Read by Schine Addition to AI Targetting Options

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hmmm, wouldn't they all aim straight? Like, wouldn't you be better off just having it all on the same ship since it'd essentially do the same thing but better?

If only fleets could target neutral entities (like, just turning towards them without shooting) then it'd work. I really want working mining drones!!!
    [Disclaimer, the following statements have been made without any knowledge of coding]

However, would it be hard for the devs to include in the next patch the option for the AI to also target neutral entities?
    Just an addition to the target current target in turret AI and fleet AI if current target is neutral, also point towards it

I'm not sure that should be so hard to do, and would open up a world of possibilities for us to step up our mining game in the active sectors while we wait on the unloaded sector missions.
    The AI already targets system blocks in combat, so I don't see why "target any on this asteroid/station/etc" would be too much. Biggest issue I can see is the AIs habit of nose diving into planets.

As well something to bare in mind is just because something isn't that large of a task doesn't mean it isn't a task at all. It would still be devoting time and effort away from something else, so I wouldn't be too sure about holding out for mining AI next update.
    Basically, had a small discussion on another thread, and I would like to collate the suggestion to bring it up properly. I think that if we added the ability for turrets/Bobby AI/Fleet AI to target "neutral" entities (asteroids and planets) that could open up a lot of interesting things for us to be able to do with ships and mining.

Just the an update to the targeting system (And perhaps the ability for AI to fire a salvaging beam too) is all that's suggested.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Yea, been suggested in the past and is something I'd really like personally (the possibilities!). I'll poke the devs to make sure they remember :P

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I cannot say what specific targeting options are going to make it into the game but there is no doubt they will need to be expanded upon in order to consider it finished.