All Wolfs ?'s about missile post/My first Fighter

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    ...a total of 300 power mods...
    Just to give you an idea, I will use over 4000 power modules on a ship no larger than 49 blocks, and I will do that pretty much with my first real ship, generating over a million power per second. Such a ship has no problem cloaking even while carrying a decent salvage array (as long as you haven't put too much else on it).

Be aware though, that IS a cube, and a lot of people don't like cubes. You can deviate from the cube format, but your mass will go up relative to your volume if you use hull cladding and your turn rate will suffer.

Reaction score
    alright.. you are going to have to post screen shots of this power eating monster.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Alright. To the right you see the skeleton of a new such 'box' that is slightly larger than 49, actually 53. When finished, it will not actually be a box but that is it's starting power structure shape. To the left is a semi-complete ship based roughly on the same idea, that suffers a few different failings, hence the new construction.

I've recently become enamored of turrets, which has caused me to deviate from pure cubism. It makes little sense to force one's length dimension to stay true to a box, if one's height and width by virtue of turrets are going to stretch. One might as well expand the length to correspond. I might yet return to my borg roots though, as I pine for the simplicity of earlier days, and have new vision as to how to wow the cube skeptics with my borg greebles.

Reaction score
    see.. when you said "49 blocks" I got the wrong impression. So I am feeling okay with my 300 again.. LOL

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Little known fact, missiles ignore armor.

I do all my weapon tests against a big block of hardened armor. When I was testing swarm missiles I noticed smaller arrays with a 1:1 slave would appeared to deal no damage to the target, a second volley revealed the damage as the first shot was below the threshold of visible damage but the damage was done. This should never be a problem on any missile other than really small swarm or rapid fire missiles due to the high damage nature of missiles.

Missiles will get an overhaul in the future to patch certain bugs.
    Strange. Looks like I'm going to have to find another explanation for 5mil damage missiles being completely negated by huge chunks of unshielded advanced armor.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Strange. Looks like I'm going to have to find another explanation for 5mil damage missiles being completely negated by huge chunks of unshielded advanced armor.
    Yeah that shouldn't happen... do you have any effects on it?

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    It's a skeleton yet, but you can improve this design. Try making side small wings to maximize those power reactors that are comming from the side. You can improve the power schematic as well if you increase the length of the ship, help as well the eye-pleasing factor, since it won't be "cubic" once you place the hull blocks.

Size-wise, If you want this ship to be a fighter/bomber , you should aim for 400~600 mass.
    You should also establish a big thrust/mass ratio, since you will be driving a small vessel, you MUST be fast. Personally I aim for 4:1, but it's up to you.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1422711214,1422711024][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Be aware though, that IS a cube, and a lot of people don't like cubes. You can deviate from the cube format, but your mass will go up relative to your volume if you use hull cladding and your turn rate will suffer.
    We do hate cubes because they are the most efficient format of ship possible. It's plain cheap. You get the best possibilities on power settling, the best turn rate speeds possible as well, compared with a ship with the same mass. Also, the % of wasted ship mass lost due to hulls is the minimum possible.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    We do hate cubes because they are the most efficient format of ship possible. It's plain cheap. You get the best possibilities on power settling, the best turn rate speeds possible as well, compared with a ship with the same mass. Also, the % of wasted ship mass lost due to hulls is the minimum possible.
    I would assert that is not a reason to hate cubes. That is a reason to hate the mechanics which 'make' cubes so desirable and to campaign to change that. I have several threads in these forums aiming to do just that. Until those mechanics change however, I will not force myself to fly something that is both less pleasant to fly (turn rate is a HUGE deal for me) and more vulnerable to PvP griefers due to lowered efficiency.

Reaction score
    Not yet. I haven't link the computers and effects yet. I have cannon, damage and another mounted ready to link. I am going to add more thrust power and shields... it may turn into a corvette here soon...

Reaction score
    I joined the missile computer with the cannon computer. I need to add the effect... damage beam. From what I.can figure that would give me the third column of effects... smart, fast reloading close range missiles. Am I.missing anything? I can't Seem to add the effect??
    [DOUBLEPOST=1422727161,1422726832][/DOUBLEPOST]
    It's a skeleton yet, but you can improve this design. Try making side small wings to maximize those power reactors that are comming from the side. You can improve the power schematic as well if you increase the length of the ship, help as well the eye-pleasing factor, ...

Size-wise, If you want this ship to be a fighter/bomber , you should aim for 400~600 mass.
    You should also establish a big thrust/mass ratio, since you will be driving a small vessel, you MUST be fast. Personally I aim for 4:1, but it's up to you.
    I think it's going to end up being a bigger than normal fighter. I Still have to.add hull and armor and glass and cameras. As I said... I am working on the effects ... as I have said... I.can always add more power..Shields... don't have to.be efficient: )

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I joined the missile computer with the cannon computer. I need to add the effect... damage beam. From what I.can figure that would give me the third column of effects... smart, fast reloading close range missiles. Am I.missing anything? I can't Seem to add the effect??
    You can only add one additional weapon type to a weapon system. The third thing you add is an effect, not a weapon. So in your case you could add either cannon or beam to your missiles, but not both. I recommend ion effect, but only partial, to boost your weapon's ability to knock down shields. If you have energy to spare however, overdrive is the way to go for effect.

Reaction score
    okay. there is a chart on this page... for missiles.. the Third column. is what I want. So I should just have my missiles hooked to damage beam computer... and I will add explosive effect. (for now) how do you add that effect? is what i am asking . which key do you push? do you install the computer brick, of the other block to is somehow?

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Once you have an effect computer and the module blocks to go with it you can link those to a weapon system the very same way you can link other weapons to one.

Reaction score
    So, I would put the explosive computer on the ship... and link the computer to the explosive effect modules. correct so far... do I think Link the explosive computer to the missile computer? do i put the explosive effect modules on the missile tubes?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1422739237,1422735695][/DOUBLEPOST]got .. just watched a really good video.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    It does not matter where you put the explosive modules. You link the explosive modules to the explosive computer. You link the explosive computer to the missile computer, the same missile computer that the beam computer got linked to.

Reactions: Wolfskin75
    Reaction score
    Thanks. so my friend took it for a test drive..
    on the good side:
    • 4000 damage per missile
    • Flies like a dream
    • has shields
    on the bad side:
    • can only fire just one missile at a time (power issues)
    • can only take 10 good hits from pirates cause the shield recharge .. well power issues.
    back to the design table. :) I am taking out half the missile tubes and replacing them with the beam modules. Add the explosive effect, Adding shields and way more power. I think that halfing the missile tubes will free up some power.. plus I do have a jump drive for when things get scary. ( more power)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Consider batteries instead of reducing your missile payload. Generally the way I plan things is to look at my surplus power output after shields, jammers, etc.. If I am using missiles with a 15 second recycle rate I multiply that energy regeneration rate by 15, and that is how much energy storage I need, the base 50K is NOT enough. If I am using 45 second recycle rate sniper missiles (the one with 100% beam slave), then I will multiply the power storage by that much, by 45. Once I know how much total energy I have with which to launch a salvo, I divide the total energy storage by the energy cost per module of the weapon system I am using. That tells me how many modules I can and should install.

Ultimately everything is therefore dependent upon energy generation.

Reaction score
    I am about 67k right now. I am worried about the mass ... not soo much but I still have armor it up. which is cool, cause I was struck with a really good idea. I wish I had as good of ideas for the mechanics of it. I will post again tomorrow with my updates.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Replacing missile tubes for beam modules will not solve your power problems, in fact it will make it worse. Adding more beam modules (assuming you are not already at 100% effectiveness) will increase the damage and reload time, making the missiles need more power each shot. You can multiply the damage of the weapon by 10 to get an estimate of how much power you will need per shot. 4000 damage per missile means those missiles will take at least 40,000 power each. There is some additional power consumption for firing multiple projectiles as well.