AI Fleets Default State "Defend"

Reaction score
    It would be preferable to have the AI fleets you set up have a different default state than "Idle." Currently, if an enemy jumps to a fleet location the ships will do nothing due to being defaulted to idle. That ends up making fleets being useful only when the player is online.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    *Gives twelfth Agree rating*

Yes! So much yes!

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    *Gives 13th agree rating*

Yes, default to defend would work wonders. Remembering the last orders no matter what might also help.

Reaction score
    Remembering the last orders no matter what
    This. If they don't, it's a bug that needs fixing, not a workaround.

I don't want my scanner sentries, or miners or freighters for that matter, to stubbornly defend to the last ship when they should instead run at the first sign of trouble.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'd be happy if we could have blocks that let you pick a fleet command via logic.

That way my attack carriers could add "Defend" to the launch logic so that any time I deploy fighters/drones they immediately go on the defensive. Or so that my mining fleet can immediately go on "Mine Sector" whenever I launch them.

Reaction score
    Schine:
    Hmm .. how should we set AI fleets?

How about default do-nothing?
    Default dance routines!
    What if we default them to stay in the sector and defend themselves?

*Shattering window*

Sorry, I'm too lazy to use a meme generator.
    EDIT: Meant in jest, of course. However, I agree 100% with a DEFAULT defend state; however, an Idle option would be great. Also, if orders could remain active ... that'd be great.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I'd say Being in the same state I logged out with them in would be nice. Say I logged out with them in Attack I should login with them in Attack, same thing with the other commands.

Reaction score
    Schine:
    Hmm .. how should we set AI fleets?

How about default do-nothing?
    Default dance routines!
    What if we default them to stay in the sector and defend themselves?

*Shattering window*

Sorry, I'm too lazy to use a meme generator.
    EDIT: Meant in jest, of course. However, I agree 100% with a DEFAULT defend state; however, an Idle option would be great. Also, if orders could remain active ... that'd be great.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for the removal of an Idle option. I just don't think it should be the default state of ships. Topic for another thread, but I think Idle should be updated to attack if attacked upon. So if someone decides to hit them, then they turn aggressive.

Reaction score
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for the removal of an Idle option. I just don't think it should be the default state of ships. Topic for another thread, but I think Idle should be updated to attack if attacked upon. So if someone decides to hit them, then they turn aggressive.
    Oh I know, I just didn't mention it. I know you weren't advocating a removal of the Idle option; that's necessary for editing ships/decommissioning them/whatnot else/resupply/docking/anything-the-AI-can't-handle-yet. However .... a different default would be nice, at least after the first spawn. If on the first spawn, it idled until given orders, and all other logins (or sector loads) when it did NOT have a stored state, it could switch to Defend or Sentry mode, that would be excellent. If it has a stored orders set, keep it; if not, switch to Defend Sector or Sentry or whatever it's called (I haven't looked in a while, ok?)