A Suggestion about mechas land vehicles, robots and armor

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Same way a quadruped does. They don't.

They get immobilized and killed by the bigger mecha or foot soldiers with RPGs.

You can't really apply strict real life rules to mecha because the only place mecha would have in a real life scenario is either-
    a) in space, as legs don't matter regardless, but neither does any shape for that matter.
    b) being very small like Knightmare Frames (Code Geass) or Scopedogs (Armored Trooper Votoms), basically at that point borderline power armor.
    c) quadrupeds or higher in very rough, uneven terrain for maneuverability and the ability to raise or lower their profile.

I'd rather not just be limited to >=4 legs. You'll see a lot more creativity and a lot more nice recreations too, since there's a lot more giant robots in Japanese media than there is in western sci-fi.
    Oh, I wasn't saying that bipedal mechs should be impossible, I was just saying that practically, there is really no reason at all to build one.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Oh, I wasn't saying that bipedal mechs should be impossible, I was just saying that practically, there is really no reason at all to build one.
    Same with quadrupeds though. I say either validate both or none at all because legs are a huge weakness for machines no matter the number. If we're going to talk fictional and in terms of Star Made though, two legs have an advantage over four in that if you can get the balance for them working (in fiction), 2 legs are cheaper and have less chances of failing mechanically by virtue of less moving parts (in fiction). Four on the other hand has redundancy, but that's also more expensive and more maintenance (in fiction).

In the end though, tanks are always going to be a million times more practical, so practicality is out the window when talking about mecha really.

Reaction score
    hmm it is a good idea but the problem is that planets would be I guess too small for them to be used on combat unless its on the ship itself, if the vehicle is on the planet, it could easily be vapourised by ships unless there is a truce between the two oppositions and fight each other on land, which would be pretty damn awesome hahah

I think the repulsors would be best for vehicles though, as they would much easier to code than legs or wheels :P makes it alot more easier to implement..

If this idea is actually used by schema that would be awesome, most likely there would be huge tanks battling on land, also the weapons can be a modified version of AMC's for now, slow rate of fire but more damage to compensate.. otherwise it would be just lasers everywhere..

Reaction score
    I'm surprised nobody is talking about the armor part, since you need protection from these new upcoming vehicles. Something that takes away some damage could mean life or death. But I see how it could be a hassle. How would the armor react to say, fighter fire? Or even mech fire? Would it be unrealistic and take away a percentage of damage from every shot like hull does? Or would it crumble against heavier fire?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Star Commander Shepard i talked about armor as a possible re-use of the coded developped to make mechs, i didn't thought about it deeply. I think it could be based on the hull used to made them but it shouldn't allow to survive fighter fire or mech fire, after all a soldier can't survive against a tank.

Doomerzzz thanks, planet size is a setting on server config the new planets are bigger and mech wouldn't be too big to stay practical so i think size wouldn't be an issue why do you think mech shouldn't use the same weapons as ships ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fellow Starmadian

Oh cool so thats what this is
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Still got to wonder what a ground vehicle would be used for, let alone how strong the armor is or what weapons would be usable on it. Think about it: You can make a mecha, which is fine, or you could make a space ship that isn't land locked and can be much bigger with fewer weaknesses.
    I really want to see what people would make if this got added to the game though.:D

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Fellow Starmadian here a list of uses about mechs.

1º. You can put over a blank turret spot of a enemy ship as a player and start shoting furrets or get aggro from turrets to make the turrets hit his own ship, that suposing that using a mech works like use an astronaut, while you touch a ship an press the space key you stay in the same "area" that the ship you touched, if he moves you moves too, if the ship turns you turns too.

2º. If someday wild dungeons appear its a real nice way to explore it and dont die in some shots.

3º If pirate bases have the loot hidden its one form of find it.

Lecic The human form in a machine is more than desirable for use as a machine way.

A pilot would take less time to have some skill and strategy, and for sure the psicological way works in the cultural way too, too many 2 legged mechs.

Sorry for my lack of english.
    Well, piloting being easier or not would depend on whether or not the pilot has physical movements in a cockpit matched by the mech, or is simply controlling it like a standard vehicle.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Still got to wonder what a ground vehicle would be used for, let alone how strong the armor is or what weapons would be usable on it. Think about it: You can make a mecha, which is fine, or you could make a space ship that isn't land locked and can be much bigger with fewer weaknesses.
    I really want to see what people would make if this got added to the game though.:D
    If players make bases on planets, mecha and ground vehicles can be used to attack underground structures directly instead of attacking blindly from the atmosphere. Missile radius got a big nerf last patch, so orbital bombardment wouldn't be the go to option. Think of them as the frontal assault team.

However, that would require their parts to have to be a lot smaller than the standard 1m cubed blocks. Otherwise there really isn't a point other than more options.

Reaction score
    I like the idea but does not work on the planet set up, first ships can shoot at whatever on the ground and planet are way too small for something like that to be useful to players for example why drive if you can take three big jumps, and if its war you try to fight what the point if a big ship can come out the sky and blow the planet up. Then if its armor you want for you players what or they fight that they need that even the small pistol was pointless because it sever no purpose in game. To do what your say will take a new planet set up one that is more big and I mean massive so big that their shouldn’t be no ship big or wider then it, so big that it needs it own sky, clouds, sun and still mountain a round shape cause of it massive size it should feel like you’re walking on a flat planet. Thank for read comment if you did is was pretty long. :D

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I like the idea but does not work on the planet set up, first ships can shoot at whatever on the ground and planet are way too small for something like that to be useful to players for example why drive if you can take three big jumps, and if its war you try to fight what the point if a big ship can come out the sky and blow the planet up. Then if its armor you want for you players what or they fight that they need that even the small pistol was pointless because it sever no purpose in game. To do what your say will take a new planet set up one that is more big and I mean massive so big that their shouldn’t be no ship big or wider then it, so big that it needs it own sky, clouds, sun and still mountain a round shape cause of it massive size it should feel like you’re walking on a flat planet. Thank for read comment if you did is was pretty long. :D
    Well, with faction points up-and-coming, it will be possible to take out a perma-shielded faction base if you kill enough of that faction's members. So, ground vehicles could be used to assault an enemy's home base, and would do the job much better than just astronauts.

Reaction score
    Well, with faction points up-and-coming, it will be possible to take out a perma-shielded faction base if you kill enough of that faction's members. So, ground vehicles could be used to assault an enemy's home base, and would do the job much better than just astronauts.
    Would you like to declare an assault on a planet that can bombard you with lag as a self-defense weapon?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Would you like to declare an assault on a planet that can bombard you with lag as a self-defense weapon?
    Planet lag doesn't mean we shouldn't get at least basic hover vehicles, which the devs have already talked about adding, and just need some way to balance them so they aren't complete and utter crap against fighters.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Fellow Starmadian arkudo and Viridis00 gave you a better answer than what i could think of

darkstar64 sorry for the late reply, i stopped playing for a while. Lecic already gave you answers i agree with
    - for the lag issue : i believe the work on optimisation will make it dissapear
    - the possibilitie of orbital strike : i think at some point planetary would be added to prottect the ground and to balance things.
    - about armor and gun being pointless : i hope in the future player equipment would be improved (excelent suggestion) and that boarding ships and stations could become possible, it would be awesome to board a massive ship and wander in it with vehicles to take its control or to protect it

To bad this suggestion didn't get the attention of the dev team, i would have liked to ear their opinion, at least on the feasibility