• I don't mind it

• I don't care

• I don't like it

• I really don't like it

• No, never, I hate it!

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    A few updates ago, there were some new features added for boarding, and while making it actually possible to board, it still isn't very practical, the main reason I found, are shields. So this got me thinking, "what would be a fun effective way to get past this problem?" And then it hit me, what if shields didn't work inside ships? So basically my idea works something like this:
    1. There would be your shield capacitors and your shield chargers, like we already do, and there'd be a shield computer, the chargers and capacitors would connect to the computer
    2. Instead of the shields protecting the whole ship, there would be X shield capacity like there is no, but you would need to connect blocks to the computer, these would be the blocks that are protected by the shield.
    3. Each block would get a percent of the shield, equal to another block, (example: you have 100 blocks connected, each block gets 1% of the shield)
    4. The shields could be connected to multiple computers, which would be effected by logic (picture having a ship, with 8 computers, 2 for the front, back and each side, however only 1 for each side is on, splitting the shields evenly, you then get attacked, and your shields are dropping rapidly from the front, but there is no one behind you, so you turn off the rear shields and turn on the second front one, doubling the shield strength in the front, where the threat is, and having your shields in the rear, -which aren't doing anything to save your ship- off)
    5. This would add more control over shields, and making the builder decide how to best protect their ships, this would also make it possible to sent a boarding party into the ship, and cause havoc, as the captain will likely have all his shields on the outer blocks, as that's where the shots are coming from.

I would love to get some opinion on this idea, and if anyone is confused about any part of this or has any questions, please by all means ask, I would be happy to answer.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    The torch already bypasses shields, and the idea is moderately interesting even though I don't think it's implementation would work well.

Reaction score
    The torch already bypasses shields, and the idea is moderately interesting even though I don't think it's implementation would work well.
    I meant to mention the torch in the post, but apparently it slipped my mind. This is also something I came up with very suddenly in the bathroom, so if it was added, its very likely that it wouldn't be exactly like I put it.

Reaction score
    I do like this idea but I feel it would make ship building too complex for some players.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    how about it isnt necessary to have the shield's computers but it is also a good idea
    [DOUBLEPOST=1449367439,1449367401][/DOUBLEPOST]it would help you to learn the basics of logic and all that kind of stuff

Reaction score
    how about it isnt necessary to have the shield's computers but it is also a good idea
    [DOUBLEPOST=1449367439,1449367401][/DOUBLEPOST]it would help you to learn the basics of logic and all that kind of stuff
    The computer was just an idea of how to make it work, if it could be done more easily without the computer, I'd be all for it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I really do not like this idea at all, i dont hate it, just dont like it. as is, logic engines, batteries, and well anything relating to logic, is optional. This would make it not so optional for any ship with shields.
    I agree with ComradeColonel on this.

now: If you had suggested additional shields like say for example, the shields from the w40k books(specifically Rynns World) where they can reinforce certain areas of a shield to take more damage, i would agree with, the ship has shields covering the whole thing, but they can pump more power into certain parts, to make it last longer.

Overshield module maybe, doubles the shielding of a specific part of the ship when activated(could be done via logic as well) Not sure how to make it work, but its a general idea.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    1. You would have
    • shield capacitors + shield chargers - as now
    • a shield computer to which chargers and capacitors will connect - new
    2. Instead of the shields protecting the whole ship, there would be Xthe same shield capacity like as now, but with protection only for blocks connected to the computer.

3. The capacity is distributed over connected blocks (example: you have 100 blocks connected, each block gets 1% of the shield)

4. The shields could be connected to multiple computers, which would be effected by logic
    • picture imagine having a ship, with 8 computers, 2 for the front, back and each side (none specifically assigned to top and bottom)
    • however only 1 for each side is on, splitting the shields evenly - 25% each side
    Then you get attacked, your shields are dropping rapidly at the front, but there is no one behind you.
    So you turn off the rear shields and turn on the second front one, doubling the shield strength in the front, where the threat is, and having your shields in the rear, -which aren't doing anything to save your ship- off)
    • Distribution 0% - 25%*2 - 50%
    5. This would add more control over shields, and making the builder decide how to best protect their ships, this would also make it possible to sent a boarding party into the ship, and cause havoc, as the captain will likely have all his shields on the outer blocks, as that's where the shots are coming from.
    It is already possible.
    You can put armour-plates as docked entities on your ship, that replaces the selection algorithm

Then these parts receive shield until the mother-ship's shields are down (basic coverage).

You can strengthen one part with passive ion-effect modules if that is still a thing, can be enabled by logic and only affects the rail-entity it is on. Wireless logic helps a lot to manage that.
    • Passive effects could draw a lot of power so you can not activate it anywhere.

You can also use shield supply beams to boost parts. (or at least you should be able to)

Reaction score
    now: If you had suggested additional shields like say for example, the shields from the w40k books(specifically Rynns World) where they can reinforce certain areas of a shield to take more damage, i would agree with, the ship has shields covering the whole thing, but they can pump more power into certain parts, to make it last longer.

Overshield module maybe, doubles the shielding of a specific part of the ship when activated(could be done via logic as well) Not sure how to make it work, but its a general idea.
    First off, thank you for your opinion, second, in retrospect, this sounds like it would work significantly better than my idea, as originally, I had been trying to find a way to make it use more power, which this covers, so again thank you for your input.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    First off, thank you for your opinion, second, in retrospect, this sounds like it would work significantly better than my idea, as originally, I had been trying to find a way to make it use more power, which this covers, so again thank you for your input.
    Gladly! But im still unsure of how it would work, i was just throwing it out there! xD

Reaction score
    Being a big fan of Macross I would love to be able to focus shields in specific spots. It's done in so many sci-fis and it's usually really cool to see. I currently simulate this with force field blocks but I'd love to see actual gameplay mechanics

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Being a big fan of Macross I would love to be able to focus shields in specific spots. It's done in so many sci-fis and it's usually really cool to see. I currently simulate this with force field blocks but I'd love to see actual gameplay mechanics
    Focus shields real-time in spots is rather point-less as it requires player-attention when an AI can handle it too (an imaginary AI).
    But focus shields at build-time is more interesting.
    One reason I see for handling it real-time is to make it worse when you have to focus on multiple vectors rather than one.
    I wouldn't implement it for that reason because it makes 2v1 situations balanced worse.
    Weapons are already stronger than shields because they can choose where to attack while shields have to be on every ship.​

Reaction score
    I wouldn't expect schine to give us something like the SDF-1's shields, but it would be cool to link logic to concentrate the shields in a specific area. That's pretty much what I do with forcefields. It allows me to put a wall between my ship and a missile lol.