A solution to almost non-existant faction warfare.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This suggestion was originally posted on another thread, but since it is dramaticly different from what was suggested and didn't gather much interest, I'm making a seperate thread for it here.

Currently as it stands, there is very little reason for faction warfare in Starmade. I've seen many threads on how to fix this problem and most of them simply suggest ways of how to remove faction homebase protection. I think I have a better idea. I suggest that factions would need to set up beacons (stations with special beacon blocks) to increase mining multiplier.

Any extra minerals earned with the multiplier would be stored in the beacons, so having too many beacons would mean that to transport all of them into one homebase would take a longer time also giving a use for transport ships. Plus, if the transporter has no jumpdrive (which is likely, since one is not neccesary for inter-system travel) enemy ships could tail them and find out the locations of the beacons. Of course, you can also add turrets to increase their defensive capabilities.

The beacons would need to be spread out throughout the star system (so that you couldn't bundle them all up and wrap them into another station that's set a homebase and make them invulnerable) and obviously, it would be difficult to protect them all. You wouldn't be able to see them on the universe map, only on nav menu and the more you destroy, the more the mining multiplier of the enemy faction decreases while the homebase remains protected.

Of course, there would need to be a softcap on the total mining multiplier. For example, first beacon adds 1x, another 0.9x, another 0.8x and so on.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Great idea, I think this could help with faction combat as well as normal combat in general, although I think what may help this mining multiplier seem more immersive is to base its effect on how many asteroids there are in a sector or system, this would require larger asteroid clusters which I feel would also add a lot to the diversity of gameplay economical-wise, ship design-wise and combat-wise.

To defend these hard to find asteroid clusters and expensive mining stations would require tightly knit defence networks among the asteroids as well as specialized craft to safely navigate the field ( This would require a more in-depth collision damage system though to really pose a threat, this way capitals won't just plough through an asteroid field, or any ship for that matter...)

Factions could seige and blockade an installation and with a bit of thinking come up with other creative combat situations. This could also put a greater influence on infantry combat and give more need for smaller dropships and troop transports and give other ship types more of a job to do in general.

Reactions: Mariux
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Plus, if the transporter has no jumpdrive (which is likely, since one is not neccesary for inter-system travel)
    For the record, as long as charging and activating the jumpdrive does not take longer than the non-jump travel, jumpdrives will be favored(unless any admin enforced rule or player-RP prevents it).

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I agree with this but I think it touches on a small part of a larger problem ... there is very little purpose to anything in Starmade.

If you are not in to role play then you have:

1. no reason to land on any planets unless you are making it your faction home base
    2. no reason to land on any stations
    3. no reason to go to other galaxies
    4. no reason to go to any default stations
    5. no reason to build any stations other than to house warp-gates

none of these things actually provide any interactivity or reward of any kind. Take for example building a station. Unless you want to make it your faction home base or build a warp gate then there is no point in building any space stations at all. Hopefully this will change with shipyards but even then the building of a ship is going to be the only reason you have to dock at a station and actually go inside other than for role play purposes. A whole lot more depth is needed for this game... there needs to be more than an imaginary reason to have an infirmary or a bar, or a bedroom in space stations. more than an imaginary reason to build a city on a planet, or travel to another galaxy or explore a derelict station ... etc. [/rant] :)

p.s. I do actually quite like this game, its just that it has a lot of unrealised potential at the moment. suppose that comes with playing a game still in development

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I agree with this but I think it touches on a small part of a larger problem ... there is very little purpose to anything in Starmade.

If you are not in to role play then you have:

1. no reason to land on any planets unless you are making it your faction home base
    2. no reason to land on any stations
    3. no reason to go to other galaxies
    4. no reason to go to any default stations
    5. no reason to build any stations other than to house warp-gates

none of these things actually provide any interactivity or reward of any kind. Take for example building a station. Unless you want to make it your faction home base or build a warp gate then there is no point in building any space stations at all. Hopefully this will change with shipyards but even then the building of a ship is going to be the only reason you have to dock at a station and actually go inside other than for role play purposes. A whole lot more depth is needed for this game... there needs to be more than an imaginary reason to have an infirmary or a bar, or a bedroom in space stations. more than an imaginary reason to build a city on a planet, or travel to another galaxy or explore a derelict station ... etc. [/rant] :)

p.s. I do actually quite like this game, its just that it has a lot of unrealised potential at the moment. suppose that comes with playing a game still in development
    The beacons ARE space stations with special beacon blocks. You can add docks, living area, whatever you want. It also gives a reason to take default stations as you can buy them and fit them with beacon systems. Plus, they work as disguises, looking like an average space station while they house a beacon that enemies would want to destroy.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The beacons ARE space stations with special beacon blocks. You can add docks, living area, whatever you want. It also gives a reason to take default stations as you can buy them and fit them with beacon systems. Plus, they work as disguises, looking like an average space station while they house a beacon that enemies would want to destroy.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear in my OP.

I know that the beacons would be space stations and this is one very good way of giving them more meaning. it's a good idea, a good start. there just need to be many more ideas like this to add more functionality to stations.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Sorry, I didn't make myself clear in my OP.

I know that the beacons would be space stations and this is one very good way of giving them more meaning. it's a good idea, a good start. there just need to be many more ideas like this to add more functionality to stations.
    Well, I guess my idea can deal with problems 4, 5 and I guess 2 if we're going with the "visit the station to take the bonus" approach. Problem 1 could be fixed by adding mobs which is already planned.

Reaction score
    I like the idea but I wouldn't call this a solution. It is a piece of a complex content and much larger package that needs to be developed.

Let's talk more about the blocks for this, and how they will provide a bonus while the sector is inactive.

First thing is maybe making the effect more localized might be more beneficial. For example, maybe the bonus it gives would be for sectors within 2 of the station. This would allow a small faction to still get one station going and not have to fight for an entire system. Granted this effect shouldn't be like the Shop of faction block. It should be a block solution that produces diminishing returns as the count is increased on the station. The blocks themselves should have a fairly high power consumption to reduce the chances of mining super fortresses.

Now someone mentioned planets being still useless. How about a planet only block that 'mines' passively while on a planet. It would essentially queue up minerals based on the plate content of the planet is on. (Or it can be done by area of effect, just search from a point for minerals which go on the list it collects). This can be done while the sector is inactive. Minerals queue up by time stamp. Last update to sector would give a time frame and then multiply out the difference. Then you just have to land and pick up your storage box of minerals. It is possible to have a system like this in space, but I think the game needs more planet exclusive boxes.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Now someone mentioned planets being still useless. How about a planet only block that 'mines' passively while on a planet. It would essentially queue up minerals based on the plate content of the planet is on. (Or it can be done by area of effect, just search from a point for minerals which go on the list it collects). This can be done while the sector is inactive. Minerals queue up by time stamp. Last update to sector would give a time frame and then multiply out the difference. Then you just have to land and pick up your storage box of minerals. It is possible to have a system like this in space, but I think the game needs more planet exclusive boxes.
    Hey look, you just repeated keptick 's idea.

Reaction score
    Hey look, you just repeated keptick 's idea.
    Kepticks idea? Now I feel dirty. Lol

Sadly I responded via cell phone and its not easy reading this site from a cell phone. if you have a link I would love to read it, didn't see him post in this thread but maybe I missed it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    While I tend to agree that there is much unrealized potential in Starmade in as much as there is not alot to do, I dunno that turning it into Guild-Wars-in-Spaaaaace or Starmade-side is the best course of action. Plenty of these types of games out there, StarMade is going to have to be different to succeed over the long haul (IMO)