All of these tiny servers is toxic.

Reaction score
    I feel like starmade is the kind of game that was made to be played with mutiplayer, but seeing how ever server i can find only has around 7-10 people on it max, (which is laughable) I feel like the mutiplayer is meh at best. If the mutiplayers where spread less thinly, when what need is fewer servers that are much bigger.

Reaction score
    10 players per server would be a pretty good number , decent overall latency with a low risk of lag-generating accidents. Usually it\'s less , though.

The main problem is rather that most players choose to play in their corner (or just with their faction) resulting in little to no interaction. Hundreds of people on the same server do not really play multiplayer if they\'re all 50 sectors apart.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    yea, there needs to be more opimitzation (which schema has been doing) and faction joining issues

like how easy it is to greif things

Reaction score
    what are you going to do to \"fix\" this supposed issue? not let people make servers anymore and only have a few? some people dont want to have a huge server with 100 people. some just want to go on with friends and explore. The game is built to be played the way you want it and not be forced into a huge multiplayer server. there isnt really a good way to limit servers.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    As people begin migrating towards larger factions (Already happening, albeit slowly) and the game gets all of it\'s nasty bugs patched out, players will eventually settle in a central \'core\' of servers. There will always be a huge excess of small servers with only a few people on them occasionally, but that\'s kinda the point of small servers.

Give things some time. We\'re still in the stage where half the people that join start up their little server.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    You can\'t stop the spreading of players or creation of smaller servers. But perhaps when Star-made is closer to it\'s final form and more optimized, there could be several region specific offical servers. All playing with the same vanilla settings with dedicated support, capable of large player quantities.

If such a service was provided i\'m sure larger and permanent factions would develop and more fulfilling multiplayer could be achieved.

We need to remind ourselves occasionally how early in development this game is, there is huge room for improvements that would benifit multiplayer aspects.

Reaction score
    I don\'t find 7-10 people laughable.

It\'s all objective. Up to the player, what he/she desires.

Things will sort out themselves as time progress.

Reaction score
    I think also one of the reasons that many new servers pop up is that there are many different ways starmade can be played. As example, hardcore servers(not with hardcore in the name but actually hard ones). I see one of them popping up every week or so but then they close down again. Besides for RP and vanilla starmade, there are no large servers.

Reaction score
    Might be interesting is a running server logged in to a master server as a sector.
    Or something along those lines. You would jump bascially between servers - jump gates would be offline based on server loads. Or if one was running a local server you could allow folks to jump through your sector cluster. Your ship would be configured to only jump to servers based on your required settings or something.

I love pulling stuff out of my rear like this when I should be sleeping :-p

Very technicial to make it actually work - but it would be appealing alternative idea to explore in a game. Seems like it was tried before with browser based game or something - I don\'t recall...

Reaction score
    It can actually be quite fun to play with a small group of like minded people. The trouble begins, as others have said, when people go off and do entirely their own thing. Then you\'re not so much playing multiplayer player as you are playing single player with other people in the general area.