Ammunition

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I know this has been done before in fact I have made a thread about this before, but I had some new thoughts on the subject.

First let me state that I don't believe ammo should be required, it should be optional.

Now people have wondered how you would load the ammo. After all going to each turret or weapons computer would be tedious.
    I suggest using a plex storage, or make a plex ammo storage that you can link to weapons computers and turret docking points.

Also ammo needs to have some perks for being optional. One perk could be that using ammo means you use less power. Another option is that ammo has effects so that you don't have to use effect blocks. The downside to these would be that if you run out of your ammo, your weapon will be less effective or possibly unusable.

Then of course there is the question of how you would get your ammo. One option is the crafting system. This could also regulate the quality of the ammo depending on what you make it out of.
    You should also be able to buy it in shops, but its availability should be limited.

Last edited:

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    @jzimmerman4 , the OP is not old. It's a new spin on an old subject.

I think the only way ammo would work out well is if it were a pretty straightforward buff, like increased damage. Effect ammo would be redundant since we already have effects. I say one or the other, and effects on the gun really make more sense because a particle beam has to be constructed differently than a laser, a plasma exhaust-compression weapon has to be constructed differently from an energized railgun, etc.

This might be an okay addition to the game, but I have a feeling the community won't receive it well. People practically riot every time fuel is mentioned.

I can see personal weapon ammo catching on a lot more to be honest, mainly because by and large, people aren't used to fighting on foot and don't have expectations for it.

Reaction score
    Effects can provide any effect ammo can have, and you don't need to manage ammo. There's really no reason to add ammo at this point.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Effects can provide any effect ammo can have, and you don't need to manage ammo. There's really no reason to add ammo at this point.
    The idea that I had was that you could use ammo to replace effects blocks on you ship. The downside would be that once you run out of ammo you no longer have the effect.
    Effect blocks would still exists. You would just have to decide which one you wanted to use. Effect blocks or ammo.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    This is interesting, it effectively provides somewhat of a second tier of weapons. More effective but much more expensive. Ammo as an ALTERNATIVE is actually something that would be fun to see ingame, I'm just not too sure about the balancing though.

You should change the title to "ammo as an alternative" so that people don't instantly dismiss it.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If ammo is implemented, we could use it with logic to create fire-patterns.

Ammo-factory -> storages (act as clips)
    Each storage block, 100 seconds of fire for an equal sized weapon?

I'd like it more as a second reload factor rather than something you have to buy.
    Fighters may reload at carriers to save mass/size/value(in credits)
    Turrets may drain ammo from the ship for a better turn-rate (of-course this is made balanced when implemented - sooner or later)

A self-sustaining ship may have a limited time in battle before the dps starts to drop (based on ammo-production rather than weapon dps)
    Thus ships rather try to use the correct projectile type rather than just spamming 100000000000 dps at the target until it dies.​

I like it.
    As long as it is configurable and only costs energy when you want it to only cost energy.
    As long as you can use it to create fire patterns (made a suggestion about mixing "fire patterns" and "ammo factories" before)
    As long as it interacts with logic for more interesting effects.