Additive velocity option doesn't apply to missiles (neither does the velocity multiplier)

Reaction score
    Both of these server options have no effect on missles. A seperate config option for missiles would be much appreciated.

Additionally i'd suggest maybe also the option for a range multiplier.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    No one cares

outside reply: so this is how you change AMC velocity..

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Test it with d1000\'s. It works perfectly fine, it would be too op on tracking missiles

Reaction score
    I\'ve often wondered why the additive velocity thing isn\'t on by default. Should be, as far as I\'m concerned.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like additive velocity too.

But targeting is bugged. The projectiles will not hit at the center of your cross-hair (while shooting) (At the last time I tested this feature)

Do they fly further with this setting?

I would not mind if the weapons have speed and TTL (time to live) instead of speed and distance.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Example X2/X3 Reunion (it is a trading/economy simulation mostly, but you can also fight and build your own AI, but only on windows):

Missiles in this game have several different max speeds.

• Fast and weak vs fighters
    • Strong and slow or very slow turning anti-station anti-battleship missiles.

And missiles which are not as fast/agile as they have to be to catch somebody, but fast enough to bring some distance between you and a not very agile ship.

The won\'t hit at all or are really ineffective if you use the wrong type of missiles.

Some of these missiles are better vs shields and some are better vs hull. (Disruptor missiles vs shields).

They are basically normal weapons with ammunition (for money) in X3. Not good to make credits with only missiles as weapons, but good to turn the tide in some almost equal battles.

Reaction score
    \"Not all\" - I agree with all of the things you said, except this one.

(In microgravit and in a vacuum) If you go at speed X and drop a missile it will have the initial velocity X, that\'s physics. If the missile accelerates from that and your speed remains constant, it will be faster than you, period. If you happen to accelerate and your acceleration happens to be better than that of the missile, so be it.. but that really should never be the case unless you\'re in a fairly quick ship and dropping an extremely powerful/heavy warhead.

What happens right now though, is that the missile starts at a velocity of 0 which should only be the case if you\'re stationary.

I\'d like your (or X³\'s) idea of having different types of missles though. It\'d only make sense to have fast anti fighter missiles and seperate slow but strong anti capital missiles. I\'d love to be able to build proper bombers.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Some missile launchers on earth have a high accelleration after leaving the barrel and a lower one to compensate for the air resistance slowing them down.

They would especially be slower after turning (losing/fighting against their inital velocity) if used in a real vacuum (no possibility to convert +x inertia to +y or -x inertia).

But the real universe does not have a hard speed limit or linear dampening, but exponential dampening which never let you reach lightspeed.

Maybe (dunno) even light does not have the absolute maximum speed but a tiny bit below.

But I agree that additive velocity should be default.

It adds some strategy like torpedoes (dumb fire with almost zero own speed, but inherit inertia) or fighters which increase their range by flying toward the enemy and decrease the enemie\'s projectile speed by flying away faster than the enemy ship...