Advanced Inventory System ideas

Reaction score
    One of the systems of this game that have been bothering me -- the Inventory system, and after playing with it for the last couple of days I came up with several ideas that would bring the inventory system in this game in line with the other game systems, and with the level of technology available in our world.

The mean features in this system are as follows. I'll go into detail on each one below.

• The existing storage mechanism is unchanged
    • Link together multiple containers
    • Automation
    • Transfer items between ships/bases

The existing storage mechanism is unchanged

This one is fairly self explanatory, the existing Plex storage blocks would be the first tier of storage, you use them just like you do today.

Link together multiple containers
    Using a similar mechanism to how other systems are designed, a 'Storage Computer' would be added to the game, this computer would link up to the ship's core or other blocks (described later).

Each storage container added to the computer would increase the number of unique stacks by an amount (*picks 10 out of thin air*), and increase the total size of each stack. If a stack exceeded that size, it would be split.

If blocks are removed (not destroyed by fighting, but removed in build mode, or with the right-click) items would automatically shift around to avoid dropping, however, if there is no space after the block is removed a warning would be presented to the player letting them know that if they continue with the delete, some of the items in the system would be dropped.

If blocks are destroyed (by enemy weapons), then the items assigned to those blocks would also be destroyed. (armor up your cargo bay!)

Multiple containers would be linked to the storage computer similar to how the AMC is linked to the weapons computer. The block that would be used is a smaller version of the current plex storage (Plex Matter-Energy Storage Module???).

Activating (R) the Storage Computer would bring up an interface that would provide a means to access items in the attached storage, as well as provide some basic management.

In this interface would be several tabs, the primary tab would be a grid of items representing what is stored in your storage system (smaller in size than the current item icons).

Another tab would have access rules. Who can have access (My faction, Everyone, Specific People , also who could transport items into this storage system. (more on that later)

A third tab could give stats on the system, tell you what it's hooked up to, how full it is, how many items have been teleported into/out of, etc.

The inventory on the storage computers linked to your core would be available in build mode.

Automation
    Instead of linking a storage computer to the ship's core, it can instead be linked to the salvage or weapons computers. When linked to the salvage computer, any item that is salvaged would be placed in the linked storage, likewise with the weapons computer, each block destroyed has a small chance of being recovered and placed in the storage system.

A factory can be linked to a storage computer for access to the inventory controlled by the computer.

It can be linked to the repair computer to provide a supply of Hull to repair the ship with, etc.

Transfer items between ships/bases:

When in flight mode, you have the option to select any storage computer on the ship, and assign it to a hot-key. This "weapon" can be aimed at another storage computer to transfer all of the items in the storage to the target storage. This gives your mining shuttle, with limited cargo space, the ability to quickly transfer it's inventory to a cargo ship that has a large amount of space, without having to putt around in astronaut mode moving items around a few stacks at a time.

Summary

Credit where it's due: My main inspiration for this idea is from a Minecraft mod called Applied Energistics (http://ae-mod.info). My point with this idea is we have all of this technology, and we are still moving items around by hand, it seems out of place, and feels like an afterthought.

Some other ideas to help make dealing with items easier. Have UI controls that let me combine separate stacks of the same item into one stack. Give me mouse or keyboard shortcuts to split stacks without having to bring up a dialog. Let me Shift-click stacks of items from one inventory to another.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yes please. I suggested somethign similar, or at least inspired by the same source, and it would be great to have the need for cargo holds and cargo ships.

To add to the discussion, I\'d like to have a notion of mass included as well.

• Items have a mass and stack size limits.
    • Players and Plex Storages cannot carry more than a certain mass.
    • Plex Storage can be linked to a ships core and salvaged/looted items will be stored in them rather than the players inventory.
    • When in build mode, the full inventory of the ship is accessible.
    • Inventory mass is taken into account for the ship\'s mass.
    • Plex Storage Inventories are taken into account when creating a blueprint (spare parts storage for ex)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Starmade/comments/1hish6/suggestion_quality_of_life_tweaks_and_balancing/