Allow Astronaut Roll

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    It would be nice if we could roll our astronauts when not aligned / not in gravity. It's like the only plane of movement they can't do and it seems silly that they can't.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Agreed. It could get a bit confusing without knowing where your feet are, but that could be fixed with a HUD arrow/diamond (indicating the no. of degrees your head is tipped away from you feet (your head doesn't tip to the side)).

Reactions: MacThule

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'd like the x0z axis to light up like the build-mode-symmetry.

If you don't like roll, you could align to that one.

Reactions: MacThule

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    This would help me get stuck slightly less, a handful of times Ive had to align to a carefully rotated core to rotate my astronaut in this game and it's a rare but memorable inconvenience due to there not being a "proper" way to do it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    It would be nice if we could roll our astronauts when not aligned / not in gravity. It's like the only plane of movement they can't do and it seems silly that they can't.
    I'll be honest I can care less it isn't going to make anything easier one way or another. Generally you can align to the object you are in the influence of by hitting space. I don't fly with an astronaut to take picture or anything I simply use a core or another ship.
    In short if they do it and you can find a way it is useful to you great. I just think their time could better be spent on real issues stuff that needs fixing.

Agreed. It could get a bit confusing without knowing where your feet are, but that could be fixed with a HUD arrow/diamond (indicating the no. of degrees your head is tipped away from you feet (your head doesn't tip to the side)).
    If you assume the camera view is the astronauts view then where the feet are is pretty obvious. Well unless their legs get chopped off.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    If you assume the camera view is the astronauts view then where the feet are is pretty obvious. Well unless their legs get chopped off.
    Actually, you don't know if you're looking up or down until you bump into a doorway, align with an object, or reach the max threshold for looking up/down. Not knowing where your feet are is already a thing. o_O

Nxn

Reaction score
    I never did get why players are forced into alignment with the Y axis. With Space Engineers the whole "feet" problem is solved very simply, where ever you are pointing, your feet are directly down from your view (if you have your jetpack on). I wouldn't even be mad if Starmade directly copied the jetpack mode from SE if you weren't aligned to any ship, it's a great system for movement, and the only reason to argue that it's not as good as flying a ship in SE is that your inventory is pitiful.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Actually, you don't know if you're looking up or down until you bump into a doorway, align with an object, or reach the max threshold for looking up/down. Not knowing where your feet are is already a thing. o_O
    Actually. There is a max angle of 180 up down rotation. Probably because they are using matrices vs using quaternions.
    So at least for me pretty easy to determine. In short if you don't know pull strait down on your mouse where it stops is the direction your feet are facing.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Actually. There is a max angle of 180 up down rotation. Probably because they are using matrices vs using quaternions.
    So at least for me pretty easy to determine. In short if you don't know pull strait down on your mouse where it stops is the direction your feet are facing.
    1st=yaw;way; space-time (1 second ~ (6+1)x around earth - fits perfectly with hexagons and platonic solids)
    2nd=roll; whole dimension = 360° or 2(PI)rad divided among n*integers
    3rd=pitch; half dimension = 180° or (PI)rad divided among (n/2)*integers
    4th=scale; time-logarithmic dimension (equals) space-log. dimension (look at 1st)

The problem with astronaut mode is that turning to >=180° in the 3rd dimension would turn you inside-out.
    This works by flipping top/down for yourself.​

Last edited:

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah, I've often found this weird and contrary to the whole idea of being an astronaut in space.
    Perhaps just allow the astronaught to have the same range of movement as a core on its own. Then we wouldn't need to keep creating cores.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    It seems pointlessly restrictive and clumsy, and yeah - everyone lives in cores while not in a ship even if they haven't got far to go because it's just more maneuverable even in zero-G.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    1st=yaw;way; space-time (1 second ~ (6+1)x around earth - fits perfectly with hexagons and platonic solids)
    2nd=roll; whole dimension = 360° or 2(PI)rad divided among n*integers
    3rd=pitch; half dimension = 180° or (PI)rad divided among (n/2)*integers
    4th=scale; time-logarithmic dimension (equals) space-log. dimension (look at 1st)

The problem with astronaut mode is that turning to >=180° in the 3rd dimension would turn you inside-out.
    This works by flipping top/down for yourself.​
    Nah if you use quaternions it would just role you like you are doing a forward or backwards flip.