Advance Build Mode Ideas

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    1. Copy/Paste
    be able to selected parts of a ship/station and copy paste it so not to waste time building the same thing over and over again.

2. Flip/Mirror
    in conjunction with copy/paste, the ability to change the facing of multiple selected blocks!

3. Select/Replace
    Be able to replace all "gray hull: with "hardend black hull" would be very nice.

4. Projectile spawn
    Be able to select from a multiblock weapon were the projectile/beam comes out of.(Would also be nice if you had the option to make a larger projectile come out of multiple blocks ex: 1x4 1x9 16x16 ect.)

5. Relocate Core
    Somtimes you want the shipcore to be in a diffrent spot but dont want to rebuild the ship to acomidate.

6. Expand/Shrink(scale)
    Multiplys selection either by 1x2, 2x2, .5/.5, ect So you can take ships and make them smaller or bigger so you can take a fighter or small frigate, and scale it up to a battleship!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Oh forgot 1 more

6. Expand/Shrink(scale)
    Multiplys selection either by 1x2, 2x2, .5/.5, ect So you can take ships and make them smaller or bigger so you can take a fighter or small frigate, and scale it up to a battleship!

Reaction score
    Wouldn\'t work too well. You want extra weapons computers, or clustered docking ports?

Other than that, yes, +1.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    A checkbox that allows you to keep some/all Advanced Build Mode settings while switching/creating new ships.

For example when I leave one ship and create a new one, if I want to have the same 10x10 panel (say I\'m building 1 ship and I want to go over and build another, or my station, whatever) for placement purposes - I can click 20 times or so to set it again, but...

Meh.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well its better fixing all the weapon computers than building an entire ship

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you put all 3 symmetry planes on, you could build one quarter of the thing and the rest would complete itself...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Self explanatory. I can\'t count how many times one would have been useful when doing 10x10x10 chunks...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    ...an option to keep the advances build menu out. It\'d be nice not having to hold down the assigned button the entire time.

Oh, and weapon output can already be set, but not in build mode. One must, in astronaut mode, find the end of the weapon they wish for the projectiles to fire from, and press \'E\' to assign it as the output.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Let\'s look at each of these in order:

Copy/Paste: This would be kind of nice, but there\'s a lot that would need to be done with the building interface first to allow for it. Namely, the game first needs a method of making selections to areas of blocks.

Flip/Mirror: While nice, I think there\'s some kind of exploit to be had here. Like, someone could keep the left side of their ship facing the enemy at all times, and just keep flipping a copy of the right side to essentially be invinsible. In fact, this could be done with the copy/paste as well, so there needs to be some sort of restriction that keeps things from happening in combat.

Select/Replace: Yes. Just yes. There might be some exploit here, but I\'m not sure, and I\'d love to be able to upgrade the hull of my ships without completely rebuilding, or to paint sections without removing and replacing blocks.

Projectile Spawn: I think this is already supposed to be a feature, sort of, because you can choose which block the Antimatter Cannon comes out of. This just needs to be fixed to include all weapons. Being able to make a large laser come out of multiple blocks would be interesting, but might cause issues with gigantic lasers, or with people trying to make one weapon shoot out of two separate spots.

Relocate Core: Another issue that I really wish could be fixed. I usually don\'t have a clear idea of where my bridge is going to go when I start a ship, so it\'s hard to plan ahead for it. It would be nice if the game could support free-floating entities without them needing to have a core, so that you could remove the core (at which point the ship stops being a ship and just turns into a derelict chunk of blocks floating in space) and then put it down somewhere else to reactivate all the systems. This might also work as a way of renaming ships, allowing you to take the core out and put it back in to effectively make a new ship with a new name. The biggest problem with this is that the current system exists to prevent people from sneaking in and just taking the core out to render a ship dead in space or just destroy the whole thing at once. There needs to be some protection in place to stop enemies from taking advantage.

Expand/Shrink: This just wouldn\'t really work. Doubling the size of a ship would turn each block into a 2x2x2 cube of blocks, and the result would be extremely blocky and have way too many system blocks (cubes of weapon computers, cockpits, etc). Shrinking down would be even worse, because you can\'t really shrink a single block into anything. The result would be some pathetic clump of randomly chosen blocks in the general shape of the original.

Reaction score
    about relocate core:

why not just have a thing where when you place another core down (in build mode) if your in the right faction you put the core down, it asked if you want to replace the core, you says yes, and then asks if you want to rename the ship, yes or no. With that way you said Travesty People could take the core out, make a faction home and have an invincable ship over night. Then come back and put the core back and fly your \"home\" away, or people could make their stations move.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You wouldn\'t be able to move a station, because those are already a specific type of entity and wouldn\'t allow the placement of a core block, but I get what you\'re saying with faction invincibility. In that case, yes, the best solution I can think of is that you can\'t remove a ship core, and can only move it by trying to place a new one. Right now, if you try to place a ship core in build mode you get an error along the lines of \"You cannot place another ship core,\" and this should be changed to instead say \"Would you like to move the ship core to this position? Yes/No.\" Since this might create some issues (since you are currently IN the ship core while in build mode), it might also have a sentence at the end of \"Moving the ship core will exit you from the ship.\"

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i like to have multiple builder on one ship/station (in build-mode). is that possible or in any other suggestion?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Another idea, that would render most if not all the exploits away, would be hologram designing.
    There can be a blueprint item that you can edit. it would place a holographic view of the ship that only you and possibly friends u want to help you with can see with maybe a designing table block of some sort.
    Then when your done you can put the blueprint item into a builder computer block, witch would be connected to builders that possibly shoot beams. and it would build the ship like that. This would create the need for spaceports as well.

Ill make another thread about it.

Reaction score
    Well those ideas are good and all but what about rotating blocks? What would be useful is instead of cycling through a random list of rotations have 3 buttons, each rotates the block clockwise on the respective axis. making placing wedges 10x faster at the cost of adding only 1 button to the current system.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Broke my record for the bigest ship i have made, more than tripled the last record. Making plasma cannons and efficent power is very time comsuming, the copy and paste option is amazing.

Also the relocate core, after completing my previous ship i realized the core was no where close to where i wanted it... It would be great if i could move it.