Suggestion Allow editing of posts for certain time after creation only

Reaction score
    Currently, posts can be edited forever.

Could this be changed to allow editing only for the first 1 hour, or 24 hours, or 48 hours, after creation?

I've just seen a suggestion OP changed after 2 weeks and 20+ likes.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    That would be bad for shipyard threads and tutorials, those couldn't be updated anymore.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7

Could this be changed to allow editing only for the first 1 hour, or 24 hours, or 48 hours, after creation?

Only for suggestion then.

Reaction score
    Good point re. non-suggestions.

Yes, suggestions only would be fine.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    FYI if you hover over your rating you get a pop up screen that will let you change your rating. 'Funny' is standing in for a negative rating as they were removed from the forums to reduce flame-wars.

Reaction score
    FYI if you hover over your rating you get a pop up screen that will let you change your rating. 'Funny' is standing in for a negative rating as they were removed from the forums to reduce flame-wars.
    Yes, I know.
    That doesn't allow for accurate ratings if OP's are changed after they gather likes. No-one is going to keep tabs on an OP to see if it changes so they can update their like.

You end up with suggestions whose like levels are no longer of any value, because they can't be trusted to be for what is currently written.

Reaction score
    I fully support the suggestion's intention, but I'd prefer a history changelog, as there is in wikis. That way you could see any changes made at any time, not only the latest, and still don't need to restrict editability.
    Maybe an indicator how many times the post has been edited would be helpful too, in combination with a history of at what time ratings were given; they're already listed chronologically.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

Is this happening often enough that it's an issue?

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I fully support the suggestion's intention, but I'd prefer a history changelog, as there is in wikis. That way you could see any changes made at any time, not only the latest, and still don't need to restrict editability.
    Maybe an indicator how many times the post has been edited would be helpful too, in combination with a history of at what time ratings were given; they're already listed chronologically.
    If I change a suggestion, I write an edit note about what was changed and when. I think that's common courtesy. Including that in the forum rules and call any violaters' attention to it might already be sufficient. A history changelog would of course be cool, though.

Reaction score
    If I change a suggestion, I write an edit note about what was changed and when. I think that's common courtesy. Including that in the forum rules and call any violaters' attention to it might already be sufficient. A history changelog would of course be cool, though.
    Part of the problem though is the ratings received will persist, even if you edit your post to say the opposite; it will also not be clear to others whether I "agreed" before or after the change. Unless I regularly revisit your post, I have no way of knowing whether it still says what I "liked" or "agreed". One way to help with that would be a notification sent out to all people who left a rating, advising them to reevaluate their ratings; another way might be to simply wipe the ratings up to the time of the latest edit and start from scratch.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Yes, I know.
    That doesn't allow for accurate ratings if OP's are changed after they gather likes. No-one is going to keep tabs on an OP to see if it changes so they can update their like.

You end up with suggestions whose like levels are no longer of any value, because they can't be trusted to be for what is currently written.
    Isn't this what "last edited @" and "edit history" are for?

Reaction score
    Is this happening often enough that it's an issue?
    How often do you think it would have to happen to be considered an issue?
    Once makes it an issue, I'd say. It damages the credibility of suggestions and their ratings as a whole.
    [doublepost=1475545580,1475545508][/doublepost]
    This is good practice, of course, but doesn't addres the issue at hand. The time of edits, and matching them to the time of likes isn't captured by this.
    [doublepost=1475545635][/doublepost]
    Isn't this what "last edited @" and "edit history" are for?
    As above, it doesn't record when likes were made w.r.t. edits, or which version of the OP was actually liked.

Just locking suggestion posts after 24 hours (for example) would be by far the simplest solution (not the only one though, as seen in posts above).

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    As above, it doesn't record when likes were made w.r.t. edits, or which version of the OP was actually liked.
    Doesn't record, or just doesn't display to non-mod/admin users? I've only admin'd VB and a custom SQL forum myself, so I can't say for sure about XenForo, but with VB there was the option for higher-ranked users to see histories and changes exactly as you describe.

Reaction score
    Doesn't record, or just doesn't display to non-mod/admin users? I've only admin'd VB and a custom SQL forum myself, so I can't say for sure about XenForo, but with VB there was the option for higher-ranked users to see histories and changes exactly as you describe.
    There's no difference from the perspective of a non-admin.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    There's no difference from the perspective of a non-admin.
    Suppose-so. i would think the difference matters quite a bit if this "problem" was to actually be looked at though. I recomend you go hunt through XF's documentation and se if there is a ready-written module or option to "fix" this problem.

After all; it's easier to get a nail beaten-down if you provide a hammer.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think I like the idea of being informed with a forum message that a post you liked has changed rather than any change wiping them entirely. It is not unheard of for me to post and then edit it twice in quick succession just to correct missed typos.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    One way to help with that would be a notification sent out to all people who left a rating, advising them to reevaluate their ratings; another way might be to simply wipe the ratings up to the time of the latest edit and start from scratch.
    Or...rather than delete the previous ratings: archive them at the time of a significant edit and continue to collect new ratings for the edited version of the OP.

Reactions: DrTarDIS

Erth Paradine

Server Admln & Bug Reporter
    Reaction score
    I would prefer both a mandatory notification option upon edits, and a changelog which includes the quantity of like/funny/agree/etc relevant to that particular revision. This enables OPs to continue updating the original posting as a conversation evolves, while enabling anyone to determine which particular edit won the popularity contest.