AI engage range

Reaction score
    I guess Ithirahad is right, this should be at least pointed for future works on.

I tried to design an AI ship recently and did a few test with very low range weapons with some changes in the settings (see it with beams with really small ranges). With theses test i realised that the current AI is taking the measure to engage their weapons from the center of mass (or the core, i'm not entirely sure wich one it is) and not the weapons outputs. What's the problem then ? Well, what if we got weapons output behind the center ? How will the AI handle that ?

It doesn't, the AI will desperatly try to shoot at their target while remaining out of range because they stay at the weapon range designed by the center of mass. I first tough it was the core but with further testing i think it's the center of mass. It's needs a lot more testing and i'm not interested in doing so to clear this out, i just found something that restrict and could completely get some ships usied by the AI, impossible to use and that isn't probably intended. Not to mention if you use sideways missile-beams shot behind your center of mass, the AI will stay so far from the target that it will never reach it.

So for future AI rework, please keep that in mind.

Last edited: