AMC Data

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    So I ve stumbled across some posts about the efficiency of Anti Matter Cannons and have come to clear it all up with some hard data.

As you can see one block cannons may nott be the way to go I believe some of the most efficient designs will come from the 450-850 block range since most the data averages out at this point and so the will have good allround stats and high energy efficiency and larger cannons means less lag than many smaller cannons.Also this is dependent on the pilot if he/she is a bad shot theyll go for a larger cannon with more speedy projectiles.

Post a reply for any of your opinions

DIsclaimer Im only 13 so make what you will with your stereotypes just dont be stupid about it.

Heres a link to the graph

Reaction score
    Tests were done here too:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Starmade/comments/1heb1m/so_i_did_some_theory_crafting_with_the_antimatter/

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The tricky thing about larger AMC arrays is that altering the % will have a significant effect on the DPS/Blocks value depending on how you have them in use. Especially seeing that range over 2500/2600 matters very little as the pilot cannot see farther than that, at times they cannot see a vessel on radar over 2200 before entering the correct nearby sector. There is also the affect of Reload effectively dropping the slower to 50 it becomes compared to damage per shot, also how relative speed is to over all DPS engagement ranges.

Very nice work on making the numbers and the data clear though, I did similar for myself. (This is partly why I don\'t know a fair way to caculate DPS/Block with such varying Distance/Speed numbers between each grouping even with 0% allocated to them)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I find that keeping all stats at 25% is good enough for me which I based my data off.But the ones looking to min/max there specific stats and play style may have trouble coming up with conclusive data since eveytime you play your slightly different then before.This is also purely statistical so inaccuracy or weapon placemeant isnt factored in.

Reaction score
    What is so special about 180? It will have DPS similar to 150/200 and the rest of the stats right between as well...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    There\'s a local maximum for DPS per block at 180 blocks: It\'s the most efficient amount above 20 (and can be divided into 5x6x6 blocks, or 10x6x3, or 20x3x3, all of which are easy to place).

Reaction score
    Is it possible to increase the DPS for certain block count values by trading rate of fire for damage or vice versa ? This could be significant when you consider the energy efficiency of larger groups.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Larger AMC cannons are more energievore ! 10*cannons size per shot. Meaning it will cost a lot at this size :/(cause it shot faster).

I made a topic about various data, and i found 1 is better : http://star-made.org/content/some-figures-storage-amc-salvage-and-thruster

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Of course you found 1 is better. But you ignored the effect that huge numbers of guns firing simultaneously have on server performance. Namely, they slow it to the speed of flowing molasses. If you\'re using more than a few fighters or turrets, you have to use something else. It could be something less than 21, but if you\'re making a large capital ship you may still need huge numbers of guns even with substantial amounts of AMCs per gun. So just 20 won\'t do for most capital ships. 180, or anything else in the neighborhood, seems to be okay until you get to the really big ships with absurd numbers of AMCs. (Notice that 555 180-block guns gives you 1.459 million DPS. If you wanted 10 or 100 times that DPS, you might need to use guns with more blocks in them to reduce the number of guns that are firing simultaneously. Probably depends on your server - and how many ships are firing such large gun arrays at once, obviously.)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Lowering the Range and the Speed of the arrays and giving the points to Damage and Rate will increase the DPS/Block dramatically. I will show you with the worst cannon shown, 500 in a single array.

Normally it is:
    Dmg: 565.7, Dist: 1184.4, RoF: 83.5, Spd: 71.6
    DPS/Block: ~13.55

At 55/5/35/5 it is:
    Dmg: 839, Dist: 690, RoF: 075, Spd: 40.3
    DPS/Block: ~22.29

Altering the stats once the array is a good way to drastically improve performance. This is something most people seem do dislike doing though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    1x1x1 is best for a 1x1x1 area., this is not true over all. For a 1x1x1 array to work, it must not touch another, in the end taking up alot more room people give it credit for. In a row 1x11x1 there must be a block in between them, which only allows six, rather than elevan, while this could hold four 1x2x1 arrays, which while less efficent per block it is not most efficent per area.

Reaction score
    One thing that\'s super important - projectile speed. Especially on 100km/h+ servers. Effective DPS is way more important than Theoretical. I noticed when I was fighting smaller ships in my ship with 40 AMCs that I couldn\'t hit them because my lasers wouldn\'t converge on a point that I wanted them to, since they were too slow to hit. Just food for thought.

Reaction score
    1x1x1 is best for a 1x1x1 area., this is not true over all. For a 1x1x1 array to work, it must not touch another, in the end taking up alot more room people give it credit for. In a row 1x11x1 there must be a block in between them, which only allows six, rather than elevan, while this could hold four 1x2x1 arrays, which while less efficent per block it is not most efficent per area.

6x 1x1x1 (6 total blocks) = 232.68 DPS, 91.97 Power per sec

4x 1x2x1 (8 total blocks) = 228.13 DPS, 127.45 Power per sec

So not only are you using more blocks, you are using more power, and less DPS.

You could throw some shields between each of those AMCs and thus have more shield, less power, and higher DPS.

Kind of a bad example ;)

Reaction score
    Since you are completely gutting the distance and speed, why not just use a lower block amount?

Not to mention doing 839 damage per shot is way overkill for taking out hulls, since the shots don\'t pierce if they do more damage than health.

Instead, for 500 blocks you could have:

5 sets of 100 blocks at 253.00 damage per shot, distance also 690, 175 reload, 40.30 speed as well

DPS/Block is only 14.42, but x5 (Arrays) = 72.1

Also your Power per second is at an insane amount, 66,666.67 per second, vs only 28,490.03 for all 5 100 Arrays combined

Food for thought :)

Reaction score
    The interesting part about the chart is that it shows that for SMALL anti-fighter guns, no more than 5 antimatter blocks in a cluster are required to completely destroy a single structural block.

so, in order to maximize shielding, destroy a nice cluster of blocks, still maintain a decent turn speed and have relatively decent armoring, shielding, and power, and compensate for AI \'near miss\' mechanics, it would seem that a small turret should have a minimum of 4 small 5 block \'blasters\' arranged in a square (although 3 arranged in a line seemed almost as good and 6 in a double line also worked well, although it reduced potential armor power and shielding for a standard turret block) seems almost a ideal for a small turret emplacement in a standard overlapping turret zone configuration.

Adding to this is the 180 block \'heavy\' turrets, for efficiently dealing with shields. The shots are much faster and farther range, and i found placing 2 heavy guns in a single turret optimized energy requirements as well as making a quit decent protective structure with good accuracy, decent armor, good shields, and somewhat substandard energy (oversizing turrets to produce longer energy block chains appears counterintuitive)

It looks like we may have some sort of standardization of turret classifications in the offing. large 2 barrel turrets for shield destruction, small 4 barrel turrets for fighter destruction. If more fighters start packing armor, it MIGHT be worthwhile to build 28 block \'medium\' turrets to ensure armor obliteration with each hit, 4 clusters of which (along with protective and energy systems) could still fit into a standard turret block.

Missile system efficiency seems to be a bit more nebulous, although I have discovered that single-barrel missile arrays using dumbfire missiles actually seem to be more effective at dispatching capital ships than guided or heat seeking arrays... missiles of all types against fighters seem to be almost universally ineffective. Thus, the prior \'heavy turrets\' could be easily converted into 360 block dumbfire arrays that fire quickly (for a missile) for dispatching capitals.

So, in essence, a reasonable distribution would seem to be (per unit) 2x heavy turret, 1x heavy missile turret, 4x medium turrets, and 6x light turrets (ratio) for maintaining decent combined-arms protection against incoming ships.

In the spirit of this ratio, I have designed all of the above turrets (trying to maximize armor for heavy fire areas while maintaining other factors) for my light (60 block long) drone carrier with the following:

4 heavy turrets

2 missile turrets

8 medium turrets

12 light turrets

Even without deploying the drones (Which seem to be far less powerful than their turret equivalents), I was able to destroy several pirate-piloted ships of mass far superior to my own found here in the ship blueprint section (even \'very efficient ships\' with little wasted space that were upwards of 16x my blocks and often more than four times my cost) as well as several fleets of various sorts of pirate-piloted fightercraft (from drone miniorbs to 20 block long fighters) sometimes at the same time while dealing with a pirate space station....

On the whole, despite the AI\'s shortcomings, I am pleased with the use of the chart\'s efficiency notations. Thanks :)

Is there a chart like that for missiles?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Not to mention doing 839 damage per shot is way overkill for taking out hulls, since the shots don\'t pierce if they do more damage than health.

Not all weapons are to be about block damage, this would be a shield breaker cannon.

DPS/Block is only 14.42, but x5 (Arrays) = 72.1

No, that is still 14.42. It does not compress it into a fifth of the block count. It is still the same damage average per block for each array. So you are comparing 14.42 DPS/Block to 22.29 DPS/Block

Also your power per second is at an insane amount, 66,666.67 per second, vs only 28,490.03 for all 5 100 Arrays combined

You have not adjusted the DPS to be the same as what the altered array I offered so the fact that they are different energy costs is moot.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Kind of a bad example ;)

Did you forget to lower the twin arrays\'s speed and distance to that of the 1x1x1 array\'s or do you only use preset values?

Reaction score
    You never said you changed the values.

Anyway since you won\'t provide the numbers I will:

72.38 DPS using overrides for 2x1 blocks set to same damage / range as standard 1x1 @ 38.78 dps

Now if we put both to 100% damage:

74.47 DPS for 1x1

105.37 DPS for 2x1

So if we have 6x 1x1 and 4x 2x1 we have:

232.68 dps for 1x1 total of 6 blocks, 91.97 power/sec

289.52 dps for 2x1 total of 8 blocks, 132.2 power/sec

446.82 dps for 1x1 100% damage, total of 6 blocks

421.49 dps for 2x1 100% damage, total of 8 blocks

Also your constraints on the block configuration is the worst case for 1x1 configurations since you can only place them 1/2 of the time, while 2x1 is 2/3 of the time. If instead you change it to a 2x11 area you would have:

XOXOXOXOXOX
    OXOXOXOXOXO

Total of 11 1x1 = 11 blocks

XOXOXOXOXOX
    XOXOXOXOXOX

Total of 6 2x1 = 12 blocks

Now base 1x1 dps goes upto 426.58, power @ 168.61 pps

Base 2x1 dps goes upto 342.20 overide with 1x1 range / speed to 434.31, power @ 198.3 pps

Using the overrides on the 1x1 block to up their dps for loss of speed / range will pump them like before to be higher DPS than the 2x1 could

Reaction score
    Haha math @ 3am is bad :)

Anyway, using 250 blocks instead:

55187.64 ppsec for 11,169.98 which is much less power, and slightly higher damage.