A Universe with finite Power?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Following on from this post in the Frequent Suggestions Megathread:

Fuel is already possible in the game as-is, matey. Just change your config to boost power capacitors, remove or nerf reactors, and buff power supply beams. Make a few fuel stations with power supply arrays. Voila.
    I was wondering if anyone has played on a server with this config? How did it affect game-play? Did having to worry about your Power levels every time you prepared for a Hyperspace jump add tension or just frustration?

Schine have rejected the idea of fuel but was this because they want StarMade to have different character from other space-sim games? Or simply because fuel limits suck?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Luckily at this stage of the game we can mod it pretty heavily. As i said earlier, fuel is possible with block and config changes.

Yes, it is unfortunate that the devs seemed hellbent on forcing the game into a power change, but hopefully the strong community backlash against it will keep that from happening.

So, fuel has been done! Good news to fuel fans, yeah? Mushroom Fleet server tried out a fuel only server about 2 years ago, for a few months before we went to the Shogunate model/economy. It was really cool, just not popular enough to sustain... at that time.

Basically, capacitors get a huge buff to capacity. Depending on how big you want to go with that, you can get deep into tweaking the energy use of shield regen, thrust, weapons, jam, cloak, scanners, etc etc etc.

You can keep reactors in the game or delete the block... But keeping the block will allow easier import of designs and allow reactors / regen on capital ships... Which you know makes sense. You can force fighters and small ships to remove reactors and not use them by drastically reducing regen and increasing mass & cost.... But that will hurt cap ship mass & regen a lot. You can compensate for that with the capacitor buff and a thrust buff. Any thrust buff helps fighters a lot, and will lighten them and make them more efficient and thus create a trend towards smaller & cheaper fighters.

Ultimately, the goal of a fuel server will probably be managing drones as a capital/carrier pilot, or having tons of dogfight action with some capital ships in the background hammering each other while fighters & fuel management decide the battle. Sounds exciting, yeah? I'd be in.

Maybe co-op with the tiny server idea guys?

Reactions: Valck

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    In a server with this setup, reactors could be used more like solar panels; A recharger that is part of your ship, but costs an arm and a leg to buy or even create.

Centauri

Ancient Lurker & Modder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Following on from this post in the Frequent Suggestions Megathread:

I was wondering if anyone has played on a server with this config? How did it affect game-play? Did having to worry about your Power levels every time you prepared for a Hyperspace jump add tension or just frustration?

Schine have rejected the idea of fuel but was this because they want StarMade to have different character from other space-sim games? Or simply because fuel limits suck?
    Luckily at this stage of the game we can mod it pretty heavily. As i said earlier, fuel is possible with block and config changes.

Yes, it is unfortunate that the devs seemed hellbent on forcing the game into a power change, but hopefully the strong community backlash against it will keep that from happening.

So, fuel has been done! Good news to fuel fans, yeah? Mushroom Fleet server tried out a fuel only server about 2 years ago, for a few months before we went to the Shogunate model/economy. It was really cool, just not popular enough to sustain... at that time.

Basically, capacitors get a huge buff to capacity. Depending on how big you want to go with that, you can get deep into tweaking the energy use of shield regen, thrust, weapons, jam, cloak, scanners, etc etc etc.

You can keep reactors in the game or delete the block... But keeping the block will allow easier import of designs and allow reactors / regen on capital ships... Which you know makes sense. You can force fighters and small ships to remove reactors and not use them by drastically reducing regen and increasing mass & cost.... But that will hurt cap ship mass & regen a lot. You can compensate for that with the capacitor buff and a thrust buff. Any thrust buff helps fighters a lot, and will lighten them and make them more efficient and thus create a trend towards smaller & cheaper fighters.

Ultimately, the goal of a fuel server will probably be managing drones as a capital/carrier pilot, or having tons of dogfight action with some capital ships in the background hammering each other while fighters & fuel management decide the battle. Sounds exciting, yeah? I'd be in.

Maybe co-op with the tiny server idea guys?
    In a server with this setup, reactors could be used more like solar panels; A recharger that is part of your ship, but costs an arm and a leg to buy or even create.
    This idea seems interesting, and I am now testing out how it could work locally. If everything appears to work well, I could set up a small server that runs these configs if there is enough interest.

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    I don't recall but back when this was tried on MF couldn't an entity's capacitors be charged through a dock? I don't think that is possible now.

Centauri

Ancient Lurker & Modder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I don't recall but back when this was tried on MF couldn't an entity's capacitors be charged through a dock? I don't think that is possible now.
    I just tried to transfer energy through docking, and sadly, you appear to be correct, ships can not be transferred power via docking anymore. It must have been removed with docked reactors were removed

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    On CBS, there's a race track which prohibits the use of rechargers and only allows a certain amount of capacitors. There is pit stop bays with power supply beams, and all in all it works quite well.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    I just tried to transfer energy through docking, and sadly, you appear to be correct, ships can not be transferred power via docking anymore. It must have been removed with docked reactors were removed
    If memory serves there's a spot in the config to turn up and down the transfer level to docked entities from other ones. Currently it's set to 0% transfer when using power and shield beams.

Also there's a way around the docking issue by using area triggers far enough away from the station to let people charge up at a distance.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You can mod the reactor block to be station or planet only & disallow on ships.