ai /turrets/ships ,and new wepon combos

Reaction score
    does anyone have any clue as to why exactly the turrets and ship AI cannot aim the new weapon combos exa. cannon artillery. cannon charge gun. why is it that cannon by itself works. cannon,cannon works , but the artillery cannon does not .

why can [cannon] turrets hit the target but [artillery cannon] shoots at the general target area {even stations/} but cant shoot the actual entity

Energywelder

Director-General, EDY
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Uh, just to make sure, by artillery cannon and charge cannon, you mean can/beam and can/missile, right?

Reaction score
    Uh, just to make sure, by artillery cannon and charge cannon, you mean can/beam and can/missile, right?
    yeah i Dont know witch one is witch off the top of y head
    im mostly talking about the artillery cannon though it should work its just reduced ROF

Energywelder

Director-General, EDY
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    yeah i Dont know witch one is witch off the top of y head
    im mostly talking about the artillery cannon though it should work its just reduced ROF
    Now i'm no expert, nor do i play by the meta, but i'm pretty sure that both combo sets that are having trouble hitting have both lower rates of fire, and lower projectile speed. That second is the most crucial because it means it takes longer for the "shell" to reach the target, giving it more time to maneuver and "dodge" the projectile. That's all i'm prepared to say with any certainty, there might be a bug in the programming but i don't know how to examine that.

Reaction score
    Now i'm no expert, nor do i play by the meta, but i'm pretty sure that both combo sets that are having trouble hitting have both lower rates of fire, and lower projectile speed. That second is the most crucial because it means it takes longer for the "shell" to reach the target, giving it more time to maneuver and "dodge" the projectile. That's all i'm prepared to say with any certainty, there might be a bug in the programming but i don't know how to examine that.

incorrect there is an aiming problem with the new computer combos...sitting still. shooting a non moving target from 500m away cannon hits, cannon cannon hits, cannon beam, and cannon missile miss every time

Reactions: KevinFett
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    From what I've seen, Turret AI still has a preferred area to aim at on a ship. They will continue to shoot at this part of the ship, even if all blocks in that location are destroyed, resulting in the turrets shooting through the same hole repeatedly. When it comes to the Artillery combo, the gun is supposed to be "less accurate." It almost looks like there is a minimum distance from that preferred target that the Artillery AI will shoot at, resulting in a battery of cannons completely missing small, stationary ships. Here's two GIFs of my ship demonstrating these "errors."
    P.S. adjusting AI accuracy in the game settings did not affect the two outcomes.
    AI preferred target.gif starmade-gif-0005.gif

Reactions: Dr. Whammy
    Reaction score
    From what I've seen, Turret AI still has a preferred area to aim at on a ship. They will continue to shoot at this part of the ship, even if all blocks in that location are destroyed, resulting in the turrets shooting through the same hole repeatedly. When it comes to the Artillery combo, the gun is supposed to be "less accurate." It almost looks like there is a minimum distance from that preferred target that the Artillery AI will shoot at, resulting in a battery of cannons completely missing small, stationary ships. Here's two GIFs of my ship demonstrating these "errors."
    P.S. adjusting AI accuracy in the game settings did not affect the two outcomes.
    View attachment 54240 View attachment 54241
    those dont look like arty cannons
    [doublepost=1564522044,1564521953][/doublepost]
    View attachment 54240 View attachment 54241
    ill test range later

Reactions: KevinFett
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    The first GIF is of standard cannons, the second is of multiple ARTY cannons.

Energywelder

Director-General, EDY
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    knjarr . . . can you send me a BP of your SD? I'm a huge SW nerd and need that in my life

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    When I adjust AI aiming accuracy, either in the Local Play Adv. Settings, or in the Server Config file, it always resets back to 200... Is that setting tied to something else that I need to adjust as well?

Energywelder

Director-General, EDY
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Um, that might be a setting that needs to be changed before the new server goes is created, and can't be changed afterwards? Absolutely no idea, just guessing.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I just tried creating a new world and got the same result, the AI Accuracy setting always resets to 200.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Turrets and AI have always been pretty wonky. But they're supposed to be updated in the big update, so maybe it'll be fixed? No guarantees.