Advanced base defense systems

Reaction score
    Hey

So you probably know this, when you're in progress building a new ship and your base gets attacked. Normaly your completely fucked up, even with auto-turrets (to be honest, bobby shoots like my mum with punching-gloves xD ).
    Well...shit, 5 hours work completely destroyed and you didn't even have a chance to switch to one of your other ships to strike back. And why? Just because you weren't prepared for them.
    I know want to tell you about some systems I thought about, which can help you preparing for getting rushed and also can start counter heavy attacks so you have enough time to get to your ships and strike back!

Therefore I first have some ideas for stationary blocks (can be placed ONLY on a station or planet):

Advanced station blocks

This blocks add some possibly usefull functions to your base.

• Truster-block: This blocks if placed correctly make the station available to turn arround. You still can't move forward, but it's either really usefull with the other blocks explained below. It's not really fast and more blocks don't increase the turning speed.

EWS (early warning systems)

This systems consist of 5 different block types.

• Perimeter-radar: This block incereases the radius of the radar of all structures that are somehow linked to the station, also docked ships and turrets. It also incereases the view-distance of AI-Computers. 1 Block incereases the scan-radius by 10m (max. 100 blocks). It also scans the faction of incoming ships, but this action takes 10 seconds.
    • Faction-computer: The faction-computer lists all factions on the current server and let's you set them as friendly or enemy. Enemies are also automatically set if someone of this faction attacks one of your factions structures (ships or stations).
    • Warning-signal: This block allows you to set a warning message, that spots up on the screen of every unknown or enemy ship inside the scan-radius.
    • Optical-alert: This is a light-block that begins flashing yellow as soon as he enters the scanned-area. It changes color as soon as the radar knows the faction of the ship. Red flashing means at least one enemy is inbound. Yellow means there's no enemy, but a ship with a not declared or no faction. If just friendly ship are inbound, the flashing stops.
    • Acoustic-alert: This block is activated, as soon as an enemy is detected.

Precautions

This systems don't deal any damage, but they give unknown or enemy ships a disadvantage so they're warned and probably turn arround instead of attacking you.

• CJS (Cloack Jamming System): This system is really similar to the later explained EMP-Block, but it just uncloacks ships and doesn't drain the energy. A uncloacked ship can also instantly reactivate the cloack. The CJS is fully-automatic and fires one impulse every 5 minutes. Every block adds 5m to the radius of the impulse area.
    • RJR (Radar Jamming Ray): Similar to the radar jammer it jamms the radar of enemy ships ( jep, a jammer jamms ;) ). But this time it's more controled because you can choose the target to jam, one hit with one of this ray-blocks deactivates a ships radar for 1 second. Every additional block adds 1 more second. This system can just jam ships of an enemy faction. It's build to be controlled by a BobbyAI-block.
    • HDS (Holographical Decoy System): Creates a holographic decoy of the station it is placed on randomly arround it. The HDS-count has to be the same as the biggest dimension of the station is (p.e. if the station is 100x30x50, you have to place at least 100 HDS-blocks, if the station is 100x300x50 it has to be 300 blocks). If not the decoy will be slightly transparent.

Armed defense systems

This systems DO deal damage, and not just a little bit. They're thought to protect your factions station from a massive base-raid. It should be available to counter most big ships so a squad of medium-armed ships is enough to strike back.

• MAC (Magnetic Accelerator Cannon): Yes I know there have already been request for rail guns, but that's not what I'm thinking about. The MAC-System has 2 different blocks (without counting the weapon computer), the barrel-block and the MA-block. 1 block of the MAC consists of 1 barrel and 4 MA-blocks. So the barrel has a MA-block on every hull-side of it (I'il eplain this with pictures if someone is interested in). It is really effective if you use it with thruster-blocks because it can just fire straight on. 1 MAC-element does as much damage as 50 antimatter cannons in row. The MAC is activated by single time tapping on it's computer. Now it has to load the magnetic elements completely before it can be fired. Every additional element also adds 5 seconds to the loading time so the more damage you want to deal, the more time you'il need until you can fire it. If it's fully loaded you have to lock on a target before firing it. Firing it drains the stations energy to 0 where it stays for 1 second per element. The weapon also consumes ammo, which you'il need to buy or craft first.
    • CRL (Counter Rocket Launcher): This block launches a counter-rocket that destorys incoming enemy rockets.
    • ADA (Advanced Defense AI): ADA is a more intelligent AI that is programmed to shoot from a fixed position to moving targets. It calculates the position to shoot at over the current speed of the target and the direction it's flying. It needs manual input of projectile speed and weapon type of the attached computers. There can be only one ADA for every weapon type on one structure. It's specially designed for use with the MAC because you can also link the thrusters to the AI. Finally you can program what target it should attack first, like this you can attack big ships with the heavy weaponary while the base turrets attack small & medium fighters.
    • BOOM (Well...BOOOM!!!): Sometimes everything fails and not even the best weaponary can safe you from loosing a fight. For this unlucky situation there's still an option to prevent the enemy from salvaging your ship and maybe take him to death with you. A powerfull self-destroy core that whipes everything in your current sector (also destroys asteroids, but not shops). But to activate it you need to enter a 10 digit code into the core. After there's a 20 seconds countdown. The core doesn't explode if someone shoots at it, it just gets destroyed.

Now those are just some of my ideas. I also have more regarding ships aso. but I'il probably tell them later.

have a nice day

Reaction score
    You\'d be surprised it took me 20 minutes to write this down and nearely all ideas came into my mind while writing. I first just wanted to write about the MAC, but then *pewn* I had all those other ideas ^^

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sounds cool, it would give me something cool to do on a planet if I ever build a base.

Reaction score
    Yeah, maybe there would be more bases whit this...I currently just see ships or station-like ship, but no real station, it\'s just not usefull if you build something big that\'s so hard to protect. Currently there\'s just no advantage building a station instead of a ship.

Reaction score
    on NASS we\'ve built a giant station but the sector is protected so that people can\'t destroy it until there are proper base defenses

Reaction score
    Okay that\'s ONE way. But with those systems you just need enough credits and in like 30 minutes you have a basic station that already is able to protect itself while you\'re still working on it...that\'s a big advantage so you don\'t need to contact the server-admin for protecting you because you can do it by yourself.

I\'m sure noone would risk a fight versus such a station alone. I personally would never fight one of these, even if my faction has way more ships. This gives the starmade galaxy some limitations so you are finally able to controle huge parts of it without need to always be online.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Station is stationary. Nothing turns there!

But you could have automated drones flying around your station.

Copy+Paste drones with 3 thrusters, 2 power, 1 shield + weapon-cpu + bobby + core, 3 amc. That is sufficient as these drones almost never get hit - and if you have enough of them...

Do you play on a server with custom pirates?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yes, it is \"bump\" not \"bumb\". Only Morons write it wrong, true?

BTW: If you necro, write \"necro\" somewhere in your post, so ppls know it was intentional, not just you too lazy to look at the date.

Reaction score
    ya ya lets just say spelling isn\'t my strong suite. and yes i know it should say necro jackas* ok

lets just let it rest in peace.