All ship systems require a controlling computer

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I would like to see ALL systems (including power and shields) require a controller computer. This would:

1) Introduce a point of weakness in the system that can be targeted. (Like how a weapon currently goes down when the computer is destroyed)

2) Allow configurability of the system. You could have the power or shields computer in your weapons hotbar. Precharging or activating the power computer would allow 50% increased power for 15-30 seconds. Shields could be adjusted to different strength levels or would only activate when turned on in the hotbar. No need to fly around with shields on full battle strength all the time.

3) All computers would output a logic signal when drained or activated. This would allow us to link lights or other systems to the power system so they go out when out of power. Or allow red lights to turn on when shields are down.

Reactions: Hazarod and Criss
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I like points 2 and 3 but I wouldnt like shields and power to have a weakness like that. So instead shields, power, and thrust should automatically be in your weapons computer so that they can be added to your hotbar and then have a display module that only has the power or shield output displayed be able to be used with logic.

Reaction score
    I do so like this idea. The fact that maybe we could turn all power on/off for leaving home, or turning shields for factories for when we need more juice and the pirates are gone. There's lots of applications for this, I especially love the idea of logic activating upon depletion/charging. (IMO this should be added somehow even if this suggestion isn't. Emergency lighting?)

I'm giving this a like.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I like points 2 and 3 but I wouldnt like shields and power to have a weakness like that. So instead shields, power, and thrust should automatically be in your weapons computer so that they can be added to your hotbar and then have a display module that only has the power or shield output displayed be able to be used with logic.
    I disagree. I think shield and power weakness will be the next step in ship destruction. The devs want to leave a wreckage after the ship is defeated. I think shield and energy computers is the logical extension of this idea. Furthermore, I think it is self-balancing if multiple system computers are allowed. That is, more than one shield and energy system per ship. So to kill the ship, you have to kill all those computers. Plus, to shift energy, you can activate or deactivate different subsystems. E.g. shut down the beta thruster groups to divert more power to weapons during combat.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I disagree. I think shield and power weakness will be the next step in ship destruction. The devs want to leave a wreckage after the ship is defeated. I think shield and energy computers is the logical extension of this idea. Furthermore, I think it is self-balancing if multiple system computers are allowed. That is, more than one shield and energy system per ship. So to kill the ship, you have to kill all those computers. Plus, to shift energy, you can activate or deactivate different subsystems. E.g. shut down the beta thruster groups to divert more power to weapons during combat.
    This is a better summery of my idea, post I made forever ago (Before HP was announced) http://starmadedock.net/threads/next-generation-the-solution-to-core-drilling.175/