Ability to disable Planets in the Server Config.

Poll.

• Judge, you are brilliant and deserve many awards

Votes: 2 28.6%
    • Judge, go home, you're drunk.

Votes: 3 42.9%
    • This has already been done filthy casual, go to your trash can.

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Donald Trump has legitimate opinions.

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

The Judge

Kill me please
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Basically what the title says.
    Planets cause a large amount of lag, even for the most powerful of servers, and this has lead to servers discouraging Planet Bases and Planet Mining. Then, essentially you have lag machines for no reason whatsoever. I'm not saying removing planets entirely, but just making them an option for large servers like GenXnova and Shattered Skies.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1439852781,1439850306][/DOUBLEPOST]I guess this isn't worth anyone's time.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    here's my suggestion instead of ignoring it, why not FIX THE FUCKING LAG, instead of pretending it doesn't exist?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    No, planets should remain. What should be disabled by default is planet mining. If you want to mine a planet, go walk around as an astronaut.

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    No, planets should remain.
    Read the OP again. It doesn't state anywhere that planets shall be removed. It doesn't even state whether planets are turned off by default. And even if they would be turned off by default you could turn them on easily.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Read the OP again. It doesn't state anywhere that planets shall be removed. It doesn't even state whether planets are turned off by default. And even if they would be turned off by default you could turn them on easily.
    Oh I read it. I disagree that there should be a server option to disable planets, period-- that would kill a major aspect of the game.

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Oh I read it. I disagree that there should be a server option to disable planets, period-- that would kill a major aspect of the game.
    So you want to remove the possibility to turn off shops because they ar a major part of the game which causes far less lag as far as I know...

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The mechanics that load chunks of planets need to be re-written. The abhorrent inefficiency of loading an entire planet into RAM at once is to blame for the lag. Planets as they are now are likely only a vague and very, very crappy conceptual shadow of what they will be when the game is finished.

For now, yeah, I guess you could add an option to disable them. It wouldn't hurt. It's kind of dumb though. You could just reduce the size of planets in the configs so that they all spawn around 30-50 radius. Those don't lag unless your server is running out of a dumpster. They're about like some people's space stations.