A way to tell if a ship is more powerful

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    My suggestion is a way to tell if a ship is more powerful/bigger than yours. Just a short while ago I was flying towards a shop, pirate ship popped on navigation and I investigate. I died 3 seconds after I made visual contact. My ship was pretty small but how was I suppose to tell if the pirate ship was way more powerful than mine.

Thoughts:

- When a ship is targeted via navigation window some sort of picture or diemensions (by block size) of that ship.

- Categorize ships by block size, 10 by 10 could be consider a tiny ship, 50 by 50 could be a medium ship, 100 by 100 could be a large ship, etc so when you have that ship targeted it will say near the name that it is a small ship or a large ship.

I will update when/if I get more ideas.

Thanks.

Reaction score
    A new block, scanners, would be placed on ships to

• increase the radar area
    • dimensions of ships
    • if powerful enough, highlight or identify ship systems (power, shields, etc.)

It goes in conjunction with Mr Nature72\'s post. http://star-made.org/content/comprehensive-starmade-suggestion

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    - Categorize ships by block size, 10 by 10 could be consider a tiny ship, 50 by 50 could be a medium ship, 100 by 100 could be a large ship, etc so when you have that ship targeted it will say near the name that it is a small ship or a large ship.

The idea is good, but this is something I don\'t like.

Ship strength are determined by number of installed systems (= volume no hull) and efficiency (= length of power gens, number of AMCs, sqrt(number) shields)

And 10 to 50 is a factor of 5!!! The enemy can be 4 times more powerfull and it does not tell you...

Also some people may start to build scary looking ships which are basically just 8 blocks at very far away collision-box-corners and a small cute baby ship in the middle.

I would like scanners to show the weight.

Reaction score
    Sensor blocks would be real nice.

Sensor computer attached to sensor blocks. More sensor blocks, more layer pentration. If it doesn\'t penetrate, all the data you get is (More than)>1057 shields ( Which would be how many shields it saw before penetration stopped) and so on

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I also think mass is more appropriate when it comes to figuring out the power of ships, but i\'d be fine with anything that seems appropriate. Say we had scanner blocks, add enhancers to them if you wanted a better radar, and the better it is it could scan ships with smaller mass and obviously had bigger scan area. Or if they were close by (same sector or less) you wouldn\'t even need enhancers. Makes big ships, titans and the like, visible from a big distance, so one would have a harder time pulling off a surprise attack with a fleet of battleships. Also makes stealth ships more than just useful, it makes them absolutely necessary.
    Plus say you could make huge radar stations around your space, and have your ships have it\'s field of view... one big antenna in your base becomes extremely useful.
    Just saying, this would make starmade a lot more tactical, therefore a lot more fun in my opinion

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I guess everything that works with \"per-sector\" and has more than center+2 sectors range, will cause lag.

But there must be any solution to have radar get more distance than the 2x size of a big ship.

I would try to register the long-range radar stations not in sectors, but sun systems with some upper limit per sun system (you want to make another one? attack one of the others to reduce it\'s range or even kill it.)

My prefered limit would be 1 radar/outpost (station or planet) per 4x4x4 sectors (don\'t allow a new one close to previous one).

Players may be able to use \"access to collected information about X\" as trade ressource - \"This\" information vs \"this other\" information.