About the new textures (11/2/15)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The most recent update has changed the hull textures of what i'm pretty sure is all hull types. The new textures are the same 4x4 squares repeating over and over which gives the appearance of cheap carpet.

I was wondering if kupu could explain these changes.

Reactions: TartarusMkII

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    For the record, they look like this:

...At higher resolution. I think Kupu just did not foresee the awkwardness at lower res :\

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    For the record, they look like this:

...At higher resolution. I think Kupu just did not foresee the awkwardness at lower res :\
    damn, gotta admit that looks pretty good, if only it looked like that at lower resolutions...

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I think Kupu just did not foresee the awkwardness at lower res :\
    Pretty much... The reason this specific texture looks different now is some of the "noise" and scratches had been remove to tile a little cleaner over distance (In higher res packs).

Standard hull is pretty awkward. No seams between blocks, no large pattern to avoid nasty blotchy tiling over distances.... so a small detail pattern is used. When scaled down it does look like fabric. It might be time to create hulls specifically per resolution or completely change Standard Hulls.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Pretty much... The reason this specific texture looks different now is some of the "noise" and scratches had been remove to tile a little cleaner over distance (In higher res packs).

Standard hull is pretty awkward. No seams between blocks, no large pattern to avoid nasty blotchy tiling over distances.... so a small detail pattern is used. When scaled down it does look like fabric. It might be time to create hulls specifically per resolution or completely change Standard Hulls.
    Thank you for getting back to me on that!

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8

Please don't completely change standard hulls... Having a smooth hull type is great; just fix the awkward squares on lower-res versions of the texture. The problem I'd been having in this game all the way up 'till the default textures was the lack of smooth, non-plated material...

Last edited:

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    if you're using a low resolution pack, why not use pixel? It wouldn't run into this issue afaik

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hey, cheap carpet is EXACTLY what I use it for!

Brown Standard Armor = Best berber in the galaxy!

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    why are you not using the high res pack? I tested it a while back on my potato laptop,I cant detect any performace issues ,they both run the same

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Because my PC is like 1/4 of a potato, also it is moldy.
    Bumping it up to max gives me memory errors no matter what i do.

I don't understand why they changed the textures if the old ones looked good regardless of the resolution.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    I use standard hull for carpet and fabric as well. Please don't change it too drastically! It has it's uses!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    ditto that - the std hull as a smooth surface is good to have in-game.

Developers need to just create a consistent texture and block system, and allow us the players and server managers to create and easily maintain our own custom textures and blocks without having to worry about each new patch breaking the game.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Developers need to just create a consistent texture and block system, and allow us the players and server managers to create and easily maintain our own custom textures and blocks without having to worry about each new patch breaking the game.
    What do you mean? The current texture system is already fairly simple, with the game still loading if it adds a new block and the pack doesn't have a texture for it yet, due to the nature of our texture sheets. All a texture maker has to do to support a new block is put a new texture in for the new block

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Grey / default blocks for missing textures are fine - nothing wrong with that. The problem is we can't count on a consistent range of blockIDs being kept open for custom textures/blocks. Another problem of course is currently the game is crashing with custom blocks. The attempt at having the launcher download custom block packs from servers was maybe well-intended, but not successfully implemented. It hasn't worked for long enough that the devs should have either fixed it or taken it out. At this point, it's best to just let us players handle making and installing and distributing our own textures and blocks. I don't think new/different textures should be a priority for Schine devs right now.

When players customize or mod, and are then frustrated by spending more time re-tweaking their files after updates than playing the game, they just quit playing, or downgrade and go offline. I've heard this dozens of times as players rage-quit after updates.

...and poor plusnine, he wen't probably farther than anyone ever has into making really nice custom blocks and textures, and despite some support from kupu, he eventually became absolutely frustrated and stopped. I'm not sure he even plays offline anymore. It's sad. I was on teamspeak with him and others quite often to witness his frustration while he was making (and re-making after updates broke it) his pack.

But back to the topic standard hull, and "new textures"... standard hull could even be accomplished with 1x1 textures, and they're great the way they are now as a seamless, solid color. It's quite useful in designs. Again - new / different hulls should not be a developer priority right now, imo. Core elements of gameplay have been missing for 1-2 years or more. We need that before we need "new shinies".