Advanced model exporter

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This is more directed towards SMedit (which has already an exporter) as an additonal feature, but i think that also someone else might get around this.

Basic story:
    I wanted to make out-of-game renders of some ships, so i had imported (at the time when SMedit and StarMade went step-by-step with their updates) those ships in SMedit and exported them to *.obj.
    Similar thing when i tried to use those ships' models to make a mod for another game (but that's another story).​

Problem:
    While SMedit's OBJ exporter DOES work, it's algorythm makes the models almost unusable (not to mention ugly), due to the fact that it converts blocks into straight up voxel cubes, without mantaining the original block type (= shape). This would cause problems with editing the model (the voxels where editable as a whole and not singularly) and also using any kind of advanced shading and/or texturing.​

Request:
    What would be great is if someone could make an exporter dedicated only to the exterior AND/OR the interior of ships, althought problems might arise with ships with no definite distinction between interior and exterior (like open areas, floating parts, turrets and other docked entities). Another issue would be making the exporter scalable with all ship sizes (really big ships, like 200m and above), and not only small fighters or frigates.

What do you think?
    Might this be useful for other people aswell besides me?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    This is something i've wanted since i started playing over a year ago.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    This is something i've wanted since i started paying over a year ago.
    Funny that you dig this up, I can't remember this thread. I've started working on something like this. No promises, though, it currently is on hiatus again, since I've more pressing matters to attend to.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    You know what, i didn't even look at the post date lol. I guess it's better to bump this up instead of starting a new thread.

What im after is the ability to export the ship model along with interior and docked entities. I have no coding skills so i have no idea how difficult the undertaking would be.