Ai factions, a giant ball of ideas.

Would you want this idea, or at least some of it, implemented?

• All of it!

• Some of it!

• Could use some work.

• Do not want.

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    It'd be a matter of having pre-built components put into the system, and make certain parts compatible with others. I'm also not sure how you got the idea that my suggestion is more about pre-determined factions, rather than dynamic factions (procedurally generated and can change significantly) and my system would easily be able to support having server owners create custom NPC factions since both the generating and AI of the factions would simply be based around a large amount of numbers, which could easily be changed via commands or configs, so it supports your idea as well. :p

I also hate the idea of getting missions from high up the chain of command, rather than immediately being basked in greatness by everyone, you could either be the ruler of your own faction, and control the NPCs in your way, or you can help out another. (these are ideas which I'm coming up with now :p) If you see some miners under attack, or some refuges being caught by police, then helping them out will give you recognition, until it gets to a point in which the faction your helping starts to ask for help, using a similar storyline mission system found in EVE, in which you'll perform little tasks every now and then which'll help the faction in it's current goal. At some point, if you gain enough recognition, you could get yourself onto their government, and eventually voted for by the population. This idea could be very nice to implement in both of our suggestions, as it will allow for more immersion, and make the world feel as if it's a proper universe, rather than a game world.
    I dunno about you, but I think my idea keeps it simpler and within the sandbox feel of the game, where you can create (opr upload) factions into your game to use. I could see giving factions different behaviors as being viable, but I don't think that they should have many similarities as other games. StarMade ain't Sandbox EVE after all.

As for what you suggested in the second paragraph, that sounds a lot like what you do in the game "The last federation" (Do things to gain trust and influence), and honestly, I don't see Starmade taking that sort of political route. The game is, first and foremost, about building ships and stations, and fighting among others over things that I assume will be added later in development.

So I stand by what I said before, I don't believe our ideas are as similar as you think they are.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    where you can create (opr upload) factions into your game to use.
    Was your enemy nice enough to put their faction on community content? You can now test fight them in SP whenever you like.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I dunno about you, but I think my idea keeps it simpler and within the sandbox feel of the game, where you can create (opr upload) factions into your game to use. I could see giving factions different behaviors as being viable, but I don't think that they should have many similarities as other games. StarMade ain't Sandbox EVE after all.

As for what you suggested in the second paragraph, that sounds a lot like what you do in the game "The last federation" (Do things to gain trust and influence), and honestly, I don't see Starmade taking that sort of political route. The game is, first and foremost, about building ships and stations, and fighting among others over things that I assume will be added later in development.

So I stand by what I said before, I don't believe our ideas are as similar as you think they are.
    Do you seriously think that having a procedurally generated faction in a procedurally generated world that procedurally does things that benefit itself that procedurally changes the faction in a variety of ways that can be influenced by other factions isn't sandboxy? The factions can die for fucks sake! They can actually significantly change! How is that not better for a sandbox? Not only that but you can create your own factions that are full of NPCs and you can do whatever you want with it, you can mess with the AI/generation of factions through configs, create new ones with commands, and they're all DYNAMIC. How is a dynamic system not as good for a Sandbox game then strictly pre-determined factions? Not only that, but how are immersion breaking laborious missions better than attempting to gain influence yourself by just helping out wherever? How are predetermined factions superior to DYNAMIC changing factions that can be wiped out, changed via defectors, become a horrible dictatorship and create defectors, etc. etc. etc. DYNAMIC factions opens the door to so many more possibilities, experiences and more immersion in general, AND YOU SAY IT DOESN'T FIT A SANDBOX!?

Apologies for getting angry, but that sentence is too ridiculous to be feasibly logical that it frustrates me extremely.