Recognized by Council A Way to Relate Jamming, Cloaking and Scanning With Modules.

Reaction score
    And burst scans take much larger amounts of power.

Detection on size could also be based on amount of view blocked in a sphere, so the ship size, distance, and profile matter.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    +1 OP, also pilots should get a warning when an active scan has gone off powerful/close enough to spot them.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Necro noted, this is a good idea. Although lag shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Detection should also have some involvement with ship movement. A shooting star flying through the battle will be detected, but a still-sitting command center might. Perhaps a multiplier, with stealth being something you want as low as possible. Scanners should also be movement-influenced, a still-sitting scanning station/ship has a better chance of detecting something than a fast moving combat vessel.

I think they should both be block based, but take a ton of power. Large ships can afford massive scanner dishes, but a small ship probably shouldn't. Scanning/cloaking power cost could also be based on movement, so if a ship stops and waits and powers down a bit it could manage a heavier scan.

Only problem is that stations would be kinda OP with this, so stations have a base loss in stealth, and a negative multiplier in scan ability.

Numbers:
    (Y is a number up to debate for balancing)
    Movement-
    Stealth/Scanning ability
    X/(1+[% of max speed]*Y)
    Power-
    X*(1+[% of max speed]*Y)
    Stealth based on size-
    X/(surface area/Y) : Y=100?
    Stealth and Scanning ability are numbers >0 that increase and decrease with added modules.
    With stations, I think that having them be decent at scanning is alright. If people start spawning stations into combat, then maybe a balance change will be necessary, but until then, I think their scan would be fine. In terms of their stealth though, I agree. Stations, despite being stationary, should be easily detectable.

In terms of power however, I think with the current meta, power would be far too easy to come by, and I think a systems ratio approach right now would be better. When reactors are changed, if they ever are, then maybe a block based solution would be better.

For stealth, I think mass should be used over surface area, exclusively for creativity and performance reasons. In terms of creativity, if someone had a really large interior and a very complex ship, that would drastically raise their surface area compared to their effectiveness, so I feel like that would be somewhat unfair. For performance though, if someone's getting ripped to shit, calculating their surface area over and over again might be a little more difficult than just keeping up with their mass.

I totally agree with movement with ships though, that's a great idea!