A Simple Trapdoor.

Reaction score
    What I ask for is this:

Something akin to a Trapdoor from Minecraft. Something i can put over a block and activate it to move out of the way slightly, and then i can interact with things behind it without closing the trapdoor.

Like, if i wanted a self destruct mechanism, and i want to make sure i only press it when i want to press it, so i'd put one of those flip up clear boxes around it.

Right now, the only tools id have to accomplish with this with are Door, which activate and re activate unless i put my head in the hole past them, Or a rail and secondary ship system, which again takes alot more space than i'd want to dedicate to something like that.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Anyone else remembering when you could rotate wedges in astronaut mode by pressing R?

Reactions: Lecic

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    you could always just make a small 1 block rail door to cover up your self-destruct button?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Assuming you didn't have to use a button you could use an area trigger that you need to jump up into to activate it. I have used this to disarm or arm my internal weapon traps. Otherwise you will need a small rail door or an air gap between a door and the button.

You could also use a two stage activation so you have to turn two switches on.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If we had a mechanism to activate doors only with logic (maybe turn off manual control when connected to logic, as has been suggested many times), then you could supposedly activate what is behind the "door" block without closing the door. But that will require a change in the way doors work with logic. Namely, making it possible to remove manual control.

Maybe there could be a fancy way to return manual control to the door, based on logic. Example: Attaching a "Not" block to the activator that directly interfaces the door block. If the "NOT" is enabled, the logic connection to the door is effectively disabled, allowing manual control of the door again. However, for this suggestion thread, deactivating the exclusive logic control is not necessary.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    you could always just make a small 1 block rail door to cover up your self-destruct button?
    You'd need a small space between the button and the door to stand in, otherwise you'd keep closing the door.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Great idea. I would prefer not to use a solution that involves a rail-entity.

A trapdoor could also have another fun use...as an actual trap-door, you know, for like setting traps and stuff. :eek:

*A more boring solution would change the way logic interacts with plex-doors, blast-doors and force-fields. Schine could add lock-out option if a Door is C/V slaved then ignores manual activation of the door. You would only be able to activate the door by logic (for as long as logic is linked).

Last edited:

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You'd need a small space between the button and the door to stand in, otherwise you'd keep closing the door.
    I'm sorry. Your statement is simply incorrect. A rail door would not force you to close it from the open position.
    If it were a plex door or a blast door, then your statement would be correct, but since you are replying to the use of "a small 1 block rail door" [emphasis mine], then no.

Reaction score
    How many blocks does that "small 1 block rail door" use? Let's see... at least two rails, a docker and a core for the door entity, plus a cosmetic block or two for the door leaf. Then you need a button, a flipflop, a not, two more control rails, and optionally two or more additional blocks if you want to deactivate the rails with a rail speed controller to reduce lag. If I'm not mistaken, that's nine blocks for the absolute minimum "one block rail door", and that is just plain ridiculous just to cover a hole.

My vote for "proper" doors. Not to replace the plex doors, but to augment them.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    How many blocks does that "small 1 block rail door" use? Let's see... at least two rails, a docker and a core for the door entity, plus a cosmetic block or two for the door leaf. Then you need a button, a flipflop, a not, two more control rails, and optionally two or more additional blocks if you want to deactivate the rails with a rail speed controller to reduce lag. If I'm not mistaken, that's nine blocks for the absolute minimum "one block rail door", and that is just plain ridiculous just to cover a hole.

My vote for "proper" doors. Not to replace the plex doors, but to augment them.
    Nothing beats the awesomeness of a rail door. :p