction weels.

It would allow you to instantly redirect the motion vector to the opposite from a layer0-clockwise to a layer1-counter-clockwise ring-tube (a U-shaped switch which inverts the direction) by applying pressure on the vertical axis (thus decreasing the volume available to the super-fluid in one ring).

Thus you don\'t have to accellerate or decellerate the super-fluid, just keep it at high speeds. It would allow a continous reset.

I am a bit curous, if it is possible to have pulse-thrusters on small ships docked on a big ship and use the inertia difference of ship masses for power production. Would it decrease the efficiency of the thrust mechanism equally? I think it depends on velocity differences (start/end of thrust pulse) only, but power production is not just velocity diff, but v*m.

On really big ships with hyper-modular thrusters (more than 1 hierachy level), you could get insane ammounts of power back.