Am I the only one who likes small ships?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Okay, I'll be honest. I'm not very good at building large ships, I'm pretty good at building drop ships, medium cargo ships, that sort of thing. So naturally I have learnt to love the small ship, however every single ship I find is this massive, unkillable space beast. Which is fine, they have their place. They look great, and they are extremely functional. But how cool would a world on a server be with a monumental amount of amazing looking ships, collossal destroyers that move slowly but can wipe ouit planets, fighters, and dropships, lightly armoured and gunned, able to get in and out with a team.

Sure, I know that big ships take longer to turn in game, but once a destroyer is facing your dropship, or shuttle, or fighter there is no escape. You die, you have no chance of survival. Not saying one fighter should be able to destroy these dreadnoughts, but perhaps a team of say, five or six would be good? I dunno. It just seems like everyone is really obseessed with collosal, powerful ships. And frankly I reckon thats pretty boring.

From Me

Reaction score
    small fighters can kill bigger ships its just a question of finding a blind spot from the turrets and just working down the shields. preferably you would like to find a nook in the ship hull where you can \"ride\" the ship while lowering its shields

Reaction score
    I put turrets on my bombers...

And I am an expert fighter pilot. I am able easily dodge and escape a dreadnaught.

Reaction score
    I totally agree with you.

But we all know why everyone plays with those huge ships...because you don\'t have any disadvantages to smaller ships...not even speed problems. BUT we all know that star made is still a w.i.p-title and I\'m sure this will be different in the final game. Anyways there\'s still other important stuff to do until this moment.

Reaction score
    Get a jammer and cloak and you\'r good to go.

The big ships will have to hit you by plain luck, which is extremely hard.

Turrets don\'t have time to lock and fire if you do quick maneuvers.

-

I really think jam/cloak should be made a bit more available for smaller ships, and hulls drain less with the ham/cloak. That would make smaller ships alot more vital in a fight due to their survivability/hit&run.

There should be a wide area pulse weapon, perhaps named \"Disruption\", which shuts down cloaking within 1000 meters from the ship that uses it. And it should require lots and lots of energy - so that one doesn\'t make 20 smaller ships with one on each. These \"Disruption\" weapons should only be possible for the huge ships..

One way to do the \"Disruption\" available for only the bigger sized ships would be to make them require \"200 000 000 e\" to fire one time. Thus, the bigger ships with 1 000 000 e/sec would be able to fire one \"Disruption\" shot per 200 sec.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I am absolutely insane when I pilot anything in 3dimensions (in a Science museum in London, I had my girlfriend at the time be absolutely terrified and nauseated to the point of refusing to have another go after we were in a very old version Microsoft Flight simulator hooked up to a spinny thing you sit inside whilst flying, due to the sheer awesome of my flying), which cannot be really done with bigger ships, simply because of the inertia and issues with momentum.

Generally for personal use, I build small fighter-style ships. Dogfights are fun. Heck, I don\'t actually mind that people build giant ships with lots of firepower because of that, so long as they\'re correspondingly slow. My flight style, assuming no lag, is so crazy and chaotic when I\'m focused, that they haven\'t got a chance unless they\'ve got very fast homing missiles on my tail.

fun thing: most large ships won\'t actually follow you onto a planet surface. I don\'t know why. Usually they have enough thrust to get off it, but enter a planet then pop out the other side, and most pursuers give up. No idea why.

Reaction score
    when flying a big ships you constantly have to keep inmind that you can cause insane server lag when colliding with static objects.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    That would be because alot of large ships will crash a server, and their frames, while the server is trying to calculate the gravity and box-on-box collisions. Although, generally when I am chasing someone down in that fashion, I use the pulse weapons to disable them and then riddle their hull with holes from my amc\'s

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    That would be because alot of large ships will crash a server, and their frames, while the server is trying to calculate the gravity and box-on-box collisions. Although, generally when I am chasing someone down in that fashion, I use the pulse weapons to disable them and then riddle their hull with holes from my amc\'s

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you find yourself on a server with \"limited\" resources (i.e, not everyone is a billionare who can buy battleships on a whim), I think the smaller ships would be far more useful.

Since I mainly play single player, I find most of my \"huge\" ships might barely classify as a light cruiser on some servers! It\'s all a matter of what works - if people have the means to build supercap ships and they are survivable and viable in combat, then they will do so. If they cost way too much and can\'s afford to loose them, then you\'ll see a lot of fighter/frigate fights.

I personally think the economy is WAAAAAYY OP. If you happen across ONE abandoned station you\'re pretty much set. As soon as you cross the threshhold of being able to kill a rat, you\'re even MORE set. However, I understand that thi game is in Alpha and Things Will Change. I like that we are getting a peek at the possibilities of the game with folks building epic ships (look at YOU HeldTech et. al). Later when these ships are far more costly, imagine the triumph/ sorrow of loosing or killing one of these beasts when you know that it\'s far to expensive to just go and buy another one.

Reaction score
    If someone fires some SD-BB missiles at you, and you immediately jam (even if the jam lasts maybe 2 seconds), do the missiles re-engage or just loose the signal completely when you turn the jam off again?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I love making small ships, large ships take forever to plan and construct but a small ship you can come up with an idea and have it built within no time. I usually have one large project I work on and then I take breaks and make a bunch of little ships when I get bored.