A Wiki editor is asking you! Now 100% more dormant!

Reaction score
    Hi all,
    I am, and have been for a little while, a wiki editor- several pages, mainly about docking, have my hand on. I see sometimes people saying that they want x to know about but nothing else- here, I ask you to contribute your questions and answers so that I (and other users(and maybe, you? Read on) can fill in the gaps for a better wiki.
    I will edit this so that questions that have been asked and or answered can be seen before asking. I will probably direct you to the appropriate wiki page if it has been done.
    Ask away, and answer others!

Reactions: Top 4ce
    Reaction score
    All be it that the wiki I monitored is unofficial, i think the information there is of a decent quality to suggest to those who want to know something in the interlude of the transfer of official wikis

Reaction score
    Excellent! I'm glad to see there are some plans to update the wiki. I'd like to contribute myself if you guys need the help - is there any particular section you guys have been working on that I should avoid, or does the whole thing need an overhaul at this point?

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Excellent! I'm glad to see there are some plans to update the wiki. I'd like to contribute myself if you guys need the help - is there any particular section you guys have been working on that I should avoid, or does the whole thing need an overhaul at this point?
    All of it is being redone pretty much, users like yourself will be updating content (hopefully). We will be working on updating the software and redoing the entire design. We need to get the wiki up to date, and complete with all important information.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I can't even figure out how to edit anything on here. http://wiki.star-made.org/Special:AllPages

I'm not a major wiki-editing person, but I would like to contribute a little here and there.
    There have been no changes to the main page in the past 12 months. I think this Wiki is locked. A quote from the footer: "This page was last modified on 14 August 2013, at 08:01."

I will gladly contribute with what I know when possible.

Edit: If you can add this to the Wiki:
    Current Map: (Will be changed soon) With the default control binding be accessed by pressing "P" and then pressing the Left Shift button. The map should then appear.

Tips for map usage: Other objects in game are typically rendered on top of the map, which can hide parts of the map. Therefore, it is highly advisable that you access the map only from an absolute stand-still (to avoid your ship from drifting into view in front of the map) and pointed away from other objects like asteroids, ships, and stations, so that they do not obscure the map.

You can press "P" a second time to return to normal viewing.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Um... Some suggestions:

1) Put a link to the official wiki on the official web site! Very few people (including me) realised that it actually exists.

2) This says a lot: http://wiki.star-made.org/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&days=500&from=&limit=50. Note that I had to mess with the URL a little just to get it to display anything at all (the last 30 days? Heh). Given that nothing has changed on that wiki for an entire year, and virtually everything in the game has changed in that year, it's safe to say that it's impossible for that wiki to contain any useful information whatsoever and therefore that version of the official wiki is officially dead.

3) Do not make the mistake that Minecraft did. If I need to "alt+tab" away from the game's window and connect my laptop to the internet and fire up a browser and google for the wiki and get the wrong link and backtrack to get the right wiki and wait for several web pages to load and then try to find the information in that wiki and hope the information isn't out of date; just to find out very basic information (like where to find a certain ore); then... People need an in-game help system that (at a minimum) contains information on the different types of blocks and their usage, and explains how various things (thrust, turn rate, power and shields, weapon systems, etc) work. A wiki is not a substitute for an in-game help system; and anyone that thinks it is can kiss my salty hairy "elbow".

4) Some information can be "scraped" directly from the game's files (for both the in-game help system and the wiki) - things like block types, block attributes, crafting recipes, etc. This should be done wherever possible as it avoids having obsolete information and also reduces manual labour.

Reaction score
    Um... Some suggestions:

1) Put a link to the official wiki on the official web site! Very few people (including me) realised that it actually exists.

2) This says a lot: http://wiki.star-made.org/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&days=500&from=&limit=50. Note that I had to mess with the URL a little just to get it to display anything at all (the last 30 days? Heh). Given that nothing has changed on that wiki for an entire year, and virtually everything in the game has changed in that year, it's safe to say that it's impossible for that wiki to contain any useful information whatsoever and therefore that version of the official wiki is officially dead.

3) Do not make the mistake that Minecraft did. If I need to "alt+tab" away from the game's window and connect my laptop to the internet and fire up a browser and google for the wiki and get the wrong link and backtrack to get the right wiki and wait for several web pages to load and then try to find the information in that wiki and hope the information isn't out of date; just to find out very basic information (like where to find a certain ore); then... People need an in-game help system that (at a minimum) contains information on the different types of blocks and their usage, and explains how various things (thrust, turn rate, power and shields, weapon systems, etc) work. A wiki is not a substitute for an in-game help system; and anyone that thinks it is can kiss my salty hairy "elbow".

4) Some information can be "scraped" directly from the game's files (for both the in-game help system and the wiki) - things like block types, block attributes, crafting recipes, etc. This should be done wherever possible as it avoids having obsolete information and also reduces manual labour.
    You should read the thread again. Where's the point in opening a feature-incomplete wiki up to the public?

Reaction score
    You should read the thread again. Where's the point in opening a feature-incomplete wiki up to the public?
    I'm not sure if you know what a wiki is and how it differs from normal web pages; but the central idea behind them is to allow everyone (including the general public) to add to the content and modify/improve the content.

The point in opening a feature-incomplete wiki up to the public is so that the public can make it feature-complete.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I'm not sure if you know what a wiki is and how it differs from normal web pages; but the central idea behind them is to allow everyone (including the general public) to add to the content and modify/improve the content.

The point in opening a feature-incomplete wiki up to the public is so that the public can make it feature-complete.
    The main features, authentication and skins are not up to the public, as well as wiki templates. That, would be a major security issue if they were.

If these features were done, then yes, it would be available to the public. As they are not done, @der_scheme is right.

It's my #1 priority :)

Reactions: Valiant70
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I want to know about the logic and how to make logic repeat and how to make crusades space elevator