Read by Schine Accelerometer (Logic Block)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I was thinking about how to get more logic interaction to bring more life to ships. One block I would like to see is an accelerometer. This block would output a logic signal to adjacent activators in all six directions according to the direction the ship is moving. So if you are moving forward an activator directly in front of the accelerometer would go high as long as you are moving in that direction. Any other direction could be determined using logic. Forward and up together with an AND and you can know when the ship is moving up as well as forward.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I was thinking about how to get more logic interaction to bring more life to ships. One block I would like to see is an accelerometer. This block would output a logic signal to adjacent activators in all six directions according to the direction the ship is moving. So if you are moving forward an activator directly in front of the accelerometer would go high as long as you are moving in that direction. Any other direction could be determined using logic. Forward and up together with an AND and you can know when the ship is moving up as well as forward.
    How do you imagine this would work with rails?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1461194197,1461194144][/DOUBLEPOST]
    How do you imagine this would work with rails?
    Also ideas on rotational?

Reactions: jgames666

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Imagine this controlling landing gear! When you go below a certain speed (or maybe when you fly downwards with Q or Shift (or whatever the new keybind is)) your gear could flip down, once you completely stop moving the doors would open, and when you fly everything closes up for you automatically!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Imagine this controlling landing gear! When you go below a certain speed (or maybe when you fly downwards with Q or Shift (or whatever the new keybind is)) your gear could flip down, once you completely stop moving the doors would open, and when you fly everything closes up for you automatically!
    So what your saying is you want a ship that will lower landing gear in space, as well as open the doors while in space... if your saying thats for planetary use, then may God have pity on your laggy soul

Reactions: kiddan
    Reaction score
    I'm assuming this would be a system where it is a block that determines that if the ship is moving forward, anything that is linked to it that has an X cordinate greater than the block activates? Just wanted to give an idea how you could program it I guess. +1

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Also ideas on rotational?
    Im thinking rig one up on the port side of your ship and one starboard so that when you rotate clockwise the port will output a signal topside and starboard will output bottom side. Opposite true for counterclockwise.

Awesome idea Sven.

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    So what your saying is you want a ship that will lower landing gear in space, as well as open the doors while in space... if your saying thats for planetary use, then may God have pity on your laggy soul
    It would be for transport shuttles that don't primarily park in space, but rather in a station or on a planet. ;) It would also detect that you've slowed down if you dock to a rail, so planetary use isn't restricted to collision-reliant landing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    It would be for transport shuttles that don't primarily park in space, but rather in a station or on a planet. ;) It would also detect that you've slowed down if you dock to a rail, so planetary use isn't restricted to collision-reliant landing.
    I dont see how this is an advantagious feature however, maybe for display blocks, but as for a logic input, especially for nodes that activate whenever you slow down, that type of logic would need a hell of a lot of fine-tuning, not just whenever you press S or Q it will activate. if it is like that then every time you slow down or attempt to dodge a shot, your ship decides "oh hes pressing S or Q, must mean open up" then yo end up taking damage on one of the doors that recently opened

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I dont see how this is an advantagious feature however, maybe for display blocks, but as for a logic input, especially for nodes that activate whenever you slow down, that type of logic would need a hell of a lot of fine-tuning, not just whenever you press S or Q it will activate. if it is like that then every time you slow down or attempt to dodge a shot, your ship decides "oh hes pressing S or Q, must mean open up" then yo end up taking damage on one of the doors that recently opened
    True, if accelerometer worked that way. An efficient accelerometer should have settings, such as what speed the ship must move in what direction before sending a logic signal.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    True, if accelerometer worked that way. An efficient accelerometer should have settings, such as what speed the ship must move in what direction before sending a logic signal.
    Not sure how much it would be able to do in terms speed detection. Schema prefers block based solutions and you would need some kind of analog interface in order to judge how fast a ship is going, much like how Restone comparators work. I'm just not sure how we would get the same effect using Starmade logic.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Personally, I just think that the inner ship remote can do functions like that without all the extra hassle of creating a new block with different logic functions

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Not sure how much it would be able to do in terms speed detection. Schema prefers block based solutions and you would need some kind of analog interface in order to judge how fast a ship is going, much like how Restone comparators work. I'm just not sure how we would get the same effect using Starmade logic.
    Okay, rather than have the velociometer (it's not an accelerometer, it's measuring velocity) work only on adjacent blocks, instead it should work on slaved blocks. Then use proportional distance to active blocks depending on a proportion of max speed.

So say we have a line of activators 10 blocks directly in front of the velociometer, all slaved to it. The closest block would activate when the ship is going above 10% maximum speed.

Two more ideas: slave a NOT directly to the velociometer. It will activate when the ship is not moving.
    Use ORs to act as a gyroscope. If the OR is forward and above or behind and below, it activates when the ship is pitching up.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Sounds neat. It is a minor feature and I would dare say something reserved for the modders when the time comes. Still, we will have more logic eventually. Just not sure what we will need as opposed to what we don't just yet.

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer