A warp gate into a defensive barrier?

Reaction score
    Hi, everyone. Long time, no see. :) Anywho, I was pondering something and wondered if anybody has tried. Could you put two warpgates within one base that allow passage around a defensive barrier? For example, you have a gate within a base, like a planet or station, and around the base there is a bubble of shielding, such advanced or crystal armor, with a warpgate to the outside. Now, depending on the base, it could be a small warp gate for fighters and carriers to pass in and out, or it could be a huge gate to allow frigates and battleships inside the bubble to create a defensive force in case the barrier fell. Would this be possible?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Hi, everyone. Long time, no see. :) Anywho, I was pondering something and wondered if anybody has tried. Could you put two warpgates within one base that allow passage around a defensive barrier? For example, you have a gate within a base, like a planet or station, and around the base there is a bubble of shielding, such advanced or crystal armor, with a warpgate to the outside. Now, depending on the base, it could be a small warp gate for fighters and carriers to pass in and out, or it could be a huge gate to allow frigates and battleships inside the bubble to create a defensive force in case the barrier fell. Would this be possible?
    Sadly, no.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    But Gamma92 gave me an idea:
    • Use Huge gates to defend sector-borders with less blocks.
    • Maybe create a barrier with a tiny hole and turrets protecting the passage.
    • Energy suppliers could supply shields of a station in one sector with the shields of all others.

Reactions: Gamma92

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Going off what I heard, Warp Gates are basically just /Change_Sector commands right now, so you always exit at the same X Y Z Coordinates inside the sector.

Suggestion sounds like an overly complicated hanger door btw :u

Reaction score
    One way this could be is if ships appeared right smack dab in the middle of the warp gate on the other end... Not just somewhere in the sector that you are warping to.

Reaction score
    Going off what I heard, Warp Gates are basically just /Change_Sector commands right now, so you always exit at the same X Y Z Coordinates inside the sector.

Suggestion sounds like an overly complicated hanger door btw :u
    Yes, I agree it does sound complicated, but where as a hanger door can protect maybe at most a small frigate, a shielded planet can protect capital ships if big enough; thus, your ships would have a safe haven and the base would have a secondary defense if necessary. Also, if a blast door is left open, an enemy ship can slip in. Meanwhile, if a warp will not allow anyone outside of the faction without permission to use it, and even destroying it only just cuts off reinforcements inside of the bubble and won't allow a way inside.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    a shielded planet can protect capital ships if big enough
    Capital ships don't belong on planets, it just doesn't sound right.

Accidentally leaving a door open doesn't mean we should get an idiot-proof system to compensate (that's kinda how it sounded when you mentioned that). That actually sounds less fun from a gameplay standpoint because not only can you not destroy them (homebase protection), but you can't stop people from getting into them as well. It just sounds odd, and I can't see any use for it aside from warping ships on/off a planet.

But Warping is still in Development, eventually I'm sure it will get to the point where it can /Change_sector and /Teleport(I dunno what the command is for moving within a sector) you to the exit gate, so in a way it is coming someday.

Reaction score
    Capital ships don't belong on planets, it just doesn't sound right.

Accidentally leaving a door open doesn't mean we should get an idiot-proof system to compensate (that's kinda how it sounded when you mentioned that).
    I never said the capital ships would be on the planet, just within the planet's shielding, off world, to give a sort of symbiotic relationship, a safe haven for the ships and a defensive fleet for the planet. Also, I never meant it to sound like that. I merely suggested this from a military and realistic mindset, that a bubbled planet with only one way in for larger ships would be beneficial to military forces and the defense of the overall planet; also, since only one place can have homeworld protection (as far as I know), then that still leaves this a legitimate strategy for other worlds to use and still be attacked if enough fire power was present to break through the shielding.