AI(Bobby) Enhancements [Ships & Turrets]

Reaction score
    First post yo.
    Bulletpoints are easier to read because ideas are separated, so enjoy that.

Ships

• AI commands. Things like patrol waypoints, move to player(yourself or others), move to sector, move to shop, move to anything you can point at, dock, undock. follow ship, or even tell it to ram another ship (use for explosives and AI ships makes kamikazes).... you get the gist.

• Fleet system. Command AI to join you as a fleet, all under a single name. Only real function here is following the player ship and a fleet label, so you know how big it is, or so you dont have to deal with a ton of ships on your nav.

• Element specific targetting. Tell an AI to target engines, shields, power, or weapons/computers. Or maybe even cockpits so they cant see :P.

• Another AI command, except a bit different. A scout command. They have to have radar equipped(which I know is a potential addition). They can scout a specific area or randomly, or even randomly within a specific area.

• I'll add more if I think of more.

Turrets

• Turret control for a station or ship, change settings for all turrets on a station or ship at once, or set different turrets into groups and select one of those groups and only change those settings. You walk up to a block and use it, then the interface/window pops up.

• Some type of turret bunker/raiser when enemies are near they pop up and shoot. Not much else to say on this.

• Maybe allow them to have repair capabilities, so you can dock in a ship and let them repair you.

• Turrets save with ships(And stations if an update allows you to save them in the future.)

• DAS IT FOH NAO.

Reaction score
    NECRO REVIVE

No but seriously these are good ideas, even if the thread is oldschool.

Reaction score
    AI really does need improving... Hope it happens soon

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    In addition to the patrol feature you should give them the ability to broadcast/transmit to other player controled ships. (By transmission i mean like the one you get when you shoot a shop) so you can get them to say things like \"this is a private sector please leave or will ingage\" or some other guard system to protect your ships when you are offline

Reaction score
    please read my thread \"why an ai will not be able to patrol multiple sectors\". this gives the main reason why patrol systems will not be added.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I was thinking somehow if you had AI fighters they could follow the mothership they came from and dock back up with it when the battle is over.

Reaction score
    I agree that upgrades to the AI would be great, but I also think about the people that actually team up and form a large faction together. What would be the difference between a faction with multiple people and a lone wolf type of person with several AI ships doing tons of work for him and backing him up in his battles?

Dont get me wrong, the AI module could be used for great things. I just dont think it should be very powerful or else you rid the game of its need for humans.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like the idea, it makes a lot of sense and I agree with everything, the AI is a bit incapable at the moment and needs a upgrade. Just a suggestion, the AI should be able to form up with you, so say you have a large ship that is bad at taking down fighters, you could have AI guard the ship by attacking the oncoming enemy or attacking the enemy who is trying to target you. And then be able to land back with the ship, it would make bigger ships a bit easier to manage and make them a bit harder to take down.

Reaction score
    you wouldn\'t rid the need of humans it would just become a different genre, namely RTS

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Another addition that could be added to the AI is if certain modules like salvage computer or AstroTechnican were added to the ship or turret, the AI script would reconize this and change its list of function so you could have a large carrier/drone ship with either repair drones/ships or mining drones/ships, and providing the mining ships had a storage on board the resources would be dumped to that, and once docked would transfer thier cargo holds to the carriers main storage. Same with the turrets dumping what they mine directly to the ships onboard storage.

Yes I am aware some might view this a a single player basicly strip mining rocks in space and planets, however it also presents opertunity for PVP players to cash in on large hauls under opperation, its rather win win for both parties

another bit of AI that could be added to repair ships is blueprint re-construction so they can replace blocks missing on very damaged ships, providing the Carrier/Drone ship had all the blocks that was required.

Reaction score
    Simply put, if Im at war with nuetral my own turrets attack me. Considering in a faction and that turret is part of my faction why does it insist apon attacking me when im not in a ship with a faction core. Basically in astronaught form, or even in a unfactioned ship, it should not attack me. Same with ai ships. This one to me is one of the largest changes that is actually needed.

Ciggofwar

Home of Titan Guard
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I played a few games where ai\'s would follow commands of patrol points quite well and perform a task of recovery and repair included aircraft to patrol and ingauge and protect again planing is the element of the the day design and functionality.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    We need an option so it rams head first into an enemy..

Schema, AI controlled nukes are needed, make it happen.

Reaction score
    I think the easiest way to do that, would be to have the core store the information about the last docking unit it was docked with, and just have it navigate back to it after a set time of idle.

But to launch the ai ships, they would either have to do it automatically, or your core would have alert levels.

or a way to group docking moduals to release them while in command.