A Suggestion for Chairs

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I have heard tell that chairs are going to be a thing. I just think I should make a quick suggestion, that chairs can be connected to the core and computers. So that when you enter the chair you enter the computer. That is all. Not sure if this is how you were gonna do this anyway but yeah.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    Alright, I want to know. Are proper, actual chairs gonna be a thing? Cause if they are and are coming along with the rail system I'll f'kn cry. Sitting is already awesome, I've taken some awesome screenshots but actual chairs would really open up a lot of RP and building potential.

Anyway, why do you think they should be connected to the core? That would mean it can't be used on stations, and also planets. If you mean chair gets hit therefore death, also no. If the chair gets hit so does the player, therefore death.

Reaction score
    I'd much rather see the computer in front of the chair be your link to the core, not the chair itself

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I'd much rather see the computer in front of the chair be your link to the core, not the chair itself
    if the chair is linked to the core then it will allow more freedom for creative bridge/cockpit designs.

what serious fleet commander wants to command his forces with a massive computer stuck in his face?

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    if the chair is linked to the core then it will allow more freedom for creative bridge/cockpit designs.

what serious fleet commander wants to command his forces with a massive computer stuck in his face?
    Trying to fly a ship and command a fleet at the same time sounds like a bad idea. Let someone else fly your flagship while you command the fleet.

Anyway, I've suggested this before: If you link a chair to a computer, you can then activate the computer with R and you will automatically sit in the chair. Simple enough. You could still sit in the chair without activating the computer if you wanted to.

Reaction score

What ship captain wants everyone in the mess hall to be messing with the core of the ship or looking out the front camera? There is most RP immersion in having a chair be a chair.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Sitting is already in the game, I see no need for a dedicated chair block. However, we should be able to link the core or whatever to a block, and then when you sit on that block, you gain control of the ship. Simple as that. Pressing "R" to exit control of the ship still has you sitting in that chair, though, so you can sit in the captain's chair without piloting the ship at the same time.

Reaction score
    Maybe there could be a "helm chair" or something that controls the ship/computer (maybe even turrets) and there also be a normal chair that you can link to whatever

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Alright, I want to know. Are proper, actual chairs gonna be a thing? Cause if they are and are coming along with the rail system I'll f'kn cry. Sitting is already awesome, I've taken some awesome screenshots but actual chairs would really open up a lot of RP and building potential.

Anyway, why do you think they should be connected to the core? That would mean it can't be used on stations, and also planets. If you mean chair gets hit therefore death, also no. If the chair gets hit so does the player, therefore death.

What ship captain wants everyone in the mess hall to be messing with the core of the ship or looking out the front camera? There is most RP immersion in having a chair be a chair.
    I don't think they should HAVE to be connected, just that they CAN be connected, and if they are sitting on the chair puts you into the computer. I think that you should be able to jut have chairs that aren't connected to anything though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Trying to fly a ship and command a fleet at the same time sounds like a bad idea.
    They're not implying that a fleet commander should be piloting at the same time (which he should if he wants to because freedom of choice), they're implying that you should be able to not disappear into a 1x1x1 block when piloting a ship.

For example the person piloting in this image:

Is he sitting on a chair or crawling into a box? In fact, SM should give players the freedom to make their ship how they want, and letting you connect the chair to any computer actually makes 100% of the players happy (You, who doesn't want to sit while piloting, and me who wants to sit while piloting and even that other guy who wants to have the computer in front of the chair).

Also, the StarMade trailer shows a person piloting his ship while sitting. You do the math! :P
    [DOUBLEPOST=1421142763,1421142467][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Technically you can jump on a ship's computer and just touch whatever you want (if the idiot captain gave you access to the bridge).

Sitting is already in the game, I see no need for a dedicated chair block.
    I actually hope different chairs appear (I don't mind what type, I just want it to be different) because sitting in front of a table right now is just UGLY. I feel like a 6yo who's peeking over the table.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    They're not implying that a fleet commander should be piloting at the same time (which he should if he wants to because freedom of choice), they're implying that you should be able to not disappear into a 1x1x1 block when piloting a ship.
    Of course. If I want to pilot the ship I should be able to do it from a seat (or standing). I've never questioned that. When's the last time you crawled inside of a personal computer to operate it?

Also, the StarMade trailer shows a person piloting his ship while sitting. You do the math!
    True. That makes it worse.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1421170893,1421170695][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I actually hope different chairs appear (I don't mind what type, I just want it to be different) because sitting in front of a table right now is just UGLY. I feel like a 6yo who's peeking over the table.
    Yep. I sit 1m away from it, and the table's a meter high! ...see something wrong with this picture? How am I supposed to write/type on or eat off of that?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Of course. If I want to pilot the ship I should be able to do it from a seat (or standing). I've never questioned that. When's the last time you crawled inside of a personal computer to operate it?
    Sorry, I completely understood you implied linking a chair to a core was a bad idea/unrealistic!

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I agree, It also doesn't make sence for someone to somehow SIT on a smooth metal triangle without sliding down.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I agree, It also doesn't make sence for someone to somehow SIT on a smooth metal triangle without sliding down.
    I think it's more of a stand-in feature since we don't have chairs and people have been using wedges for a long time.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I've never understood all the rage about chairs. Adding a cgair block and then allowing people to link it to a computer or core would be nice for both types of people (Not a fan of chairs myself actually).

I can see it being used to connect multiple weapon computers to a single control block (Co-pilot), in which case I hope there is a block-based version of said function.

And since there are so many chair fanatics here, can I ask what you expect a chair to look like? I expect something like a glorified 3/4th block using the 'full block by the edge' sitting animation, so I'm lost in all this hype :/

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I think it's more of a stand-in feature since we don't have chairs and people have been using wedges for a long time.
    Yeah, that is what I was thinking, but some people are saying 'Why do we need chairs when we have wedges?'.