Alternative Results from Power-stream damage

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    From my understanding, a hit to the stabalizor stream results in full power loss for a period of time.

This however makes the system extremly binary, and without anyway to properly armour our ships (Armour is of little use) the first player to hit their opponents stream a few times shuts down all their weapons, engines and leaves them helpless to more shots on their stream.

I would like to suggest that hitting a stream has a different effect rather than total power loss. For example:
    • Damage applied to conected Stab/Reactor Groups (e.g applied as an explosion)
    • Reduction in energy out put for a period of time (related to shot damage)
    • System malfunctions/damage

Or personaly my favourite:
    • Creates an explosion at the point of impact on the stream
    • Creates "Shrapenal" like rounds that are fired from the point of impact at random angles.

Just some ideas!
    Since power streams are here to stay, I would love to see them become less binary and more enjoyable to play around or shoot!

Reaction score
    Not sure I like the idea of having the power stream get hit and then there is an explosion that could, in all seriousness, completely blow your power system to kingdom come. Granted, it would take multiple shots in order to achieve this, but it would be a much worse penalty than simple power loss (unless you are referring to the explosions being simply cosmetic, and physical numeric damage is simply applied to the blocks, then it's not too bad).

However, before they start changing how the power stream works, they may want to try and get shields working properly again. Not sure if anyone else has noticed it yet, or if it is something only I am experiencing, but it appears that shields are not giving 100% damage protection like they use it. My ships I am building in single player (from a non-creative mode, survival player perspective), are having hull blocks and other systems (power stream included) taking damage from enemy fire while the shields are still up, and at good percentages (talking about 80%). It's quite frustrating to be in a firefight with a pirate ship (it's actually a VERY simple ship I made when i first started. Simple cannon weapons, no specials attached to it), having my shields be at 95%, and I start seeing messages saying my power stream was hit and chunks of hull are getting blown off.

If this is the new, intended, function of shields now, then without chambers, they are basically as useless as armor is now.

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    If this is the new, intended, function of shields now, then without chambers, they are basically as useless as armor is now.
    Are the blocks getting hit inside the shield bubbles:? Also if shield bubbles overlap too heavily the smaller one is disabled. Shields now cover a spherical area, if a blocks outside it, not shielded.

If your shield bubbles are working just fine it certiantly sounds like a bug of some sorts o_O be worthwile posting in support

Reactions: Ryuusei

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I don't mind the power failure, it allows boarding.
    The thing I would like to see is auxiliary power banks.
    If this can't be done, the have the reactors in docked entities come online and provide power like auxiliary power.

Reaction score
    Are the blocks getting hit inside the shield bubbles:? Also if shield bubbles overlap too heavily the smaller one is disabled. Shields now cover a spherical area, if a blocks outside it, not shielded.

If your shield bubbles are working just fine it certiantly sounds like a bug of some sorts o_O be worthwile posting in support
    It's a relatively small mining ship. The shield bubble is covering the entire ship and then some. It only has one shield bubble, as there is absolutely no need to have anything larger (even just one shield capacitor block will cover the whole ship).

I'll have to jump in and start doing some more tests on it, see if it's a bug or if there is some new, inherent penetrative effect on cannons that we were not told about.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It's a relatively small mining ship. The shield bubble is covering the entire ship and then some. It only has one shield bubble, as there is absolutely no need to have anything larger (even just one shield capacitor block will cover the whole ship).

I'll have to jump in and start doing some more tests on it, see if it's a bug or if there is some new, inherent penetrative effect on cannons that we were not told about.
    afaik,shield are supposed to block all the damage they are getting,but if you forgott about their integrity those thing go ninja vanquish,exploding upon being hit,even if they are at 100%. the shield blocks themselves start to explode i mean.
    and also make sure you dont have bit of your power stream exposed to fire,since its not a block and is not protected by ANYTHING,including shields. this may as well be caused by... explosives? like somehow laggy missile or just a cannon shot went through a couple blocks and exploded in proximity of the stream,dealing damage.

its either a flaw of design(integrity),either a bug... or well,(most likely) something hitting steam due to lags (increased chance of that at high ship movement speeds). (also im aware this is bit offtopic,but huh)

Reactions: Lone_Puppy

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    I don't mind the power failure, it allows boarding.
    The thing I would like to see is auxiliary power banks.
    If this can't be done, the have the reactors in docked entities come online and provide power like auxiliary power.
    That can also allow what's explained at Modular Shipbuilding although backup capacitors/rechargeable batteries would be nice.

afaik,shield are supposed to block all the damage they are getting,but if you forgott about their integrity those thing go ninja vanquish,exploding upon being hit,even if they are at 100%. the shield blocks themselves start to explode i mean.
    and also make sure you dont have bit of your power stream exposed to fire,since its not a block and is not protected by ANYTHING,including shields. this may as well be caused by... explosives? like somehow laggy missile or just a cannon shot went through a couple blocks and exploded in proximity of the stream,dealing damage.

its either a flaw of design(integrity),either a bug... or well,(most likely) something hitting steam due to lags (increased chance of that at high ship movement speeds). (also im aware this is bit offtopic,but huh)
    According to that info it sounds like the stab streams aren't shielded like blocks. Someone should report the bug if it hasn't been.

For the stream damage thing I think the stabilizer groups should receive damage equal to the damage dealt to the stream but the damage is reduced/dispersed by the amount of stabilizers in the group taking damage. While the stabs are being damaged the reactor outputs a bit less power (half the total damage dealt to a stabilizer group during that frame?).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    From my understanding, a hit to the stabalizor stream results in full power loss for a period of time.

This however makes the system extremly binary, and without anyway to properly armour our ships (Armour is of little use) the first player to hit their opponents stream a few times shuts down all their weapons, engines and leaves them helpless to more shots on their stream.
    Yeah ! Thats WAR !!

More seriously armor is going to get reworked along with weapons...

Reaction score
    Or personally my favourite:
    • Creates "Shrapnel" like rounds that are fired from the point of impact at random angles.
    This eliminates one of the principle reasons for stab lines which it to prevent island ships. This suggestion sounds like more of a design philosophy issue than a development one. If you only have one stab line, then you are leaving yourself very vulnerable, but multidimensional stabilizers means that you can make an optimized ship with multiple stab lines so that even if someone waffles one or two, you are only looking at a penalty that likely does not drop your stability enough to hurt your regen.

That said, the binary "on-off" state seems inherently broken. I think a better solution would for damage to build in your reactor as a sort of EMP effect so that a large alpha weapon that hits a stab can cause a fair amount of drain compared to DoT weapons. My thought is to give the reactor a hidden charge priority that always comes in first, and add a factor of damage to a capacity that needs to be filled. For example, If a 1-million damage alpha weapon hits your stab-line, then your ship gets a temporary 200k EMP priority that will get filled ahead of other systems.

Reaction score
    It is just as likely a purposeful feature. Exposed stab lines are supposed to be major weak points... it's kinda why they were put there, to eliminate island ships

Maramonster

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    My problem with the power interruption, is that it doesn't matter if I hit it with a pistol, or the largest weapon in my fleet, I'm still doing exactly the same thing.

Yes, the stream is there to prevent island ships. I get that, and on huge mega ships, managing the streams isn't so bad. When it's a smaller ship, especially with armor as it is, the fight's over when someone hits it. There's no counter-play.

Reaction score
    "doesn't matter if I hit it with a pistol, or the largest weapon in my fleet, I'm still doing exactly the same thing."

'agree'

Maramonster

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    "doesn't matter if I hit it with a pistol, or the largest weapon in my fleet, I'm still doing exactly the same thing."

'agree'
    agree to what? The fact that a pistol and a large weapon should do the same thing? That it's bad?

Reaction score
    Lol, why would they add a feature to force continuous ship building only to let you guard it with a shield bubble? I thought I read that the idea WAS to make it so that an astro could board a ship with a handgun and cripple you if he get to the power stream, and to strongly punish island ships. Personally, I don't like the stream being there, but if they are gonna make that a mechanic, it should at least be something you need to put some thought into.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The stream can be redirected and encourages the builder to design with this being protected. Having an exposed stream makes no sense anyway, so I think it's a good thing.

Also, the instability when hit by ship or handheld weapons adds for vastly more varied tactical strategy in taking down a ship.
    The missing component for me is auxiliary power, to give you a chance to keep defenses up and make repairs, or you're a pussy escape. Personally, if my ship is a lost cause I would simply set to ramming speed, fire all weapons and detonate my ship on impact with the enemy if all I had was backup power. ;)

Reactions: Skwidz

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2

I would like to suggest that hitting a stream has a different effect rather than total power loss. For example:
    • Damage applied to conected Stab/Reactor Groups (e.g applied as an explosion)
    • Reduction in energy out put for a period of time (related to shot damage)
    • System malfunctions/damage

Or personaly my favourite:
    • Creates "Shrapenal" like rounds that are fired from the point of impact at random angles.

Just some ideas!
    Since power streams are here to stay, I would love to see them become less binary and more enjoyable to play around or shoot!
    I found that relogging fixes it, or since the stream was never actually hit, maybe reloging just fixed the glitch.

Reaction score
    Personally, if my ship is a lost cause I would simply set to ramming speed, fire all weapons and detonate my ship on impact with the enemy if all I had was backup power. ;)
    Not sure if you've ever seen games like Space Engineers that allowing ramming damage by default, but it's kind of cancerous. Pretty much every fight in that game ends in a ramming maneuver (last I checked) resulting in both ships being damaged beyond repair. PvP is not viable in a system where battle is loose-loose, especial in games were replacing those losses can lead to 10+ hours of boring mining and processing.