AI Command, Ship Death Suggestions

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    AI Commands

-Geared toward and increased viability in using drones and AI's
    -AI Commands
    -AI Communication
    -AI Classes

The basic Idea is to have an increased viability in using drones, and smaller ships against larger ships. While there is already some viability to using drones in combat against larger ships there are a few problems that present themselves.
    -AI Docking/Un-docking takes a long time
    -General Derpiness in AI Usage
    -Lack of teamwork to take down large ships

First, there should be a set of specialty blocks involved in the creation, and pathing of AIs. (Pathing for the purposes of docking) Specialty blocks should be mildly hard to make.
    -Dock assignment block
    -A block would be linked to the dock on the ship, and possibly placed on the drone ship itself. For each
    assignment block there is a code. The code from both the block assigned to the dock, and the block
    on the drone must match. The drone would then, upon command, dock to it's assigned dock based on
    the codes of the assignment block. The assignment block codes could be set by either docking the drone to the dock, or inputting it manually.
    -Transmit Antenna
    -Required in order to send commands to drones. Transmit range based on antenna size, similar to
    the scanner antenna.
    -Receiver Antenna
    -Required for a drone to be able to receive commands.
    -Possible blocks for assigning role of ship, effectiveness of path-finding, ability and effectiveness in the use
    of various weapons.

Secondly, there should be a very basic class system of drone that can be assigned within the AI module, or via the placement of a specialty block onto a drone.
    -Bomber, Fighter, Lone Ship
    The lone ship class would work similarly to the current AI, being kind of derpy and not being able to take commands.

Thirdly, there should be a basic set of commands for commanding Bombers and Fighters. The commands should not do too much, and there should not be too many, as starmade is not a first person, space RTS.
    -Initiated via the press of a hotkey, such as 'F'
    -After Initiation quick 1-3 class selection. 1 for fighters, 2 for bombers, 3 for both.
    -After class selection a few more basic commands as determined, once again, by number key hot-keys.
    -Engage Nearest Enemy
    -Engage Selected Target
    -Disengage
    -Dock
    -Possible Dock to assigned, and dock to nearest faction dock.
    -Undock
    Each of these is pretty self-explanatory, and would greatly increase the effectiveness of using drones. Perhaps just the ability to quickly dock, and undock the drones would be enough, though the other uses would be extremely helpful.

Other, optional drone ideas
    -Drones attack in unison
    -Drones having both a receive and transmit antenna could relay messages from a command ship to each
    other, increasing transmit range
    -Drone 'iq' determined by level of AI block, as well as weapon specialty blocks

Systems/Ship Death
    (Shields, Thrusters, Power, Sensors, Weapons)

This section is partially based off of this: http://starmadedock.net/threads/whats-with-ship-cores.2750/ post.

With the idea of an HP system being thrown around, hull should play a role in the assignment and reduction of HP, though ship systems should also play a role.
    HP should be based upon some total percentage of blocks in the ship (Already discussed), but should be reduced by both damage to hull, and to systems, with systems playing the larger role. One way to have systems play the larger role is to have them, 1) Reduce HP more dramatically when destroyed, or 2) When one block in a strip or group of systems is destroyed the damage should be spread out among all the connected blocks of the same system.
    The latter suggestion gives the effect of simulating an overheat within the system group, and puts more emphasis on spreading out, and protecting individual system groups. In order for this to work well there may have to be a slight bonus in grouping shields, and thrusters next to each other, if there isn't already one.
    After The HP is depleted on a ship there should be a different method of over-heating than the current timer, and disappearance of the ship (Admins Disregard these if the disappearance is a key part in preventing clutter, and lag from the killing of ships). Some suggestions are:
    -A Blast from the center of the ship of a decent size, large enough that smaller ships are completely consumed, yet small enough that there is still salvage, and 'survivors' on larger vessels.
    -A gradual reduction of blocks similar to how stars break blocks on your ship when you stray too close.
    -The creation of an entity similar to an asteroid.

(Some of these suggestions are not mine, and were ideas of people I was talking in chat with at the time.)
    PS. I apologize if any similar threads have been posted. I did a quick search beforehand to make sure.

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This gets posted every week, please search the forums before posting. New AI is on the roadmap, so is new ship death.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This gets posted every week, please search the forums before posting. New AI is on the roadmap, so is new ship death.
    Only part of it is calling drones back. There's an entire system that I described there.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    He did search the forums, found some threads, discussed it on chat and then made a suggestion. More than what most people do.
    And I don't actually see any recent suggestion threads about AI or ship death, just 1 about moving the core. Not that it matters, since it is bad manners to threadjack anyways.

Though for the suggestion itself, I have to wonder about the 3 classifications of the AI (Fighter, bomber or both). I do't exactly see what they mean, nor the differences between them. Could expand on it there.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Whatever you say, because I don't see one original thought up there.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Honestly,
    He did search the forums, found some threads, discussed it on chat and then made a suggestion. More than what most people do.
    And I don't actually see any recent suggestion threads about AI or ship death, just 1 about moving the core. Not that it matters, since it is bad manners to threadjack anyways.

Though for the suggestion itself, I have to wonder about the 3 classifications of the AI (Fighter, bomber or both). I do't exactly see what they mean, nor the differences between them. Could expand on it there.
    The classifications are simply for the purposes of having slightly different roles/groups for your AI's. For instance you might set your 'fighter' class to attack other 'bombers' and 'fighters', while your bomber class may be carrying missiles, or systems more suited to taking down large ships. What the class is is up to the creator of the ships, it simply boils down to adding a separate category and a little classification.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Honestly,

The classifications are simply for the purposes of having slightly different roles/groups for your AI's. For instance you might set your 'fighter' class to attack other 'bombers' and 'fighters', while your bomber class may be carrying missiles, or systems more suited to taking down large ships. What the class is is up to the creator of the ships, it simply boils down to adding a separate category and a little classification.
    So it's a preset of attack patterns or behaviours? Or will it be customizable in some respect? In case of the latter, you could have a really complex AI overlay, with the ability to print the AI onto a card that players can carry and trade/apply to a turret/Drone/etc (There is something like that in Computercraft, mod for minecraft).
    I dunno, just a thought that crossed my mind; basic options for everyone, and more advanced configs that can be sold for the really tech savvy people. Adds more dynamics to play.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Cyber
    So it's a preset of attack patterns or behaviours? Or will it be customizable in some respect? In case of the latter, you could have a really complex AI overlay, with the ability to print the AI onto a card that players can carry and trade/apply to a turret/Drone/etc (There is something like that in Computercraft, mod for minecraft).
    I dunno, just a thought that crossed my mind; basic options for everyone, and more advanced configs that can be sold for the really tech savvy people. Adds more dynamics to play.
    Those are actually really good ideas, though presets would probably more likely as they do less to turn it into a first-person RTS. On the topic of fighters though, there should also be an option in there that does something along the lines of command them to either attack other drones, or attack ships of equal size, though not necessarily
    team on one.

Reactions: CyberTao

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Whatever you say, because I don't see one original thought up there.
    Are you allergic to not being an arsehole, I may have paid attention to your point if you weren't being a douche about it.