Ability to substitute blocks for repairs

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If a design has missing blocks and needs repairs, we could tell a shipyard (or support ship) to repair the ship with any block of equivalent purpose... for example, if a purple ship has a bunch of holes in it but the shipyard (or repair ship) only has grey armor, you could check a box or something so the ship still gets repaired, just with grey instead.

Would make repair ships much easier to managed, logistically, once the resource requirements hit, as well as shipyards...... would also result in ships gaining battle scars instead of looking pristine all the time. :catsmile:

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I think they should have two tick boxes for the repair function.
    Ignore: ☑ Hardness ☑ Colour
    Ticking only hardness make the shipyard repair the block regardless of adv, stand, basic but colour specific. Ticking only colour replaces the block with the right hardness but any colour. Ticking both just replaces block type so any armor for any armor, any light block colour for any colour etc.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I think it would be nicer if we just got rid of paints and selected hull color similarly to shape, and then the shipyard could just use whatever color to fill in. Less hassle, and right now paints don't really make the game any more fun.

Reactions: aceface
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I think it would be nicer if we just got rid of paints and selected hull color similarly to shape, and then the shipyard could just use whatever color to fill in. Less hassle, and right now paints don't really make the game any more fun.
    this I can agree with, just say the shipyard has a laser printer or something haha.
    but on the other hand feels a bit cheaty.

Reaction score
    this I can agree with, just say the shipyard has a laser printer or something haha.
    but on the other hand feels a bit cheaty.
    It's a space game where nothing ever breaks and engines magically fire any direction from inside the ship, I think we can stomach being able to easily change the color of things.

Reactions: davedumas0
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    It's a space game where nothing ever breaks and engines magically fire any direction from inside the ship, I think we can stomach being able to easily change the color of things.
    Yeah I know it'll be really nice if things were that way. In my opinion though this is borderline to making it too easy. I could see this also being an issue economic wise. Certain colours will exist in certain places with the universe update and no colours means that this aspect of uniqueness of certain systems will be gone.

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Meh... I dont think picking colors should be what makes Starmade easy or difficult.

AND

If you want a pink ship with purple polkadots you'll still need to acquire those materials. I'm just suggesting that something be implemented to alleviate the logistics of battlefield repairs... once that's a thing, and shipyards -->IF<-- the user decides that those pink blocks just arent worth it.... though, on a separate note, I would like to see paint be a single generic item, but the consensuses seems to be that RGB would just be too demanding.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think they should have two tick boxes for the repair function.
    Ignore: ☑ Hardness ☑ Colour
    Ticking only hardness make the shipyard repair the block regardless of adv, stand, basic but colour specific. Ticking only colour replaces the block with the right hardness but any colour. Ticking both just replaces block type so any armor for any armor, any light block colour for any colour etc.
    This suggestion assumes the repair of armor only. The OP suggestion would handle things like replacing one weapon system with another or replacing decorative plants with stone. Not that decorative blocks are particularly important, but this suggestion goes beyond just armor and suggests a way to repair any block that doesn't have resources available. With that said, your suggestion would be a good addition for repairing armor. On the other hand, if the shipyard only had pink armor available, I'd rather go without armor and leave the checkboxes unchecked....

Reactions: JNC