AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!Space Engeneers have better planets!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I actually like StarMade's planets. They're unique, and they're very appealing to the Minecraft crowd which would be lost if it used Space Engineer-style non-grid worlds. Only things needed are a better terrain generator, performance/rendering improvements so we can have much larger planets, and core size and plate depth which can vary between planets.
    And oceans :D

serge1944

Grand Admiral of The Infection Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Great,so people want space engineer planets or not :(.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    Great,so people want space engineer planets or not :(.
    You're acting like everyone has one singular opinion, which Isn't true. I'm sure some people like the current planets, I'm sure some do not. I for one, would appreciate more realistic planets that didn't look like they came out of a bag of skittles, but what I want is highly different from what others want. I think that the current planets could be much improved by more realistic planet terrain, vastly increasing size, reducing the number of planets that appear greatly, and making planets overall more fun to explore.

While I don't think that oversimplifying the problem to "turning them into space engineers planets" is anywhere near an answer, I agree that planets need another overhaul. I want planets that ACTUALLY look like planets in the galaxy.

Just give me a planet that ACTUALLY looks like mars and I'll be happy.

This,

Looks nothing like this:

This, is as close as you can get currently

We have the blocks and we have great developers, I think that we just need larger planets and more realistic terrain.

Reactions: Pacific_Jim
    Reaction score
    Terrain generation is my biggest criticism with Starmades planets to be honest (other than a lack of stuff on them, but that's being worked on).

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I increased planet radius in the server config file (located in the starmade folder). This specific planet was 1000r (so 1000m radius). Be careful though, planets are pretty heavy on GPU and CPU usage (for the initial generation), so don't increase the radius to more than your computer can handle.
    Hey thanks..

I just tried it and it makes a HUGE difference. I still would love to see round planets one day but having a planet that is 1000m turns Starmade into a totally different game. I think the devs should consider making 2000m planets and optimize them.

Reaction score
    Hey thanks..

I just tried it and it makes a HUGE difference. I still would love to see round planets one day but having a planet that is 1000m turns Starmade into a totally different game. I think the devs should consider making 2000m planets and optimize them.
    Dear lord... How did you get the millions of blocks to reder and not crash in the first frame?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Dear lord... How did you get the millions of blocks to reder and not crash in the first frame?
    Simple, you don't; that would be silly. Render the ones nearby; anything further away either gets culled out entirely (if it's underground) or you kinda cut it down a little to large blocks that represent the average elevation of a larger area (say, a chunk) unless the chunk in question has been modified to a certain extent by players. That way you can see the big awesome cities from far away, but your GPU won't get bogged down drawing up caves and little hills that you don't even see, or care to see.

Reaction score
    SIDENOTE: I never understood why they didn't go for 12, or even 20 sided planets.

I can easily see 12 sided ones looking a little better than what we have, because the angles involved aren't as acute.

a 20 sider wouldn't have as much room per individual plate, but it's certainly look even better from orbit, as it'd seem MUCH more round than the 10 siders we have now.
    For posterity: We already have dodecahedra. Meaning twelve faces, in other words "see how easy it is to imagine something?" - a 12 sided one wouldn't look better than a what we have now because it is exactly the same.
    And the reason for, or rather against, icosahedra is exactly what you have stated and others have confirmed - less area per plate, and more frequent orientation changes, with only a marginal increase in "roundness".
    Please forgive me if I seem to be on a smart ass roll today.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    did you guys see who are the new devs,one in particular :p
    someone who you guys might be interested in, here in this thread

Reaction score
    Simple, you don't; that would be silly. Render the ones nearby; anything further away either gets culled out entirely (if it's underground) or you kinda cut it down a little to large blocks that represent the average elevation of a larger area (say, a chunk) unless the chunk in question has been modified to a certain extent by players. That way you can see the big awesome cities from far away, but your GPU won't get bogged down drawing up caves and little hills that you don't even see, or care to see.
    Do you have a mod for that? As far as I know starmade has no redering tricks like that.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    No, but somebody was asking how to deal with safely scaling the game up to 2000-radius default planets. There's your solution :p

Reaction score
    No, but somebody was asking how to deal with safely scaling the game up to 2000-radius default planets. There's your solution :p
    Thats the real good idea. Starting with full plates, to(depending on planet size) fiths of plates, then step down a ladder of squares (2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,ect.) until you get to individual blocks when within 100(?) meters.