Adding Commas to integers: From 2147483647 to 2,147,483,647

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    This ought to be self-explanatory, but I'll explain anyways. Anyone who owns a ship of any large size has a hard time reading off their stats because quite simply, there are no commas in the giant numbers. Just look at the two numbers in the title of this thread and tell me which one is easier to read. It's a subtle difference, but separating a wad of digits into manageable chunks makes it a lot easier to read, and that will collectively save the Starmade community hundreds of hours of squinting. (On a side note, 2.147 billion is exactly 2 to the 31st power - 1, the maximum size of a 32-bit signed integer in computing. The more you know...)

Stats that should have commas in them include shields, shield regen, power, power storage, number of blocks in a stack, ship mass, credits, memory taken/free/total and maybe others if anyone thinks of any more to add.

That's pretty much it. So yeah, commas.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'll be honest. This is a good idea that I've wanted to be a reality for some time. I'm a full retard when it comes to mathematical qualities, so simple commas in between the numbers would greatly help me with some of the ship-based calculations I do. Anywhere from money to numbers of blocks, this is a good idea. And it sounds simple enough to put into the game relatively easily...

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    There were numerous threads on the old forums about this. And it still rings true. We seriously need this. I haven't done a lot of coding myself (just a few text-based python games), but I don't think it would be that hard to implement.

Reaction score
    I don't understand why this isn't already implemented... It should be easy to do :)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This should be implemented ASAP. It is simple readability and not hard to implement.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    we had this topic ago.

Please with apostrophes 2'342''332 not commas. they are too easy to confuse with dots!

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Please with apostrophes 2'342''332 not commas. they are too easy to confuse with dots!
    That's an interesting idea I hadn't thought of before. Maybe make the intervening character server-configurable so the server admin can use whatever character they prefer? Most new players will not understand the numbers with apostrophes. They'll think it's some strange coordinate system until they figure it out, which could hurt the game (bad reviews, fewer new players, etc.).

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That's an interesting idea I hadn't thought of before. Maybe make the intervening character server-configurable so the server admin can use whatever character they prefer? Most new players will not understand the numbers with apostrophes. They'll think it's some strange coordinate system until they figure it out, which could hurt the game (bad reviews, fewer new players, etc.).
    So unknown?
    Always these stupid USA-peoples which try to enforce their stupid standards using two similar characters with so different purpose for something as basic as math :p
    Maybe government tries to discourage the majority of peoples from leaning math and understanding how powerful information can be? :)

I would prefer a client-side option with a sane default.

Maybe they can inherit that sane default from servers, but that would raise confusion if numbers on public server A and B are looking different :D

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    So unknown?
    Always these stupid USA-peoples which try to enforce their stupid standards using two similar characters with so different purpose for something as basic as math :p
    Maybe government tries to discourage the majority of peoples from leaning math and understanding how powerful information can be? :)

I would prefer a client-side option with a sane default.

Maybe they can inherit that sane default from servers, but that would raise confusion if numbers on public server A and B are looking different :D
    Don't forget, that dot and comma switch meaning in numbers in some countries(compared to the US)

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I was actually taught how to do this in java. Maybe I can play with it and see if I can come up with a quick method to convert between float and string......
    Hmm

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I was actually taught how to do this in java. Maybe I can play with it and see if I can come up with a quick method to convert between float and string......
    Hmm
    It is so easy I doubt the community will have to even bother with it.

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It is so easy I doubt the community will have to even bother with it.
    Since it has yet to be added, I'm gonna. Maybe I can figure out a way to mod it in ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1410205012,1410203518][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok, here's the file. The class is just for structuring, the method and imports can be relocated practically anywhere in the code.

Hoping that someone can mod this in before I give it a shot later tonight.

Attachments

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hmm
    JavaScript:
    System.out.println("Value x = "+ x +" and value y = "+ y +"!");
    System.out.printf("Value x = %i and value y = %f!", intValue, floatValue);

String.split("([0..9])[0,3]([0..9])[3,3]+").concatenate('"'); // would do the inserts
    /* EDIT: Got ninjaed :)
       Mine is easer but Mered uses the system settings of what you prefer. More intuitive for a large project.
    */

Last edited: