Administrative Ranks

Reaction score
    The current administrative system is incredibly flawed; you're either an admin, or you're not. Having someone become a admin means they also have access to every command a server owner does; including the ability to make others admins.

I suggest we have a config file that creates "ranks" and limits certain commands to certain ranks.

For example:
    Moderator:
    Can_Kick
    Can_Ban
    Can_TP
    Can_Search
    Can_Unban

As you can see in the above, a moderator can kick, ban, search, and teleport, but not much else. Every command has a different permission; and if not added, defaults to "False".

You can edit a player's rank with /setrank <player> <rank>.

I'd also add a few new permissions:
    Show_Rank: This rank's name appears along with the player's name when they chat. (In case you're worried about people lying about being administrators; or you just want to show off).

Create_Faction: This player can create a faction. For servers who want to limit the number factions or stop 1-man factions but don't want to police the faction hub every day. (Make a faction leader rank separate from a the regular player's rank with this permission, and then /setrank the person once they have enough willing members or create the faction yourself and transfer leadership).

Admin_Blueprint: To edit the blueprints on the server.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I recommend using a number as a rank, and every command has the number representing the minimum required rank. That way also normal players can be given access to the search function.

Reaction score
    That's a good suggestion, but I prefer this way; in case server administrators want to create "in-between" ranks for whatever reason. Like if the we want a "Pirate Commander" rank to have /initiate_wave so they can "Spice things up" but don't want their moderator group to have said power.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    In that case, each command should have a collection of numbers, representing the ranks, that can use it, OR a single number, representing the minimum rank.

Reaction score
    Having a minimum rank would ruin the scenario mentioned before. Moderators would have access to the initiate_wave command because their rank would have to be higher since they also need to have access to ban/kick (Which is obviously higher than the minimum rank for /initiate_wave).

Unless you mean like bundled permissions?

For example:
    Can_Faction_Edit: includes /faction_create, /faction_delete, /faction_mod_member, etc.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Another bump, another repost after rollback.

I find it fascinating that this matter hasn't been discussed thoroughly thus far. As War Dog stated, the current permission system is severely broken -- and especially flawed for build servers where you'd want people to be creative, but not powerful. Not all builders should be able to kick, but alas, it's the only way for them to have access to /give. That other voxel game needed a mod for this last I checked, why should we?

It would solve a fair number of problems if we could at least have a few preset groups to assign to users, for which I suggest as follows:

Builder:
    - teleport (including /change_sector)
    - give
    - save
    - load

Moderator:
    - all of the above
    - kick
    - temporary ban
    - search (possibly for [advanced] builders as well?)
    - /destroy_entity
    - can assign Builders

Adminstrator:
    - all of the above
    - change sector properties
    - export sectors
    - permanent ban
    - some debug features
    - can assign Moderators

Owner:
    - execute ALL the commands!

These are mere suggestions, of course, and various commands are excluded intentionally for simplicity's sake.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    @War Dog You can use the DSTS Starmade Daemon to accomplish much the same thing.
    It goes from Ensign to Admiral and also has Admin.