Allow players to have any degree of AI/Turret accuracy they want (config value)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Currently Starmade has a very low limit on the maximum accuracy that AI/turrets can have - 10 meters effective range accuracy. This was fine back when sectors were very small and people would have to fly up close to their enemies in order to engage them. But now, lots of people play on large-sector servers that have 10km sectors, and though the ranges of the weapons are extended, that same terrible default accuracy limit is still there.

On HyperCore, the server I play on, we have 10km sectors, and practically nobody who's smart uses cannons or beams for their main turret weaponry at all. The weapons are drastically outranged by missile weapons, which can lockon and kill people in other sectors without a problem or with accuracy being an issue.

Thus I believe that cannons and beams need to be given a boost to their effectiveness in these play conditions. Currently the config does not permit you to go above this extremely low accuracy value of 10 for AI/turrets, but I would like it if we were able to set it to any value we want. Otherwise, cannons and beams will continue to be useless and Starmade combat will forever be a battle of long-range missile warfare where you rarely even need to see the enemy to kill them.

Another thing - point defense is useless as well because of this terrible turret accuracy value. On these large-sectored servers, that usually also have high thruster speed limits, the missiles literally fly so fast that the point-defense turrets on ships cannot hope to hit them, and they are even more difficult to shoot down with ship-mounted point-defense nets (cannons for PD inside the ship itself) because oftentimes those missiles are being fired from other sectors and can't be seen as a result, so the player cannot aim to shoot them down.

Let me be clear - lock-on missiles do NOT need a nerf. They are fine, and they are working the way they are supposed to. This should rather point to that cannon and beam weapons need to get a chance to be an equally useful weapon for turrets, by having better potential accuracy. Even if you did nerf lockon missiles, it still would not solve the problem of point defense being useless on those big servers.

Some people might say "oh, it isn't a problem, I play on a server with small sectors and thus this isn't an issue". Well listen bub because I and hundreds/thousands of other Starmade players don't play on your small-sectored teapot worlds. We play on servers with huge-sized sectors, and our cannon/beam weapons are crap there. We need some help with this.

schema or Calbiri , you can keep the default accuracy value at 10 for it, do whatever with the default setting, I don't care. But it'd be much appreciated if the config setting for turret accuracy could be set to any value, because that'd greatly benefit those that play on servers with large sectors, because for us, the cannon and beam weapons you made are useless for turrets in combat.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Turret and AI accuracy settings are based on whatever difficulty setting you use in single player or set via the config by the server operator.

Easy = 10
    Medium = 30
    Hard = 100
    Mean = 1000

I myself never play on anything but hard.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Its a server option. The default setting is 99% accuracy at 10m, admins can change the distance, EE has it at ~2km I believe.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    No the maximum number you can set it to is 10. HyperCore server admin c0r3y told me this.

Reaction score
    looks like i did not fully read over this setting thinking 10 was highest

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Currently Starmade has a very low limit on the maximum accuracy that AI/turrets can have - 10 meters effective range accuracy. This was fine back when sectors were very small and people would have to fly up close to their enemies in order to engage them. But now, lots of people play on large-sector servers that have 10km sectors, and though the ranges of the weapons are extended, that same terrible default accuracy limit is still there.

On HyperCore, the server I play on, we have 10km sectors, and practically nobody who's smart uses cannons or beams for their main turret weaponry at all. The weapons are drastically outranged by missile weapons, which can lockon and kill people in other sectors without a problem or with accuracy being an issue.

Thus I believe that cannons and beams need to be given a boost to their effectiveness in these play conditions. Currently the config does not permit you to go above this extremely low accuracy value of 10 for AI/turrets, but I would like it if we were able to set it to any value we want. Otherwise, cannons and beams will continue to be useless and Starmade combat will forever be a battle of long-range missile warfare where you rarely even need to see the enemy to kill them.

Another thing - point defense is useless as well because of this terrible turret accuracy value. On these large-sectored servers, that usually also have high thruster speed limits, the missiles literally fly so fast that the point-defense turrets on ships cannot hope to hit them, and they are even more difficult to shoot down with ship-mounted point-defense nets (cannons for PD inside the ship itself) because oftentimes those missiles are being fired from other sectors and can't be seen as a result, so the player cannot aim to shoot them down.

Let me be clear - lock-on missiles do NOT need a nerf. They are fine, and they are working the way they are supposed to. This should rather point to that cannon and beam weapons need to get a chance to be an equally useful weapon for turrets, by having better potential accuracy. Even if you did nerf lockon missiles, it still would not solve the problem of point defense being useless on those big servers.

Some people might say "oh, it isn't a problem, I play on a server with small sectors and thus this isn't an issue". Well listen bub because I and hundreds/thousands of other Starmade players don't play on your small-sectored teapot worlds. We play on servers with huge-sized sectors, and our cannon/beam weapons are crap there. We need some help with this.

schema or Calbiri , you can keep the default accuracy value at 10 for it, do whatever with the default setting, I don't care. But it'd be much appreciated if the config setting for turret accuracy could be set to any value, because that'd greatly benefit those that play on servers with large sectors, because for us, the cannon and beam weapons you made are useless for turrets in combat.
    I totally agree with what you said, I have many times been killed because my PD turrets take too long to shoot down the long-range missiles.

I agree that the long-range missiles DO NOT NEED TO BE NERFED Calbiri they are fine as they are just the turret accuracy needs to be pumped up and you need to find a way so cannons/beam are used in battle again BUT NOT NERFING THE LONG-RANGE MISSILES

So to finish up, turret accuracy needs to be pumped up and... well can you guess

DON'T NERF THE LONG-RANGE MISSILES :schema:

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I totally agree with what you said, I have many times been killed because my PD turrets take too long to shoot down the long-range missiles.

I agree that the long-range missiles DO NOT NEED TO BE NERFED Calbiri they are fine as they are just the turret accuracy needs to be pumped up and you need to find a way so cannons/beam are used in battle again BUT NOT NERFING THE LONG-RANGE MISSILES

So to finish up, turret accuracy needs to be pumped up and... well can you guess

DON'T NERF THE LONG-RANGE MISSILES :schema:
    JJust change the turret accuracy to 6000 and you'll be sniped every single time.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I was just clearly stating that the accuracy can be increased just be you changing some values in the server config.

This thread has no use whatsoever. We already can change turret accuracy.