An amusing competition idea Dev Builders vs Player Builders

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Now in this case one or both sides provide the ship or station shells to use worked with and things go crazy from there. In this case all the insides of any station or ship are gutted and it is up to the builders to fit things in as able.

The main rule is the ship/station has to remain as close to the original design as possible externally at least.

The locations of certain things like ship cores, faction blocks, shop blocks, and major rooms stays the same but their structure is up for grabs.

Locations of doors leading inside/outside can't be moved either. Transporters and Undeathinators are falling under this as well but their locations can be moved, their numbers in how many their are however can't be changed. :)

That said basically 99% of the insides of the ships/stations used would be up for grabs and it'd be fun to see who could make the better ships/stations with the same shells. :)

At this point it is just as idea but it'd be fun to do once the ships they are making come out. :) Anyone got their own ideas?

Reaction score
    I would enjoy having a crack at refitting some of the official ships, see what I could squeeze out of them.

JonasWalker

Old Newb
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    I'm going to be brutally honest. As much as I like the Dev's even under these limitations they will get creamed by the more competent community builders much less by the real master builders. Entirely due to the fact while the Dev's spend a lot of time building and testing the game, the latter spends just as much time actually playing it and there is a very big difference between the two types of experience.

Reaction score
    Possibly a more successful angle would be the Dev Team, in a series of what are Team-on-1 build-offs.

Last I knew, Bench was the Logic Dev, Criss was the Hull Dev, a third one was the Weapons Dev, and a fourth guy was the "all other systems" Dev.

Meanwhile, we've got people like Skylord, keptick, Raiben, NuclearFun, CrimsonArtist, ... (the list goes on and on my friends) who can do everything at once.

I still think the Dev team would get creamed, but at least they'd have a proper chance in some of these build-offs, if only because there's at least 3 of them to our Lone Builder.

On the other claw, either version of this proposed competition might actually get some of the Devs to see how the players are actually using and abusing the tools we've been given, and would help illustrate where and why we keep saying we need new tools, instead of refurbished ones. (
    docked reactors spring immediately to mind, though docked shields are an "issue" too.)

JonasWalker

Old Newb
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    I wouldn't mind the Dev's being able to get some field experience from the better builders in the community but the real question is of time. Any spent on doing as such just means less they have to devote to StarMade or other work seeing as many of them are currently part time.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I'd say picking a weekend or a day after a patch/update might work.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Having seen so many complaints about the rate of development on the forums, I can't be the only one to complain about wasting the devs' time.

The master builders already get their badges. No need to spike the ball.