Amazing Game, Have some Suggestions =)

Reaction score
    First off, I want to give voice sincere appreciation and thanks to the Dev's and the Starmade community as a whole. This game has captured my interest, challenged me both creatively and logically, and forced me to learn at least one new concept every time I play. For me, this is the first game since EVE online that has changed my perception of what a "game" can be, and I am proud to be a supporter for its developement.

With the pleasentries out of the way, I wanted to throw some ideas I have had into the hat for consideration. I realize some of these may have already been voiced, or might have side effects I have yet to consider, so please bare with me...

• The ability to build and join modular peices of a ship.
    This suggestion spawned from an idea I had to manufacture intricate "rooms" that I could then market to players who wanted a custom engine room, bridge, etc. I ran a test to see if power capacitor recharge, thrust and so on would combine to the "pilot" ship, and found that they did not. I realize there are ways around this by building around joined rooms, but it would be nice to have a product that was more than just asthetic to join up with other rooms custom made parts. For example, I would like to be able to sell an "reactor room" that not only had really cool spinning parts and logic, but also provided some actual power production to the ship it was connected to.
    • A better external ship camera and targeting system.
    I dont by any means want starmade to turn into an EVE clone, but having the option to manually lock targets in a third person perspective would really help combat (especially in large ships) feel more authentic and less cumbersome.
    • A further update to the chat interface.
    Communicating with fellow players is something I have found to be a challenge with the current chat system. Having small things like notification sounds, larger font, and the ability to change the chat channel you are in all in the same window would make the social end of starmade much more pleasent.
    • A segmented tutorial covering basic to advanced topics.
    As much as the current tutorial helped me get started in this very complex game, I felt very lost on more than a few occasions. Youtube and other online resources did help me up the steep learning curve, but I can see how other less dedicated players might get frustrated and spread word that starmade is inaccesable without in depth research outside of the game. A great example of why this is important can be found by looking at EVE's tutorial system. When I started playing EVE in 2006, it had a short tutorial and then threw you into the universe, but as time went on and CCP wanted to expand its player base, they chose to impliment and improve on their tutorials, letting players choose what they wanted to learn before being walked slowly through the process.

I will leave it at that for now. Thank you for reading the wall of text, and again thank you for creating such an inspiring and deep game.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    EVE online
    If you liked that game, I suggest you take a look at my signature link :P

The ability to build and join modular peices of a ship.
    You can currently save templates by copying then saving in the advanced build controls. One particular builder on the forums is known for building parts of their ships entirely out of modular bits. Being able to sell a template would be nice however.

A better external ship camera and targeting system.
    I have to agree here. Targeting in general is something that could be improved.

A further update to the chat interface.
    Being able to condense the chat channels into one window with tabs would be perfect.

A segmented tutorial covering basic to advanced topics.
    The entire starting experience and tutorial are being looked at atm. While nothing is set in stone, having an effective, yet optional tutorial system would be preferred over the obscure and drawn out system that is currently in place.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Criss you ninjad me! :p

You can make templates and then either sell the template file.

Reaction score
    I think that modular builds being more viable would be interesting, though i though power did transfer. I think it would be interesting to move items and power across docked entities would be the only step even required

Reaction score
    Being able to mix and match internal systems and build a pretty design around it would make it so industrial designers could focus on a product line and perfect it. Having players that are master craftsman in specific areas would (in my opinion) create a foundation for a diverse and stable market system.

Vanhelzing: Your EVE ship designs brought into the Starmade universe is one of the things that inspired me to push myselfup the learning curve. I will be posting my first "complete" ship here in a bit with pictures. Its not from EVE, but its the second entity I can for the most part consider "done" after over 100 hours of playing.

Thadius: Would you be able sell a template within the native systems of Starmade, or would it require a file to be transfered out of game? Regardless of either, nothing would stop the person obtaining the template to give it out to everyone and their mom for free lol.

Thank you all for the replies by the way.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I assume the much anticipated Shipyard system will include an in game way however the only way to share templates is via the community content section in the dock.

Reaction score
    Just thought of another great addition to starmade.

The ability to re-color your ship blocks to the other color variants of that block type. Is this something that has been brought up before?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Changing color in the game is tedious at times, but if you have a wide paste/remove field, it would only take a bit to replace the blocks on the ship. Overall, this is really pointless for many given that we stick to our color schemes pretty tightly because it works well with the original design, so my suggestion if you so wish to have different color schemes is to go offline and change it in god mode.

On the other topics, I agree with a third person camera, because for large ships, turning is weird and cumbersome and is usually hard because of camera angle (but that is just because of design). Chat Interface is one of the things lined out to be improved in the roadmap, so this is covered. A new tutorial would be appreciated, because I had to explain to a friend how to make logic and rails work, which turned out as you would expect (horrible).

Nice suggestions and hope you enjoy the game. :p

Reactions: rcsteiner9