Ability to make asteroid bases

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    SmilingDemon 's really cool looking asteroid base got me thinking about making a base on an asteroid. However that is not possible.

It would be cool if there was a setting with the faction module "convert to station" to make the asteroid static, and in the process making it a base. You would then be able to place all the station elements on it. And even make it your homebase.

Reaction score
    It was the first thing I tried to do.
    "W0oah, I'm in space, I'm gonna build an asteroid station!"

Oh lord, the disappointment...

It's okay if it comes with a, yeah, even a high prize. It really feels wrong to make your own asteroid on your station.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The irony of this post was that a friend and I were thinking about creating an asteroid station and asteroid-shaped sentries to hide in.... until we remembered that they would all show up on normal navigation ^^;

Maybe if they implemented larger asteroids this could be a thing, but I really don't see a reason why this is necessary....

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The irony of this post was that a friend and I were thinking about creating an asteroid station and asteroid-shaped sentries to hide in.... until we remembered that they would all show up on normal navigation ^^;

Maybe if they implemented larger asteroids this could be a thing, but I really don't see a reason why this is necessary....
    some asteroids are big enough to have a base on, and almost all of them are big enough for a temporary base of a small faction. then of course when they get lots of items etc then they could either expand on the asteroid or make a bigger base, but its just a thing that to me seems like it should be there, because why can't i live on a damn asteroid!?

Reaction score
    Why?

I'll give you a couple of reasons:

Everything from this
    1: link

To this
    2: link

Oh, and if it comes with a prize, we will avoid build block mining, which seems to be the greatest current reason we can't make stations on asteroids.

Or else the build block would just not return asteroid materials, just like the planets resources.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I to have wanted to build asteroid bases/ships many times. Why this isnt in game right now is beyond me. If someone could tell me why this is a bad idea, please do so.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I remember talking with Calbiri about this on chat months ago. He said he'd talk to schema about adding build blocks to asteroids now that you can't get ores from them.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Why?

I'll give you a couple of reasons:

Everything from this
    1: link

To this
    2: link

Oh, and if it comes with a prize, we will avoid build block mining, which seems to be the greatest current reason we can't make stations on asteroids.

Or else the build block would just not return asteroid materials, just like the planets resources.
    Yeah, since build block mining has been fixed/removed there's no reason we can't put a build block on an asteroid now. It doesn't even need to become a station, TBH. Just stick a shield on it so someone doesn't mine it, and you've got yourself an asteroid base. Planets are natural bodies and you can build bases on them. The same should go for asteroids.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I've attempted to faction block/build block asteroids a few times over the last year thinking maybe they had finally added it in :) I would definitely love this!

Reaction score
    This is something that Schema has confirmed in the past, I haven't asked him what it entails (what challenges exist in coding it) but at least he has stated that it is something he wants and feels is possible. Making them at least buildable on (without converting them to stations) should be something we can do very soon though, as mentioned above, with the fix to the build block and mining, there is no longer an exploit involved. So at least building on the asteroids, if not factioning them or converting them to ships or stations.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    yeah the concept of using asteroids as a ship by adding drives to them - or making a station out of them has appealed to me

being able to move them and hook them together for a asteroid network of tunnels between them would be fun and use as a ship would also be cool

not to mention smaller player housing - those people who don't want/need a full station but don't like or just can not get near a planets surface

the new rail system seems almost made for this as you could add a rail dock to it lock a tug ship onto this and push it into a waiting station with salvage beams to cut it up or to move them to be used as building material - or if collision damage is on a weapon of war launching them as massive bombs (of course the engines would draw fire from the new turrets)