Add range variable to powersupply and repair beams

Reaction score
    Not considering powerdrains here due to the difference in role , this will need its own thread.

Powersupply beams are currently unused in great part due to their terrible range - if you're going to be that close to a friendly ship , you may as well dock to it. Repair beams have absolutely no reason to have their range restricted , considering they need to aim at damaged blocks specifically.

Longer range on those would allow a fleet of medium to large ships to support each other reliably , without having to bunch up and block each other's turrets.

To make things interesting , energy transfer efficiency has to go down when the target ship is far away. Large ships could still support small ones a sector away , but not vice versa.

Reaction score
    I think you\'re doing something wrong if you need a longer docking beam.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    What, so wanting to dock your cruiser to your station is something wrong?

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    http://imgur.com/a/nToG8

This ship is longer than the range of the docking beam, and is a pain to dock because of that.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    http://star-made.org/comment/79881#comment-79881

The one thing I would add to the suggestion is a maximum relative speed for docking (so no docking at 300 kph)

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It is completely relevant, and it is keeping your post on the front page.

Reaction score
    I intended to start a discussion on power supply and repair beams , which share similar support roles. They are luxuries which happen to be underused.

Docking beams are necessary to everyone and for several purposes , but extending their range arbitrarily means fighters could teleport across 1km during combat by docking to their carrier. Clearly the docking beam needs its own mechanics so that capships can dock effortlessly without creating silly situations.

And I do realize that derail serves to bump my thread , but it\'s for the wrong reason :p

Reaction score
    What the tradeoff? Every time you adjust the range variable on any other device be it cannons or missiles you need to lower the amount of damage or reload. What is preventing a fighter from making the beam the max distance?

Powersupply beams are currently unused in great part due to their terrible range

I\'d argue that power supply beams are not used because they are entirely useless. I can\'t think of one situation where giving a small amount of power to my ally would be worth disengaging the enemy