• Yea i could roll with that.

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Indifferent.

• Bro, you crazy.

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    We of course have heptas, wedges and slabs. But we have no blocks to combine the two. Like partial wedges that angel down in to the different height slab blocks for more fluidity of design.

We of course wedge and slab to make our stuff much smoother but you cant really use both next to each other without it looking a bit..off.

Reactions: NeonSturm

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I can see why it would be good.
    But at one point I say it's not an issue of shapes anymore, but how they are rendered when next to each other.

Yes, we need a new block, but no we shouldn't get it but get a better rendering instead making it all more smooth between almost-matching shapes.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    I would rather see more variations on the blocks that don't have all of the various shapes. Motherboard, crystals and the like.

Delving into more and more obscure shapes is probably not what the game needs.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    I would rather see more variations on the blocks that don't have all of the various shapes. Motherboard, crystals and the like.

Delving into more and more obscure shapes is probably not what the game needs.
    I wish ice had all the shapes ;-; ive wanted to make an ice ship for awhile.... ;-;

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    When are we going to stop wasting development on more aesthetics crap, and start focusing on getting starmade playable?

It's a voxel game, you'll never be able to do freeform modelling in it, stop trying.

Reaction score
    I can see why it would be good.
    But at one point I say it's not an issue of shapes anymore, but how they are rendered when next to each other.

Yes, we need a new block, but no we shouldn't get it but get a better rendering instead making it all more smooth between almost-matching shapes.
    This. I've always raged about when I have a 1/4 slab plane runs into a wedge line. If the wedges had a bent-up section where they collided with slabs, as stairs in minecraft, then it would look much better.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    When are we going to stop wasting development on more aesthetics crap, and start focusing on getting starmade playable?

It's a voxel game, you'll never be able to do freeform modelling in it, stop trying.
    What about SpaceEngineer Astroids? It's voxel too

The beauty of SM is that you don't have to care about whether you placed something at 1.00 or 0.95 or 1.05. Most freeform modelling programs fail to archive exactly this. Blender allows it, but only if you press the align-key while doing anything which is very annoying.

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    What about SpaceEngineer Astroids? It's voxel too

The beauty of SM is that you don't have to care about whether you placed something at 1.00 or 0.95 or 1.05. Most freeform modelling programs fail to archive exactly this. Blender allows it, but only if you press the align-key while doing anything which is very annoying.
    Point being: starmade is supposed to be a game, not a modelling tool.

For years there's been nothing but cosmetic / RP features added while everything else is in an abysmal state, fuck aesthetics and RP and make a real game first.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Point being: starmade is supposed to be a game, not a modelling tool.

For years there's been nothing but cosmetic / RP features added while everything else is in an abysmal state, fuck aesthetics and RP and make a real game first.
    Modelling can be a game too. But don't let us fight over this point - just agree that my+your opinion are not the only ones.

Regex-Logic is new and it's not aesthetic.
    Fleet-AI is not aesthetic.

Both is not purely RP either (although you can use it for RP too).
    Do you want more fighting stuff? Can you put some suggestion-links to show us examples of your opinion?​

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    Modelling can be a game too.
    No, no it isn't. Games have purpose and rules to them, modelling is a purely creative thing. Is MSPaint a game? No, of course not. There's nothing wrong with you liking modelling, but it's not a game, and the people who want a game aren't going to like a modelling tool.

Regex-Logic is new and it's not aesthetic.
    Yes it is. It contributes nothing to gameplay; it's just a dumb gimick for making ships, specifically display blocks, look better.

Fleet-AI is not aesthetic.
    It also isn't functional in it's current form.

Do you want more fighting stuff? Can you put some suggestion-links to show us examples of your opinion?
    I want starmade to stop being purely creative mode and start having a purpose to it. Real progression like building up your own faction and expanding it in a meaningful way is totally absent from the game.

The_Owl

Alpha is not an excuse
    Reaction score
    I just want better planets tbh

Anyways, back to the point of the main post, where do you stop with wedge slabs? there was a post showing how many different slab wedges there could be, and for just one direction it'd be alot of different wedges. Persenally, i wouldn't be shy to slab wedges, although for me to feel like they would be functinal the slab slider would proberly need to come back, rather than having a fuckton of blocks in the radial menu.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yes it is. It contributes nothing to gameplay; it's just a dumb gimick for making ships, specifically display blocks, look better.
    Not correct: Logic | StarMade Dock
    Maybe you forgot (we all do sometimes) or we have different definitions of "dumb gimick".
    For me it's a challenging game to find logic doing it's job with the least amount of blocks or least complexity.

That is the scale which my fav voxel game would have:
    But only if I don't get 5 FPS because of it and if it supports logic similar to StarMade's logic.​

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    The only thing I have ever thought about the join between a wedge and a slab would be a zero height one. That would be to be able to put the slabs colour onto one face of the adjacent block.

But, at the end of the day, we have what we have and apart from the change I mentioned before, I would rather have gameplay improvements.

Catering for both the RP and PvP elements is difficult but the base mechanism of the game is more important than the wrappers around.

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    Maybe you forgot (we all do sometimes) or we have different definitions of "dumb gimick".
    For me it's a challenging game to find logic doing it's job with the least amount of blocks or least complexity.
    It's not doing any job. That's why it's aesthetic. Do any of those designs contribute anything to the game?
    Does that cargo system improve your ability to carry cargo? No, a regular transporter does it just as well.
    An arcade game?
    What purpose does the crane serve?
    Logic core and display maybe qualifies for it, but they're completely unnecessary to the game, and you can get the same effect with a fraction of the work.
    It's pointless RP shit, whether you like it or not, it has fuckall to do with any kind of gameplay.

Reaction score
    If not even my suggestion gets attention or confirmation, I doubt that this even bigger request makes any sense.

Implement 22.5 degree wedges

Btw. we have LOD blocks allready. I think they are doing a great job for what anyone could wish for, and will be expanded upon for sure in the next 3 months.

Also this OP asked for microblocks (1/4 high wedges or even corners and the likes), and those wont happen for sure.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Does that cargo system improve your ability to carry cargo? No, a regular transporter does it just as well.
    It improves your ability to trade cargo or sell in exchange differently with others (block types for block types).
    It also improves delivery systems (which resources go where) when we need more than 1 station.

Apart from that, logic teaches you real-life important things.​

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm against this for a reason: Adding all these shapes would probably require an increase in available block IDs which would result in increased data size per block which (if I'm not wrong) would result in a larger ammount of traffic for servers. Yes, the dev team stated that an increase in data ammount per block to achieve a higher ammount of available block IDs could be done if needed, but I don't think this is the case of need because the drawbacks outweigh the good things. Additional design choices are nice, but not at the cost of worse performance, especially for people with weaker computers.
    Another problem this would raise is: Where do we stop? If we add a ridiculous ammount of shapes, how can we reasonably argue against the implementation of even more shapes (like a 1/2 slab which has 1/4 empty space to both sides or a 1/4 slab having 1/2 space to one and 1/4 space to the other side. and now combine these with other shapes).
    I think the current ammount of shapes gives us a lot of creative freedom, the shape I'd see the most reason for adding (although I think it's not really neccessary) would be a counter-corner, basically what a hepta is for a tetra but for a corner.

Even if the devs would want to implement this, I'd say it should take low priority, because I somewhat agree with Raisinbat that gameplay features should be of highest priority.

Logic impact on gameplay: Chaindrives