A small gameplay suggestion

Reaction score
    In fact i've prepared this for a good amout of time so there is a lot coming in, brace yourself.

Control points

What i'm thinking of is that the way we control systems should be completely changed. Currently it's simply easy, build a station or put a faction module somewhere in one of the sectors of the system and there ! You claim the system if it wasn't already claimed and what if the system is already claimed by someone else ? Go find another one, especially if it's a homebase station. So what i'm suggesting ?

Claiming systems with a invulnerable and already build station in every systems, a control point. This station should be near the center of the system simply because it is the center point of the system, it's where we'll fight for to claim systems. Of course theses stations should be open and small to allow people to easily play and fight around, for example a station a bit smaller than current shop look good for that kind of stuff.
    Theses stations should be easy to find in the galaxy map, like for faction's homes. We would basically just need a new faction bloc for owning systems and remove the possibility to claim systems from the current one.

Why ? Because it add a purpose for expanding in the game, a reason to fight for the control of your system without putting your homebase here and claim it via the faction bloc. Also it is a choke point for fights between players/factions.

How to deal with someone that will sneak in with a cloaked ship to steal your system ? We could imagine for example that the sector and the ones nearby should be revealing cloak and jammed ship even though there isn't the need of a protection to be implemented to be able to protect your own control point with a fleet/station with turrets set to shoot at astronauts.

What's the difference with someone that will claim with a faction bloc ? Because we don't want to be forced to check every station, rock or planets of the system to find the faction module and destroy it. Also see above for the idea of a choke point for wars and it is less restrictive for factions as they can keep their stations without seeing it being crippled by shoots in attempt to destroy the faction module. For example a war for the control of several systems is more than the one that got the biggest, it is a war of movements around several choke points to see who will respond the fastest to claim systems and destroy the possibility to the ennemy to respond. Strategy boyz.

What about NPC's factions ? Nothing changing differently from currently, why should it ?

Systems rents

Systems should reward players for being owned, currently we just own systems for the mining bonuses and that's it. I'm suggesting something else for owning systems. Every hours, or whatsoever, systems will give a rent to the faction that own the system. The rent should be in credits and calculated from the number of populated planets/stations of the system. Systems with only one populated station would give less credits than a system with more stations, of course that shouldn't be linear at all but logarithmic so owning 2 systems with 1 station each would give more credits than 1 system with 2 stations. Simple logic to expand with rewards at the end.

How to prevent people from building one bloc stations all around ? Calculating that from the total mass of stations, if people just make giant boxes of advanced hulls theses stations will be giant target practices for the first one that will want to mess with them. Also with the crew system that will be coming in the future we could target the number of crew needed and hired for every stations and planets in the system to calculate our rent.

Why credits and not ore ? Because we can't do anything with credits, we can simply invest it in something else. I know this can be hard to see the first time but someone with credits will spend it, he will spend it in shops and maybe will buy things to other players. If you simply give ore that will never happen, if you give credits it will eventually happen instead of buying everything from npc's shops. Even though everyone would buy from npc's shops it would create flux and trading convoys to attack and rob.

What does it need ? Just a bloc to be a bank to store our credits in case we go higher than the current java's number cap. That's something that would help a lot. Also it would need the possibility to recover the credits from the control point in the system.

Different mining bonuses

Yup, i said it wasn't short. So current mining bonus work in our own territory, it's the easy way to go and it should be the invert. We should turn off asteroïds respawn in claimed systems, like npc's factions currently work, and make neutral systems where we go for mining.

Why ? Because that way players will have choices. You can farm your credits with the system and buy stuff with it OR you got into a dangerous unclaimed systems that is full of pirates. Also this could create a lot of interaction between players, some will prefer the danger to mine while some other won't risk outside and will prefer to buy the ore needed.

So how do we get bonuses for mining ? Simply when you mine something outside the system, based on your faction and not the system's faction. This also encourage factions with a lot of people inside and not one man factions where you get everything around you. When things are further and you need more risk, people tend to stick together.

Random encounters

That is something soooo much needed for us players. So what i'm suggesting ? Pirates stations that got chances to spawn every hours or another amout of time in every systems owned. The pirate station would then send pirates waves all over the system to populated stations and steal all or a part of the system's rent. You could look at it like a lot of adventures games, pirates waves would be the minions and then the station itself would be the boss.

We could also make the same kind of encounters for NPC's factions that are in war with us, spawning in our systems and attacking until the outpost is destroyed... Until another one spawn again. Nearest systems from npc's should have more chances when more distant systems would have less.

I think that is all folks. Here is a cookie for reading until the end ! Note that everything could be separated but everything is supposed to work together.