Read by Schine Ambient Block - Logic Activated

Reaction score
    Let's get something similar to the note block in minecraft only different. Rather than just being able to add annoying alarms we're able to put sound into our environments ourself.

We hear the ambient sound from the core on repeat, why not use the same scripts to give life to our creations.

Suggestion:

Ambient sounds on repeat until shut down via logic.

Examples:
    -birds chirping on planets
    -escaping oxygen when airlocks open
    -alarms going off
    -factory motors going
    -water flowing
    -Crowds talking
    -etc.

Solutions:

Make the sound block have a sound range of 5sq blocks so that the sounds can be isolated in rooms

1: One block with multiple sound choices in a list, much like factories

2: Multiple sound blocks with different sounds that would have their own block.

Disclaimer: Sorry if this has been suggested but I found was a guy wanting a musical sound block like minecraft

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I kinda miss note blocks from another game....

Reaction score
    Totally agree with this idea. Customizable ambient sound would be great. The only issue would be that we could only choose from sounds already in the game. As of right now we have very little to choose from in terms of sound. I feel a feature like this would get worked on post sound upgrade.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would definitely like this.
    At the very least they just add a list of sounds that are in the game right now.
    But let's not hope for that, anyone else who has some good sound suggestions that should be in there?
    mine:
    electricity sound, like this video
    The sound of an iron door making that annoying sound
    beeping noice of a submarine scanner
    foot steps, put in corridors and it looks like you are actually walking

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Totally agree with this idea. Customizable ambient sound would be great. The only issue would be that we could only choose from sounds already in the game. As of right now we have very little to choose from in terms of sound. I feel a feature like this would get worked on post sound upgrade.
    That's fine, so long as the list of sounds available is varied enough :)

I'd like to give my computer, communications, engine rooms etc appropriate ambient sound effects, even if they're just default ones. Perhaps, when the Duty Station system gets introduced, you'll be able to designate an ambient sound which is appropriate for that Station? e.g. a designated Communications Duty Station automatically generates a looped sound something like:

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Mixed with quarters this would be pretty awesome.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Mixed with quarters this would be pretty awesome.
    Agreed, also this gives me an idea. If we are going to be able to define quarters on a ship/station/planet why not also have a list of ambient sounds that you can choose to always play in that quarter under certain circumstances (such as when crew are at work, during mutiny(alarms, anyone?), when one person is walking, when more than three people are walking, etc)?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Shouldn't ambient noise be generated naturally from their source? Why would we simulate birds or nature on a planet when we could have an animal generate that noise. Have environments generate ambiance. Note blocks are nice, but it becomes an issue when the noise is tied to a block and not just the source itself. Note blocks or noise blocks should serve a more intended purpose if they are to be a thing.

Nonetheless, we have someone working on sound and we hope to have a very dynamic system in the end to immerse yourselves in your creations and the universe.

Reaction score
    Shouldn't ambient noise be generated naturally from their source? Why would we simulate birds or nature on a planet when we could have an animal generate that noise. Have environments generate ambiance. Note blocks are nice, but it becomes an issue when the noise is tied to a block and not just the source itself. Note blocks or noise blocks should serve a more intended purpose if they are to be a thing.

Nonetheless, we have someone working on sound and we hope to have a very dynamic system in the end to immerse yourselves in your creations and the universe.
    ya, its better that its natural

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4

I think the primary concern with "generated" ambience is shipboard sound.

Some builders might want silence, while others want computers to sound a certain way while still others want their computers to sound a different way. Think: The difference between the NCC-1701 Enterprise bridge and the NCC-1701-D Enterprise bridge. Who knew one little letter could make such a difference?

Also, on a practical point of view, ship-board biospheres might not have enough room for real animals to make real noises, so a noise generator may be implemented by a builder to simulate a more natural environment to improve the morale-building effect.

Conceptually, while natural noise sources (a bird, a moose, a laser spider, etc.) would carry the noise source with them as they move, a noise block would work the same way, keeping the noise source with it as it moves on an entity. So it would simply be a combination of a new decorative block with that sound source. By implementing a noise selection GUI, you create a very dynamic block that uses logic that is going to be used elsewhere in the game anyway, so it's almost a free win.

Reactions: Blodge
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen

I agree with this sentiment much more, if we create a bridge with computers the ambient noise should come from the fact that those computers are making noise (or rather, that area has enough computers to make noise).

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I think the primary concern with "generated" ambience is shipboard sound.

Some builders might want silence, while others want computers to sound a certain way while still others want their computers to sound a different way. Think: The difference between the NCC-1701 Enterprise bridge and the NCC-1701-D Enterprise bridge. Who knew one little letter could make such a difference?

Also, on a practical point of view, ship-board biospheres might not have enough room for real animals to make real noises, so a noise generator may be implemented by a builder to simulate a more natural environment to improve the morale-building effect.

Conceptually, while natural noise sources (a bird, a moose, a laser spider, etc.) would carry the noise source with them as they move, a noise block would work the same way, keeping the noise source with it as it moves on an entity. So it would simply be a combination of a new decorative block with that sound source. By implementing a noise selection GUI, you create a very dynamic block that uses logic that is going to be used elsewhere in the game anyway, so it's almost a free win.
    It's a good idea. We will be getting regular ambient noise in before we take a look at what is necessary for any sort of noise block.

Reactions: kiraen

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    It's a good idea. We will be getting regular ambient noise in before we take a look at what is necessary for any sort of noise block.
    I would like to advocate for a wide range of user settings in the menu to control various sound levels. Ear fatigue and repetitive sounds can ruin a gaming experience. I LOVE the music in MC ...but I don't want it on all the time. When I am farming I need to attenuate the chickens.:mad:

Localized sound sources help greatly with immersion...much better than a generic area-sound. This makes sounds-blocks a good idea. Binaural stereo recording can convey a convincing 3 dimensional space (that is why they are modeled on the human-head). Good ambient sound can be truly epic. System Shock 2 is an example of a rich sonic environment that out-shone the limited graphics of the day. Good fidelity and a solid sound stage can create a convincing sense of being in a dynamic aural landscape even with the eyes closed.

There are good reasons to focus on the visual first before tackling sound but I feel that the sound can impact the final experience greatly even though far fewer resources are usually afforded it.

Reactions: Criss