All right! My first "advanced" rail build

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Wanted to make an elevator system that could be called and had auto doors. It was touch and go for a while, but I think I figured it out!
    why are you pressing the lower button when you want to call the elevator up?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    You people and your doors that close after the elevator moves. Stick an activator on the ends of the rails (where the dockers would be when "closed") and hook them all up to a AND block which toggles an seperate Activator. Slave that activator to a Rail speed controller and have that control the speed of the main elevator shaft rail. What that does is make it so that the elevator can not move at all if the doors are open (You could also probably set up speed controllers so that people cant force the doors open and jam the system).

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You people and your doors that close after the elevator moves. Stick an activator on the ends of the rails (where the dockers would be when "closed") and hook them all up to a AND block which toggles an seperate Activator. Slave that activator to a Rail speed controller and have that control the speed of the main elevator shaft rail. What that does is make it so that the elevator can not move at all if the doors are open (You could also probably set up speed controllers so that people cant force the doors open and jam the system).

My doors could be jammed open if someone stuck something between them. Aside from that, no button pushing will jam the system. I have changed floors mid motion and nothing happens. The doors are activated by the presence of the elevator. The elevator operates seperate from the door mechanism. I will post a picture to show you.

starmade-screenshot-0007.png starmade-screenshot-0006.png
    [DOUBLEPOST=1436337148,1436336999][/DOUBLEPOST]

Reactions: Rumcajz
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    My doors could be jammed open if someone stuck something between them. Aside from that, no button pushing will jam the system. I have changed floors mid motion and nothing happens. The doors are activated by the presence of the elevator. The elevator operates seperate from the door mechanism. I will post a picture to show you.

View attachment 13630 View attachment 13631
    [DOUBLEPOST=1436337148,1436336999][/DOUBLEPOST]
    lawl nice turret on the background :P

Reactions: Kyoretsu

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I am aware, but even your current elevator could be jammed with a single block on the shaft. Elevators are for RP mostly, especially ones of that design, so it's just odd to see them function as such that would be potentially dangerous irl.
    I can pictures to >:u

Reactions: Rumcajz
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I am aware, but even your current elevator could be jammed with a single block on the shaft. Elevators are for RP mostly, especially ones of that design, so it's just odd to see them function as such that would be potentially dangerous irl.

I build RP ships. That's what I do. Elevators work like mine IN real life. You go to a floor, the doors open. The elevator leaves, they close. I don't understand your issue.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1436407489,1436407337][/DOUBLEPOST]

And I don't understand why people would be building in an elevator shaft anyway. It's kind of common knowledge that they are to remain empty.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    And I don't understand why people would be building in an elevator shaft anyway. It's kind of common knowledge that they are to remain empty.
    It's also common knowledge to not block the doors, which is the point I was after.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The issue that Tao is describing is that the elevator does not wait for the doors to close before moving. As such, should a door be jammed open, you could have access to an elevator shaft... hence the potentially RP dangerous situation.

Is that what you were describing Tao?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The issue that Tao is describing is that the elevator does not wait for the doors to close before moving. As such, should a door be jammed open, you could have access to an elevator shaft... hence the potentially RP dangerous situation.

Is that what you were describing Tao?

I still don't understand why someone would do that. I built the elevator to move around a very large ship. Since it's purpose is for people to be in when moving and out when stopped, I don't understand why I should be that concerned with safety measures. Once they spawn my ship, it's their problem. They can modify as needed. There will be plenty of room.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    It doesn't prevent function and your elevator still look good bud. Just one of those things :p. Like making air locks that can't have a situation where the user can force an open door to space. Doesn't make a blind bit of difference in reality atm as there is no atmosphere the same could be true of long elevator shafts and fall damage (if and when it makes an appearance)

Still good job on the elevator tho mate. They can be tricky to get to function sometimes :p

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It doesn't prevent function and your elevator still look good bud. Just one of those things :p. Like making air locks that can't have a situation where the user can force an open door to space. Doesn't make a blind bit of difference in reality atm as there is no atmosphere the same could be true of long elevator shafts and fall damage (if and when it makes an appearance)

Still good job on the elevator tho mate. They can be tricky to get to function sometimes :p

Thank you, sir. Your help on my other post has kind of skyrocketed my logic abilities, and I am excited to see what else I can do in the future.

Reactions: iceman6491
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Thank you, sir. Your help on my other post has kind of skyrocketed my logic abilities, and I am excited to see what else I can do in the future.

I have a suggestion for you.
    make an elevator override system. when multiple people want to use the elevator, it needs a smart override system to still work properly.
    you don't want to be almost at the 49th floor when someone pushes the button at the first floor and then drags you all the way down.
    yet you want to pick up people when you go from floor 10 to floor 15 and there are people at floor 12.
    I suggest a call button for when you want to go up and a call button for when you want to go down.
    if the elevator comes by moving downwards, and you pushed the down button, it will pick you up.
    but if you pushed the up button and the elevator moves downwards he wont pick you up.
    also second destination system could be handy.
    if you can figure that out, you master the wisdom of logic fully.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    make an elevator override system. when multiple people want to use the elevator, it needs a smart override system to still work properly.
    you don't want to be almost at the 49th floor when someone pushes the button at the first floor and then drags you all the way down.
    yet you want to pick up people when you go from floor 10 to floor 15 and there are people at floor 12.
    I suggest a call button for when you want to go up and a call button for when you want to go down.
    if the elevator comes by moving downwards, and you pushed the down button, it will pick you up.
    but if you pushed the up button and the elevator moves downwards he wont pick you up.

I was thinking about that yesterday. I don't understand logic enough to make something that complicated. I seriously just started playing with logic.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Challenge accepted ;)

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I was thinking about that yesterday. I don't understand logic enough to make something that complicated. I seriously just started playing with logic.
    it's not really the logic you need to worry about, it's more about the reasoning. me for example, I know pretty much all there is to know with logic, but I haven't tried to make that smart system. because I started thinking about it, and I couldn't think of a smart system, not even in terms of logic. I always think: what do I want to build, how will that work. and then I just start doing a bit random with logic. but for this I can't get past step 2. that holds me from trying it :D

Challenge accepted ;)
    good luck with it :D
    I suggest to make a nice view elevator shaft. and don't forget, an elevator doesn't need to go only straight up :D

e.g:
    http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v1/452873537_1/observation_external_elevator.jpg
    glass to look through

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    it's not really the logic you need to worry about, it's more about the reasoning. me for example, I know pretty much all there is to know with logic, but I haven't tried to make that smart system. because I started thinking about it, and I couldn't think of a smart system, not even in terms of logic. I always think: what do I want to build, how will that work. and then I just start doing a bit random with logic. but for this I can't get past step 2. that holds me from trying it :D

good luck with it :D
    I suggest to make a nice view elevator shaft. and an elevator doesn't need to go only straight up :D
    it'll probably end up as less of an elevator for decorative use and more of a tech demo